Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 06:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Pittnurse, building along a brownfield would still allow big box retail to have their parking lots. Also that can be fixed if we had smart politicians that doesnt do anything that a developer(IKEA) wants. I am suprised by that because Boulder is know for its progressive movement against urban sprawl.
Well, IKEA didn't locate there b/c the mall (29th St) can't be seen from the highway. If you want to talk about Boulder's "progressiveness", go over to the Colorado forum and we'll talk. It's a joke, to say the least.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:18 PM

713 posts, read 1,865,812 times
I think a lot of the "anti-sprawl" stuff is just groupthink. There's a whole anti-suburb, anti-develompment cult on the internet, led by folks like James Howard Kunstler, et. al. It's just accepted that "sprawl" is bad, and that we need to give our politicians more control over our lives to prevent it. There's a whole armageddon scenario due to peak-oil etc. It's almost like a religion.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:22 PM

322 posts, read 300,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Well, IKEA didn't locate there b/c the mall (29th St) can't be seen from the highway. If you want to talk about Boulder's "progressiveness", go over to the Colorado forum and we'll talk. It's a joke, to say the least.
a bunch of hippie liberal pot smokers...... All talk, no walk. That is the way I saw Boulder.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
a bunch of hippie liberal pot smokers...... All talk, no walk. That is the way I saw Boulder.
That's close. I agree.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
I think a lot of the "anti-sprawl" stuff is just groupthink. There's a whole anti-suburb, anti-develompment cult on the internet, led by folks like James Howard Kunstler, et. al. It's just accepted that "sprawl" is bad, and that we need to give our politicians more control over our lives to prevent it. There's a whole armageddon scenario due to peak-oil etc. It's almost like a religion.
Yeah, and can't the same thing can be said about the "applebee's eating, Sprawlmart shopping, controlled by retailers and consumption, gas consuming, debt swallowing, suburbinites" types? Its a religion of over consumption.

In all seriousness, I think I outlined my point of what I think of suburbs and sprawl. I pretty much stated that I am not against suburbs, just excessive sprawl. You keep making it like I want politicians to run our lives in a fascist form of govenment. I really can't help you if you can't see the reasons that I believe sprawl is bad. I also can't help you if you can't try to see the points I stated in hoping to have politicians control their town's codes better. You don't think your local government doesn't control the development of townships and towns already? What is wrong with voicing a opinion on it?

Old 11-15-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
That's close. I agree.
I do like Boulder's laws against light pollution though. I am a astronomer and when I was a teen and in college I couldn't even take my telescope in the back yard because of people burning six 500 watt floodlights to create shadows in their yard. Those hippie Boulder liberals only allowed .2 footcandles (a lighting measurement, which is very low) allowed at exterior buildings.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:34 PM

713 posts, read 1,865,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
What is wrong with voicing a opinion on it?
Nothing at all. I just disagreed with your opinion, not the fact that you said it. You should say it...that's what a forum is for...

Old 11-15-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
Nothing at all. I just disagreed with your opinion, not the fact that you said it. You should say it...that's what a forum is for...
Ok, your not bad Kpoeppel. I hope you never think I am trying to offend you. I just get angry at the people who never say anything back as a counter argument, but send me personal messages stating I am a whinny B*tch.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Don't come crawling back into the cities and towns then when you can no longer afford fuel for your SUVs.
i would give you rep points if i had any left. wow good post.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:57 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
i would give you rep points if i had any left. wow good post.
Actually in hindsight it wasn't. It was a little mean and off-base actually. Sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh