Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 06:14 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times

Advertisements

I'm considering which of three houses to buy. All are in very good condition and are affordable and liveable homes. Within my price range, I was confined to certain affordable areas. Here are the 3 choices (so far):

1) An adorable, rather modest 2 bedroom bungalow in Turtle Creek (not the part that floods). I've always liked this town. I have a feeling I could pay for this house with cash, instead of having to get a mortgage, which is a big plus. There really aren't any downsides to this house that I can see, other than I might regret not buying something a bit more fabulous...which leads me to:

2) A gorgeous, 3 bedroom Craftsman home with driveway and garage, in one of the nicest parts of West Park / Stowe. This is my current neighborhood, which I like very much. I love everything about this house. The downside is it would require a mortgage for me to purchase and the taxes are not too cheap.

3) A modest Civil War era home in Spring Hill, 3 bedrooms and a garage, and move in ready. The downside is it is going to take some effort and money to restore its Old World charm, which has largely been updated / removed. However, it is an immaculate and cute house. I just am not crazy about the interior aesthetics, and some missing trim and mantles. There is a possibility that I could pay cash for this house if they come down on the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 06:22 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I'm considering which of three houses to buy. All are in very good condition and are affordable and liveable homes. Within my price range, I was confined to certain affordable areas. Here are the 3 choices (so far):

1) An adorable, rather modest 2 bedroom bungalow in Turtle Creek (not the part that floods). I've always liked this town. I have a feeling I could pay for this house with cash, instead of having to get a mortgage, which is a big plus. There really aren't any downsides to this house that I can see, other than I might regret not buying something a bit more fabulous...which leads me to:

2) A gorgeous, 3 bedroom Craftsman home with driveway and garage, in one of the nicest parts of West Park / Stowe. This is my current neighborhood, which I like very much. I love everything about this house. The downside is it would require a mortgage for me to purchase and the taxes are not too cheap.

3) A modest Civil War era home in Spring Hill, 3 bedrooms and a garage, and move in ready. The downside is it is going to take some effort and money to restore its Old World charm, which has largely been updated / removed. However, it is an immaculate and cute house. I just am not crazy about the interior aesthetics, and some missing trim and mantles. There is a possibility that I could pay cash for this house if they come down on the price.
Either #1 or #2.

Having read you here for a couple of years, I think your biggest issue is your level of comfort with having a mortgage. If you buy #2, how quickly would you be able to pay it off without living on ramen and canned tuna? Will you have enough money left over each month to take care of your needs?

OTOH, you'll save on gas money, too, if you buy #1, n'est-ce pas? And not need to go through tunnels or bridges to get to work? My friend The Coupon King is moving again, and not spending any more on gas money than he absolutely has to is, in large part, what's fueling this move.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:26 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
There are benefits to all three. But the freedom of not having a mortgage is huge. Could you live with the civil war house as it is? That sounds awesome and then restore it in time? One just cannot get those anymore.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:28 AM

I would have plenty of money to pay the mortgage payment and have plenty left over. I just think of it from the perspective of "what if" I lose my job, etc.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
There are benefits to all three. But the freedom of not having a mortgage is huge. Could you live with the civil war house as it is? That sounds awesome and then restore it in time? One just cannot get those anymore.
I agree. I see benefits to all three. The Turtle Creek house would be the easiest commute to work (East Liberty), but Spring Hill would also be fairly convenient. I've been doing the Stowe commute for four years, though, and it isn't too bad.

The Civil War era house is in the best shape of all three (although all are in move in condition), but it's the only one that isn't historically intact inside (trim and mantles), which bothers me. The outside looks like it is intact under the vinyl, though. The other two houses are extremely well preserved, meaning all of the old stuff is there and in good shape. I could just move in and start decorating. The Spring Hill house would be kind of a vinyl sided (but immaculate) eyesore for a while.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:40 AM

101 posts, read 190,735 times
Personally, I like the idea of the Craftsman style house. I love the style, it's old fashioned and cute, especially if it has a porch large enough to put a couple of chairs or a porch swing on it to relax in the evening.

The renovations of the Spring Hill one would be fun too though, seeing it move from eyesore to showpiece.

The bungalow is probably my least favorite of the three. Although the idea of paying with cash is a draw, it wouldn't be a strong enough motivator to me, especially if it is for a house I am not thrilled to be buying.

If it were me, I would go with the Craftsman.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:53 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
I'd stay in Stowe, you're familiar with the area and it really isn't difficult getting around out there or parking your ride.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Tough call. I'd say #1 or #2 also but I'm leaning heavily towards #2.

#1 -- My girlfriend lives in Turtle Creek. It's not a bad area. It has a grocery store and other the community amenities. My only concern is that the house is small. You seemed to be looking for more space.

#2 -- I like that you already live in this area. You won't be needing to blaze a new trail. I love Craftsman Bungalows. You say you can easily afford the mortgage.

Why I don't like #3 -- I've lived on Spring Hill. I never considered it to be dangerous. It's not. But there is NOTHING up there. Nothing. You'll have to shoot up McKnight Road for grocery shopping if you don't want to shop in that dump of a Giant Eagle in East Allegheny. I don't like that it has siding. Even though the exterior looks intact, it's going to be a big deal to restore the exterior and you already don't like that you need to replace the trim and mantels for the interior.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:33 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Stay in Stowe.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:44 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post

Just going by my perception of who you are and what you're into from our brief discussions on here:

1.You're going to regret the not fabulous
2.Not a bad idea if you're just looking for a new home and are ready to hang up your hobby.
3.You've talked about the neighborhood, or close to it before anyway. Restoration is your thing, and I assume you would take additional pleasure from bringing an "updated" home back from the dark side.

I feel like #3 would suite you just based upon your description of each property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh