Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should city employees be required to live within the city limits?
Yes 42 61.76%
No 26 38.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 10:35 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,556,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i voted to keep the requirement (FOR the referendum).

i read most of the responses - im glad most people feel the same.

if you are paid with city dollars, it is not tyrannical, exactly, to expect you to live in the borders of the body that provides you with employment.

i think everyone associated with the schools should have to do the same
I also feel that when it comes to city employees and police in particular, those are civic jobs. The location of your job IS everything. My job can be done anywhere I have the Internet and my laptop. In regards to city employees, there is something to be said about them living in the same community where they work. Being a police officer isn't "just a job." It is specific to the community of which you are one. I simply don't approve of the idea of a city cop, living in Hempfield (Since I pick on Cranberry, I've chosen Hempfield) and driving into the city, working, and then leaving...meanwhile, he or she is a public figure for the city of Pittsburgh. Being a valuable member of the community also speaks volumes. Clearly, the majority of people who voted agree on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 11:35 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,922,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
Again, i think this vote was irrelevant. I forsee the residency requirement being dropped within 5 years or sooner. The city has trouble filling and retaining employees. People move or choose not to live in the city because of the school district. A judge will have the final say. I see this going as the same way as the ruling in cleveland for the same reason.

Really???

Taken from the Pgh Police Website....

We are not currently recruiting however, if you are interested in the position, you can submit an online Job Interest Card on our Online Employment Center which will ensure that you are contacted via email once the next recruitment period begins. We anticipate the next recruitment period to be in the Fall of 2014.

Taken from the Pgh Firefighters website (who support residency requirements)....

We are not currently recruiting for the position of Firefighter. However, we encourage you to visit our Online Employment Center. Register online and then submit an online Job Interest Card for the Firefighter position. Once the next recruitment period begins, you will automatically be notified via email to officially apply for the position.

And there are only 7 job openings posted on the city website.....

Seems like this is a manufactured crisis......

Old 11-06-2013, 11:43 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,838,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
I also feel that when it comes to city employees and police in particular, those are civic jobs. The location of your job IS everything.
feel is the operative word here. there is no fact behind it. a police can be just as effective living in millvale as the west end. there is no requirement that people who patrol the hill live in the hill is there? how is regent square more a part of the neighorhood than shaler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
... the majority of people who voted agree on that.
yes, most people FEEL that way but it doesn't make it true.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:44 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,608,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
feel sisthe operative word here. there is no fact behind it. a police can be just as effective living in millvale as the west end.
There's an obvious fact behind it. If someone is unwilling to live somewhere, they obviously don't like that place. And people who don't like where they work, do worse at it.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:48 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,838,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
There's an obvious fact behind it. If someone isunwilling to live somewhere, they obviously don't like that place. And peoplewho don't like where they work, do worse at it.

Except that isn't an obvious fact, just another opinion. There are manyreasons why someone might not want to move just for a job. The fact is thereare no facts that support people’s feelings on the matter. Where someone livesis irrelevant to their performance as a police officer. Things like morale andeven union work rules are far more important.
the only fact is people have no confidence cops would choose to live in the city if given the choice

Old 11-06-2013, 12:09 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,246,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
There's an obvious fact behind it. If someone is unwilling to live somewhere, they obviously don't like that place. And people who don't like where they work, do worse at it.
garbage.

I might not be able to afford to live where I work, or my partner/family may want to live elsewhere or work somewhere that makes moving difficult. Or I may be a ski addict and willing to drive from 7 Springs every day into the city to work. Or want to keep goats to make cheese. Or shoot things out of my bedroom window. Or one of a millions others reasons .... none of which infer I don't like the place where I work.

I may be in the minority, but I still think this rule is more suited to communist Russia circa 1970, not 'the land of the free'. But, c'est la vie, life and all countries are full of strange contradictions, and mainly I can't believe I actually agree with zman63

Old 11-06-2013, 12:12 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,148,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I might not be able to afford to live where I work, or my partner/family may want to live elsewhere or work somewhere that makes moving difficult. Or I may be a ski addict and willing to drive from 7 Springs every day into the city to work. Or want to keep goats to make cheese. Or shoot things out of my bedroom window. Or one of a millions others reasons .... none of which infer I don't like the place where I work.
To ski, you need to live near Seven Springs. To keep a farm, you need to live in a rural area. To be a police officer for the city of Pittsburgh, you need to live in Pittsburgh. Seems logically consistent to me.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:13 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,566,102 times
Then again, it would be great to have a Pittsburgh Mayor from McCandless.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:18 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,097,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Then again, it would be great to have a Pittsburgh Mayor from McCandless.
Annexation?...My reading of the above post indicates Copanut supports the annexation of the North Hills by the City. Despite all the rantings otherwise I always suspected there was a secret desire to live within the City and now...proof!!!

Old 11-06-2013, 12:20 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,246,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
To ski, you need to live near Seven Springs. To keep a farm, you need to live in a rural area. To be a police officer for the city of Pittsburgh, you need to live in Pittsburgh. Seems logically consistent to me.
I don't 'need' to live near 7 Springs to ski or rural areas to 'farm', but I may 'choose' to.

Choice and necessity are different.

Restricting choice is restricting freedom. Like in communism ... c'mon zman63, back me up

Last edited by gortonator; 11-06-2013 at 12:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh