Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 08:42 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,705 times

Advertisements

eschaton, you are so correct in your assessment. I't like having a casket in the room with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 08:55 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The existence of Allegheny Center is the biggest trepidation my wife and I have about moving to the North Side. I mean, the residential neighborhoods are getting better and better all around, but you're basically forced to live next door to a rotting corpse of failed mid-century urban planning.
Walking around the commons is pretty drab and droll, but walking through the commons is actually kind of pleasant other than the 30 seconds it takes to get through the mall building itself.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:05 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Walking around the commons is pretty drab and droll, but walking through the commons is actually kind of pleasant other than the 30 seconds it takes to get through the mall building itself.
The times I've had to bike around the Commons have been absolutely awful. Particularly when I need to get to Western Avenue and since it's one way have to go the long way around.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:57 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The existence of Allegheny Center is the biggest trepidation my wife and I have about moving to the North Side. I mean, the residential neighborhoods are getting better and better all around, but you're basically forced to live next door to a rotting corpse of failed mid-century urban planning.
While working for PNC I had to endure training within this abysmal failed urban planning experiment, and I really wish it had never been constructed in the first place. That land is PRIME real estate for new mid-rise residential rental development to help ease the city's housing crunch. Most likely when PNC builds their new HQ's building, anyways, they'll be consolidating offices from their other Downtown buildings, freeing up more than enough space to absorb the operations they currently have in Allegheny Center. Bank of America, the other "anchor" employer in the old "mall" part of the compound, has been shedding Pittsburgh jobs left and right, so they, too, may not have a need to be in that building much longer. With these two primary "anchors" gone the remaining small offices and suites won't really be able to support the EcoBistro and whatnot, and they, too, will likely shutter.

The 1950s-1970s were a horrible era for Pittsburgh urban planning, and we need to accept that Allegheny Center Mall was ONE of those mistakes (just like the Civic Arena destroying a large chunk of the Hill District and East Liberty's Penn Circle mess) and rectify it.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:38 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
While working for PNC I had to endure training within this abysmal failed urban planning experiment, and I really wish it had never been constructed in the first place. That land is PRIME real estate for new mid-rise residential rental development to help ease the city's housing crunch.

There are 4 apartment houses on the Allegheny Center property already, the original plan called for more in the square but the market could never support it before but maybe now it can.

In actuality, the mall was a great thing while it lasted. Shoppers parked underneath and conveniently took the escalators and elevators to the stores and the place was pretty busy through the 80's. Unfortunately, Sears closed their outlet there when the corporation downsized 20 or so years ago (they closed in East Lib at the same time), Zayre's and Woolworth's closed their chains completely nationwide, and there went the anchors for the mall. Other stores in the old mall included Waldenbooks, Thom McAn and Kelly & Cohen, who lost out to bigger retail concepts like Barnes & Noble, DSW and Best Buy, also closed due to changes in the retail climate.

During the mall's heyday, public transport also stopped right inside the circle, near Sears and the old Post Office- not just from the North Side and Town, but also the 54 C buses and 34 B's from the West End and Mt. Washington. The idea, as far as convenience and assessability to city residents was actually pretty well thought out.

Last edited by I_Like_Spam; 10-26-2013 at 08:55 AM..

Old 10-26-2013, 10:27 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
There are 4 apartment houses on the Allegheny Center property already, the original plan called for more in the square but the market could never support it before but maybe now it can.

In actuality, the mall was a great thing while it lasted. Shoppers parked underneath and conveniently took the escalators and elevators to the stores and the place was pretty busy through the 80's. Unfortunately, Sears closed their outlet there when the corporation downsized 20 or so years ago (they closed in East Lib at the same time), Zayre's and Woolworth's closed their chains completely nationwide, and there went the anchors for the mall. Other stores in the old mall included Waldenbooks, Thom McAn and Kelly & Cohen, who lost out to bigger retail concepts like Barnes & Noble, DSW and Best Buy, also closed due to changes in the retail climate.

During the mall's heyday, public transport also stopped right inside the circle, near Sears and the old Post Office- not just from the North Side and Town, but also the 54 C buses and 34 B's from the West End and Mt. Washington. The idea, as far as convenience and assessability to city residents was actually pretty well thought out.
of course, it didn't last and even if it had been good in the beginning, it is atrociously designed. you could build a mall anywhere, the point was to improve the north side which is most certainly failed miserably at. except for the fact that further plans to idiotically raise more of the north side were met with opposition and was the impetus for people to move in and start fixing up the war streets. now you're left with a white elephant that destroyed the fabric of allegheny city. a passing moment of convenience is hardly the kind of triumph one should expect from such a project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh