Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 09:11 PM

15 posts, read 14,829 times

Advertisements

Feedback appreciated:

https://www.google.com/maps/mm?authuser=0&hl=en

Note: Pink Lines are commuter rail. Also, didn't have time to add all the stops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The problem with a fixed rail system like this is that it becomes costly to abandon and build new lines as circumstances change and the area grows or contracts in different sectors.
Rail transit is the best way to thwart this economic expansion and contraction. Rail permanence is attractive to major investors. Look at any major city, and you'll find that the areas least likely to succumb to contraction, are areas with stable rail transit.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:17 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonVoyage View Post
Feedback appreciated:

https://www.google.com/maps/mm?authuser=0&hl=en

Note: Pink Lines are commuter rail. Also, didn't have time to add all the stops.
Can't see your map.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:46 PM

Sorry, my bad. This should be the correct link.

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...f06334c6&msa=0

Old 11-28-2013, 07:20 AM

1,010 posts, read 1,393,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonVoyage View Post
Sorry, my bad. This should be the correct link.

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...f06334c6&msa=0
I think there should be light rail, but I do not think we should be extending it out as far. I would not extend any of these light rail lines past the first or second ring of suburbs.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:39 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
I think there should be light rail, but I do not think we should be extending it out as far. I would not extend any of these light rail lines past the first or second ring of suburbs.

A large number of people, probably a majority here in Pittsburgh, live in the outlying areas. Don't you think it is important to connect these folks as well?

It would certainly be necessary politically to do so, particularly in getting funding from the state government. This kind of transportation project doesn't help the rural areas, to disengage most of the suburban areas from it as well would seem to doom it as a popular issue for the legislators to vote "aye".

Old 11-28-2013, 07:47 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
A large number of people, probably a majority here in Pittsburgh, live in the outlying areas. Don't you think it is important to connect these folks as well?

It would certainly be necessary politically to do so, particularly in getting funding from the state government. This kind of transportation project doesn't help the rural areas, to disengage most of the suburban areas from it as well would seem to doom it as a popular issue for the legislators to vote "aye".
also important to note that all the lines aren't light rail, the one to Greensburg is commuter rail. I'd go a step further and say rather than commuter rail it should be a regional service like the keystone in the east that runs from Johnstown to Pittsburgh and makes relatively few stops. the further you get from the city the more the geography of the line makes sense. I think the city could do a lot worse than support the AVRR project

Old 11-28-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:

I am not sure, but I am willing to bet most of Allegheny County's population lives within the first two suburban rings.

Why should places like wexford deserve light rail service when they are against consolidation of their local government and school district into a county one? There is going to have to be give and take on this one. I am in favor of using light rail and bus service as the poker chip. I would right size the port authority to just the city limits. If you want to merge into the city you get bus and light rail service. If not then no service for you.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:08 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
I am not sure, but I am willing to bet most of Allegheny County's population lives within the first two suburban rings.

Why should places like wexford deserve light rail service when they are against consolidation of their local government and school district into a county one? There is going to have to be give and take on this one. I am in favor of using light rail and bus service as the poker chip. I would right size the port authority to just the city limits. If you want to merge into the city you get bus and light rail service. If not then no service for you.

They "deserve" it, because they have the vote and will be paying for it.

Unless you want to make light rail and bus service financed and run by the city government alone. I don't see that as very viable. The city government has a difficult enough time taking care of the business they are engaged in right now without taking on further responsibilities.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
They "deserve" it, because they have the vote and will be paying for it.

Unless you want to make light rail and bus service financed and run by the city government alone. I don't see that as very viable. The city government has a difficult enough time taking care of the business they are engaged in right now without taking on further responsibilities.
I have a funny feeling county and city residents already voted for some consolidation. If peduto and fitzgerald are up for sharing services as they have stated, how are people going to feel in wexford feel if their county tax dollars are going to go to help the city pension fund or school district debt? You know they aren't going to get a break in taxes. The leftover money will go to the pension fund or school district since both entities are sharing service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh