Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 12:42 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,663,296 times

Advertisements

You might want to keep it to the $12,000 small claims max, or else it gets a bit more complicated. Not sure, up to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 12:53 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,965 times
Whatever the lawyer say. I would hate complications though.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:52 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,673 times
Does your figure include the cost of the new bathtub and bathroom remodel?

Be sure to think your options through. Of course, your lawyer is going to suggest whatever is in his or her best interest. He might encourage you to sue for the whole 14k, so that he or she can bill you for all those hours involved in pursuing the matter. You might spend more in lawyer fees recouping that extra 2k and wind up with a net loss.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:36 PM

Kippy no, the figure does not include anything about bathroom, except 2 glass shades. They broke one and it's impossible for me to find and exact match so I have 2 buy 2 new ones but they are like under 20$ both.

I requested estimates for the house to be in the state they rented it from me. My re-modeling is outside what I'm suing them for.

The bill includes things like: re-carpeting 3 bedrooms, replacing the vinyl in dining, kitchen and powder room, re-sanding the living room. I have pics of before to show to judge. They cut up a hole in the vinyl and the rest is it is severely scratched by the 2 dogs they had, so that's not normal wear and tear.

Also replacement of a window that's broken, replacement of the outside pipe that's busted, 2 fans replacement, electrician fee, plumber fee (all sinks are clogged), kitchen sink replacement (the sink is chiped and you can put your hand through it and the counter top), stove replacement (bottom is dented and it's filthy as crap), 2 garage door openers, new locks on both doors and locksmith fees - they didn;t return garage openers and any keys plus the back door had no handles or lock whatsoever, they pulled it), screen door net replacement, glass top patio table replacement - they sprayed it with white paint, all interior doors replaced - they are severely scratched or drawn on them with permanent markers, curtains they stole, 3 blinds they destroyed, junk removal fee, water and gas reconnection fee and pilot being lit. They shut off gas and water and they were not supposed to do this. That's 11k, the big items being the floors, the doors and the fans.

On top of it there;s last month rent 1160 they didn;t pay and 1500 they owe me for not doing any yard work. My neighbor on the left told me they never did it and it shows. The lease had a provision the rent was reduced with 100 if they maintained the yard. They didn't and they lived there 15 month so this is 1500 right there.

I have no idea what the lawyer is going to say. He told me to itemize things and I did.

Again my remodeling is outside of what I am suing them for OK? I don;t want any of you to believe that oh, I cheat on poor tenants to remodel my bathroom. NO. Prices and items I put on the list are the exact or comparable replacement of what I had before when they rented it from me.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
I just want to let everyone know I saw the before and after pictures. It's as bad as the OP says.

It went from being a beautiful house inside and out to a vandalized vacant crack den.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:13 AM

Thank you Hopes. I'm meeting the realtor today to get advice on remodeling.
One of the reasons I didnt sell the house in 2011 was that the realtor was not from Lebo. This time I picked a lady with 30 years of experience in Lebo.

Another reason was I didn;t update kitchen and bathroom and now I just dont want to go overboard updating them.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:55 PM

Realtor postponed meeting because of death in the family.

Oh, I just remembered; I should add two more entries to the list of damages; two retaining walls. One at least held a rose bush and tulips I personally planted. Now it's all rubble.
I should get estimates from a landscaper.

Things are looking good overall. My contractor tore carpets and underneath the hardwood floors are great, so I might as well sand them, based on what the realtor says. Next hes gonna tore the vinyl floors and put ceramic tiles.

He is going to do all the work in my house and has such good ideas and he is a very diligent worker and this is - I was about to say freelance - something he does outside his job, and his price is really decent. So I guess this sort of puts me in holiday mood.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Oh, I just remembered; I should add two more entries to the list of damages; two retaining walls. One at least held a rose bush and tulips I personally planted. Now it's all rubble.
I recall a small portion of what looked like wood fencing that was in disrepair in the "after" pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
...the hardwood floors are great, so I might as well sand them, based on what the realtor says.
No need to ask the realtor this question. She's going to say keep the hardwood and refinish it. Everyone wants hardwood.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:33 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

No need to ask the realtor this question. She's going to say keep the hardwood and refinish it. Everyone wants hardwood.

That's a bit of an exaggeration, wall-to-wall carpeting has a lot of fans as well.

But carpet fans are going to want to put in their own anyhow, so hardwood is the way to go.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:16 AM

Hope, I didn;t notice the fence. Thanks for pointing this out. I'll have a landscaper give me an estimate on this too.
I guess I'll just re-sand then. Personally I have allergies and hardwood floors are so much easier to clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh