Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2013, 06:53 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,514,268 times

Advertisements

OK, my never ending saga: the tenants apparently shut off the water and the gas on the 25! I called the gas company and I found out. Then I went to the house: the damages were incredible! from dog poop on the carpets to damages doors and LOTS of furniture that is basically junk, half eaten sofas and mattresses, piles of clothing, 2 TVs, broken fans, missing garage door openers, missing handle in the back door that was open to scratched walls. I have to replace all interior doors. The ones that are not scratched have drawings on them. I've never seen such filth in my entire life. I was lucky to find someone in the water company who said they'll give me the forwarding address if I send them a copy of the lease and a request for it because they cause such damage.
Question for you landlords: whom do I call to get rid of junk? i-800-junk? I heard they are expensive. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 06:59 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
People on this forum always complain about so-called slumlords only because they've never been a landlord. Sorry for your troubles, but this stuff happens all the time no matter how well you screen tenants.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:23 PM

I will never ever in my entire life be a landlord again. That's a promise to myself. I can't understand how these people lived like this. With 2 small kids. Poop on the wall and carpet? Half eaten sofas? The mattress in the master bedroom had all kimd of stains and was also half eaten. In front of it it was a chest of drawers and an old TV siting on it. Garbage everywhere. Sorry for bragging but I had to tell someone. I am literally shaking only to think about it.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:09 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
I will never ever in my entire life be a landlord again. That's a promise to myself. I can't understand how these people lived like this. With 2 small kids. Poop on the wall and carpet? Half eaten sofas? The mattress in the master bedroom had all kimd of stains and was also half eaten. In front of it it was a chest of drawers and an old TV siting on it. Garbage everywhere. Sorry for bragging but I had to tell someone. I am literally shaking only to think about it.
It happens, I had some tenants that trashed my place, thought they were good people. I ended up taking a loss just to get rid of them. There is a lot of white trash in this world.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:53 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,950,072 times
Quote:
That's just disgusting. How the hell can people live in such filth? I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Just out of curiosity, how did these people come across initially when you first met them? Were there any indications (even subtle ones) that would suggest that they could possibly be total pigs?

Old 11-30-2013, 09:50 PM

Their credit history was clean. They were young, 30 and 31. They saw my ad on cl but I trusted them cuz the guy's mom lives like 2 houses down from me. Literally. The guy grew up on his mom's house while I was living there. They were educated people, good jobs, dressed clean. I had no idea.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:56 PM

I emailed the lawyer abt the situation. We will go to court for sure. Damages will exceed 10k. I'm compiling a spreadsheet and I have lined up people to give me estimates and do repairs but I have to take better pics. I only had my phone with me tonight. They also left a gas grill on the deck and a fire pit.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:09 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,037,014 times
Quote:
If it is at all possible, and you have access to some free/inexpensive help, I would recommend that you rent a dumpster for all of the trash. Depending upon the size needed, you would probably pay anywhere from $300-$500 for a week to fill it. Also, I am not sure if you will need to store their belongings (trash)in contemplation of the final written move-out date, but you sure don't want to give them any grounds to sue you later- just a thought that your attorney might be better able to guide you.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:22 PM

Retiredcoach my lawyer won't answer till monday. I am not clear what is the final written move-out date? Should they give it to me or me to them? They didn't leave the keys on the counter nor the garage door openers. They took my curtains too. The back sliding door - from the kitchen - was wide open; no door knob on it. Wild animals could have entered. This is how they left the house.

They got the letter saying they had to move out with their belongings by the 23rd. I was there on the 23rd in the evening and they were still in. Tonight I found out they moved out on the 25th from the gas and water company. I am not sure but according to the letter they should have taken their belongings. they shut down the gas and water. they dont live there anymore. Theres 2 half eaten couches and broken armachair in the living a battered coffee table and two side tables a TV, a queen size stained and half eaten set of mattresses in the master bedroom clothes scattered all over, bags of trash, a chest of drawers and an old tv on it. In the girl bedroom there was a barbie doll on the floor between 2 piles of dog poop. In the dining there's a table, 2 chairs and a sort of small china cabinet. They clearly don't live there anymore. It was freezing cold.

Also thank God for youtube. I just learned how to reset the garage opener. I have to buy 2 remotes for it tomorrow. Hope Rolliers has universal ones.

Last edited by XRiteMA98; 11-30-2013 at 10:47 PM..

Old 11-30-2013, 11:49 PM

I found my tenants FB pages on Pipl. The woman's profile is private. The man's profile is not. And guess what? On Nov 25 he posts a pic of the extra dog saying that he lived with them all his life (aka their original dog and 3 cats) and basically is looking for someone to adopt him.
They had 2 dogs and 3 cats all along!!!! Sent the link to lawyer!

Then on Nov 6 he asks his friends if anybody knows of a cheap 2 bd appt to rent in lebo that allows dogs. Obviously he found it. I so wish I could call his current landlord and tell him all this, but then that would be harassment, wouldn;t it?

I was itching to put a pics of the half eaten mattresses with pea stain on his timeline for his friends to see but I know better.

Yeah, and I thought I hated FB Seriously there should be questions on the lease: link to FB accnt. References from previous landlords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh