Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 12:36 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,965 times

Advertisements

OK, thanks for all your support and advice. I have retained a laywer who specializes on this type of things. His flat rate is 1k. He said he's gonna kick them out first. I told him they gave me notice of leaving end of nov, he said yes, you wish. The lawyer hims;ef told me he has 8 units rented.
He told me my lease dowloaded from internet is crap. In legalese if they win in court for damages they can sue me (?!)
Hope fpr the best. This guy just annoyed me to no end. I am a fair person. I never benn late in rent or mortgage and I do take it personally when people say they wuld pay on this date only to go there and see that they save the money for the down payment on another house.
So my lawyer will post a 10 days notice on the premises tomorrow and if they dont pay we'll get a court hearing. If they pay I'm ending theor lease Dec 31 snce this is a month to month.
Then we are going to sue for damages. I have pictures of before and after. Now the lawyer is asking me for a copy of the deed. I turned the house upside down. I have a gazzilion papers but not the deed. Anyone knows where I can get a copy?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 07:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
It's not a good idea to rent to friends or family. The pain will be even greater when they disappoint you.

Spam is saying you had a better chance of them leaving by the end of November. Your sending the emails, it will more likely be the end of December like your lawyer said.

And you did put it on the internet in this thread. It will be easy for them to identify themselves if they stumble across it. Not just by the condition of the house but by their landlord being their mother's neighbor.

You opened yourself up to other liabilities by sending those emails. Since the mother lives down the street, it's possible a landlord who received your email knows the family.

I know you're angry but vindictive retaliation could put you in a deeper hole.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:24 PM

Hopes, as always I apreciate your point of view. I will never ever ask a penny form any friend or family who will live in my homes ever. And I'm cosidering buying a vacation home in Crete (Greece) this summer. The market is don, so why not jump on it?

I will ask *** to remove my post #42. Somebody else told me privately to remove that.

Thank you so much. It's just that I have an issue with people who take you for a fool and can't kep their words. And you know what? It's not my children. If the parents behave like this, what do I care?
Thanks again everyone. You've been very helpful and supportive as usual

Old 11-11-2013, 08:37 PM

I_like_spam, I agree with my lawyer. My tenants are not going to move out by nov 30 when on Nov 11 they dont have an address. Not with 2 large dogs in the municipality of Mt Lebo. The guy just said that to gain time and to make me forget about rent thinking they are going to move out anyway. I hate to be taken for a fool because I'm a woman! And have that guy tell me in my face he can;t pay rent cuz he needs to pay security deposit on another place.

Well now they are going to move out. I don;t care when. And I want that eviction on their record.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:05 PM

I hope it goes better than anticipated. Keep us posted.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:27 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,969 times
I just don't understand why tenant's do things like this? The WORST thing we ever did was break a closet door (those flimsy thin ones) and that was an accident and we told the landlord and we paid for it to be fixed. Probably the second worse thing we did is not leave a place sparkling clean because I was told they were going to charge me to clean no matter what so I didn't scrub...

I mean tearing up carpets, brand new floors, etc? What is the point of doing that? If something is wrong why not just tell you right away? Even if the place is untidy, and being a LL myself for my mother's properties for years, a little mess won't bother me, nobody has a clean house 100% of the time!

Old 11-12-2013, 09:38 AM

Beera, beats me. I guess the guy has some anger issues or something.

He'll get angry for no reason and scream at me in emails (that's what the caption is right?) that I don;t care and don;t understand the situation he is in, when I put notices of 10 day pay or move out in the past or I asked them to pay, explained to them that I run a business and no landlord in the world would accept a tenenat who didn;t pay two months in a row.

I was more than lenient to them. They have failed to pay 3 times, were late and their checks bounced. I worked with them accepting their payment dates and postponement until they became current by the end of august, then I accepted against my better judgement to renew their lease only and only because the wife begged me for the sake of her children to be able to go to school. She promised in writing never to be late again and saying that she'll take two jobs if necessary just to keep the kids in school. And here we are now.

I guess they didn;t call me because I would have come to the house and they had the extra dog they aquired without my permission.

Today my lawyer will put a 10 days notice on the premises. From now on they'll have to interact with him. Anyway, as i said, the lawyer advised me that in the future, if I want to have rental units in PA, he'll give me a PA lease agreement as a model. He pointed out things that the lease I downloaded from internet didn;t have, like non smoking, fire hazard, something about a waiver and an ambigous senetence in legalese that in translation meant that if we go to court and they win they can sue me for their damages. So, we'll see. Fisrt thing first, I have to evict them. So the deadline for them to respond in Nov 22, right? or it should 10 business days? I hope not

Old 11-13-2013, 09:18 PM

Ok, I promised you update. My attorney sent me a notice of eviction which I posted on the garage door tonight. There was a van in the driveway and the wife was carying boxes. I think they have a forwarding address which they didn;t tell me.
ANyway I have questions. I ask you and I also asked my lawyer, so please treat them as being rhetorical questions: if they dont; give me an address - which I think it is their intention - how can I sue them? Should I hire a detective to find out where they moved?
Should I notify the school that as of today their lease is permanently terminated - per my lawyer?
Please advice. Then I'll tell you what the lawyer said.
I have to confess: I am very troubled to be dealing with people like these. They have no respect for nothing. And I feel bad when in fact they should feel bad. Therefore I'm not going to do the land lording business ever again. In translation, when I was 20 I thought that all people were fairly good, if you looked deep in their soul. At my age I think most people are bad anf just out there for cheating and taking advantage of you.
Just my 2cents.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
I ask you and I also asked my lawyer, so please treat them as being rhetorical questions: if they dont; give me an address - which I think it is their intention - how can I sue them? Should I hire a detective to find out where they moved?
Should I notify the school that as of today their lease is permanently terminated - per my lawyer?
Please advice. Then I'll tell you what the lawyer said.
Oh, fun! A quiz! I'll take some uneducated guesses!

1) When you shared the email he sent saying to no longer contact them, I suspected they were moving without giving you a forwarding address. If you can't find them on your own, you will need to hire a private investigator. It shouldn't be hard to find them though. You know where he works. You could have someone follow him home someday. Don't do it yourself though because you won't be able to contain your anger to remain undetected, and they could go after you for harassment.

2) I wouldn't notify the school district. That's similar liability as sending emails to all prospective landlords. Since the school district is important to them, they probably found a place in Mt. Lebo anyway.

So, what did your lawyer say?

Old 11-14-2013, 07:14 AM

994 posts, read 901,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Why do you feel the need to do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh