Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 07:50 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,037,335 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I would add the extra cost to secure a private investigator without first trying to find these tenants myself through the internet. It amazes me what you can find through the various "people searching and investigating" sites (I've used Intellius to track down one of my former deadbeat tenants). If the tenants register anything in their own names at their new address (a car, a utility bill, etc.), these companies can track them down.

As you are moving through the process of evicting and suing these tenants, please be aware, that you personally will be advancing a great deal of money to collect your damages. This is money that you may never be able to collect. You may be awarded this settlement, but this does not mean that these deadbeats will ever be held fiscally responsible. There are so many ways to evade/ greatly delay they're paying the judgment (bankruptcy, relocating out of state), and forcing you to front even more money. Hopefully, all will work out for you, but I would plan a point where I resign myself to the fact that you might be continually spending much more money than you will ever receive back. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 08:02 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
Why do you feel the need to do that?
She is feeling vindictive retaliation and wants to inflict pain so they suffer consequences. Not a wise idea.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:33 AM

12,527 posts, read 17,556,285 times
As a landlord, I would suck it up, take the 6K loss, and move on.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:45 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,514,553 times
MountainDewGuy, it is illegal for people who moved out of the school district to continue to send their kids to that school. They have to move the kids to the school where their new home is. I pay school taxes in Lebo - quite a hefty sum - and I don;t want people to just take advantage of me like that. So, somehow I feel the school should be notified somehow, by someone. Hopes, exactly, I feel vindictive buy I don;t want to act foolishly. That's why I'm asking here. You guys are my sanity check.

Retiredcoach, I know what you mean. I might not be able to recoup the money but I want the debt and the fact that they damaged a house and left without paying to be on their records. At some point they will need credit for something and I want them to suffer the legal consequences of their actions, even if I don;t recoup the money. And if they declare bankrupcy because they can't pay their debt is fine too.

I'm fine with that. Copanaut, of course I'll suck up the loss but I want them to bear the consequences of their actions, even if I can't get my money back. I'll keep you guys posted and thank you everyone for your advice.

I'll let you know when my lawyer answers my questions.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:54 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,266,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
MountainDewGuy, it is illegal for people who moved out of the school district to continue to send their kids to that school. They have to move the kids to the school where their new home is. .

Yes, but they didn't move yet, even though they have an eviction notice.

Once they have an address out of the district, you would have something to tell the schools if you want to. People get evicted, or "midnite move" to abscond on their rent all of the time, but their offspring aren't kicked out of school instanteously.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
MountainDewGuy, it is illegal for people who moved out of the school district to continue to send their kids to that school. They have to move the kids to the school where their new home is. I pay school taxes in Lebo - quite a hefty sum - and I don;t want people to just take advantage of me like that. So, somehow I feel the school should be notified somehow, by someone. Hopes, exactly, I feel vindictive buy I don;t want to act foolishly. That's why I'm asking here. You guys are my sanity check.

Retiredcoach, I know what you mean. I might not be able to recoup the money but I want the debt and the fact that they damaged a house and left without paying to be on their records. At some point they will need credit for something and I want them to suffer the legal consequences of their actions, even if I don;t recoup the money. And if they declare bankrupcy because they can't pay their debt is fine too.

I'm fine with that. Copanaut, of course I'll suck up the loss but I want them to bear the consequences of their actions, even if I can't get my money back. I'll keep you guys posted and thank you everyone for your advice.

I'll let you know when my lawyer answers my questions.
I would do my best to screw up their credit score, but suing them would be a waste of time and money.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:18 AM

994 posts, read 901,740 times
Quote:
MountainDewGuy, it is illegal for people who moved out of the school district to continue to send their kids to that school. They have to move the kids to the school where their new home is. I pay school taxes in Lebo - quite a hefty sum - and I don;t want people to just take advantage of me like that. So, somehow I feel the school should be notified somehow, by someone.
Frankly, I would leave the kids out of it. Treat it as a business transaction and try to recoup your losses if you'd like (you probably aren't going to get anything back) but to extend your retaliation to the kids of this couple is going at least one step too far. It sounds petty. These kids must live with this foolish and incompetent couple, are being evicted from their home, and you are coming in to make sure they must leave the school at the same time? Seems a bit harsh and it is none of your business if they still attend the school or not.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:26 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,514,553 times
Copanut well, for once I can't turn a blind eye on what they did. I will sue them because I want this on their records.
Of course the tenant planned all this thinking they could vanish and I won;t come after them because well, it is a waste of time and money. I am suing them. It is not fair to me and other landlords out there that people get away with such kind of behaviour.

I searched online but do far no addresses other than mine came up. So, I don;t know, if they didn;t renedt a place yet; maybe they were just depositing stuff somewhere, like a storage unit. According to the eviction note their lease IS terminated and they should be out of the house entirely on sat 23 at 5pm.

I'll search for them on Intellius at that time.

Also, if the lease is terminated and they won;t live in the house staring with Nov 25th, their kids shouldn;t go to that school either. So, somehow the school should get notification because who knows, maybe they move to carnegie or bethel. Close enough for them to be driving the kids to the old school and pretend that nothing happened. That would be illegal IMO.

MountainDewGuy, it seems a bit harsh to me too, but on the other hand I pay taxes there and somehow it doesn't seem right. SO that's why I didn;t do it and I was just asking you guys here what your opinion was.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:26 AM

598 posts, read 748,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
it is none of your business if they still attend the school or not.
Umm... I thought that a part of that school district's revenue comes from her property taxes.

In my books, everything that has anything to do with my taxes is very much my business. OPs situation may be different, though.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Copanut well, for once I can't turn a blind eye on what they did. I will sue them because I want this on their records.
Of course the tenant planned all this thinking they could vanish and I won;t come after them because well, it is a waste of time and money. I am suing them. It is not fair to me and other landlords out there that people get away with such kind of behaviour.

OK, do what you want. But it will drive you crazy. I had a tenant who pulled the same crap years ago, finally just let it go. Some people are just jerks.

Hey, where are all the people on this board that call all landlords slumlords?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh