Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 08:12 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times

Advertisements

Well there's a big difference if light rail is above or below ground of course.

The Cleveland BRT looks good and if significantly less expensive that rail, not a bad option.

Pittsburgh deserved to get rail decades ago though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 08:13 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,378 times
I don't understand the obsession with more expensive rail lines. I would really like to use these new transit options sometime before I die.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:18 AM

875 posts, read 1,490,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
I don't understand the obsession with more expensive rail lines. I would really like to use these new transit options sometime before I die.
Agreed. Much like I think it's innane that people strongly suggest building a T line to the airport. What's the demand to justify the cost? If Pittsburgh successfully won that bid for Maglev (what the heck is the status of that technology in the U.S. anymore these days?) it would be a different story when you're talking about a rail line that could whisk you away between Downtown and the Airport or Downtown to Monroeville in like 15 minutes. But the T, plodding along at a max of, what, 40 miles per hour?

Old 11-14-2013, 08:26 AM

994 posts, read 901,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
Wherever you've read that quote, it must be referring to SURFACE rail. That would be next to impossible between Downtown and Oakland (save for maybe Second Avenue corridor up Junction/Panther Hollow). The most recent estimate I heard for just a simple cut-and-cover subway rail line (2.5 to 3 miles) between Downtown and Oakland would cost anywhere from $1.2 to $1.5 BILLION. That's the reason it's not being considered in the near-term.
Forgive my ignorance, but why is surface rail next to impossible but rapid bus transit is not?

Old 11-14-2013, 08:27 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
it would be a different story when you're talking about a rail line that could whisk you away between Downtown and the Airport or Downtown to Monroeville in like 15 minutes. But the T, plodding along at a max of, what, 40 miles per hour?

The drive between the Hilton and the airport is just 17 minutes now with clear traffic, I can't see spending hundreds of millions for 2 minutes difference.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:30 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Though this is true, to really be considered BRT by modern standards at least, the busways need digital schedules (real-time or otherwise) and some sort of off-board payment method to allow rapid boarding.
Plus same level platform boarding with wide doors and articulated buses.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:32 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The drive between the Hilton and the airport is just 17 minutes now with clear traffic, I can't see spending hundreds of millions for 2 minutes difference.
All the Port Authority really needs to do is eliminate the stop at Robinson on the 28X and go straight to the airport from the west busway. Combine that with new branding for that route (special paint scheme and maybe a better name), plus special accordion buses that have luggage racks built in. That would pretty much take care of airport transit issues. No need for a rail line. They could do that *RIGHT NOW* for barely any money.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:33 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,146,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
(a) Yes, maybe, when there is clear traffic.
(b) This is contingent upon you (1) having a car; and (2) wanting to park it at the airport for several days; and (3) wanting to pay for parking.

As I recall, you were also the person saying that you don't understand taking the bus to the airport -- but the 28X is basically always packed, so I think you would be surprised at the demand.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:36 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
All the Port Authority really needs to do is eliminate the stop at Robinson on the 28X and go straight to the airport from the west busway. Combine that with new branding for that route (special paint scheme and maybe a better name), plus special accordion buses that have luggage racks built in. That would pretty much take care of airport transit issues. No need for a rail line. They could do that *RIGHT NOW* for barely any money.
I take the 28X to the airport pretty frequently, and those Robinson stops are heavily used by employees who work at the various retail establishments out there. Without some alternate means to get from downtown to Robinson, they'd kinda be screwed.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:41 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:

During clear traffic, the parkway is undoubtably faster than the West Busway- but that would eliminate stops on the busway for folks boarding to the airport from Sheraden or Crafton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh