Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 06:26 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
when i read the title, i thought "general electric is opening a factory in downtown? really?"
Me too. And here I thought I was starting to blend in after 11 years in pgh..

Old 11-20-2013, 06:36 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times
and when people say giant eagle, first thing to pop up in my head is "there's a giant here in pa?"

giant is a grocery like giant eagle down in the dc area lol

Old 11-20-2013, 07:17 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Sorry, but GE = General Electric. Just call it what it is. The Dirty Bird. Overpriced products, underpaid employees and hardly any organics unless you don't mind playing triple. Anyway, anyone in the real world sees GE they certainly don't think of Giant Eagle. If they do, they are really living in a closed world. Goodness!

Now as far as them going to the city. I guess that is good. Better than no grocery store. Wish they would be bought out by Wegmans.
Agreed. The prices at the Iggle suck, the produce is sub-standard, the layouts are confusing, the floors are always dirty, the muzak plays too many ads, the lines are always longer than they should be, and the employees look like they'd rather be shoveling pig **** on a Cambodian work farm than wasting away in that soul crushing supermarket of failure.

The Iggle should be killed with extreme prejudice. Krogers, Giant, Karns, Wegman's, hell, even Wise, for crying out loud, would be an improvement over that hideous hell-beast.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:20 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,596 times
Quote:
and when people say giant eagle, first thing to pop up in my head is "there's a giant here in pa?"

giant is a grocery like giant eagle down in the dc area lol
Giant's the main grocery store in South Central PA as well, it's headquarters are in Carlisle.

Always threw everyone off that there were Giant Eagles in Pittsburgh that had no relation.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:26 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Sorry, but GE = General Electric. Just call it what it is. The Dirty Bird. Overpriced products, underpaid employees and hardly any organics unless you don't mind playing triple. Anyway, anyone in the real world sees GE they certainly don't think of Giant Eagle. If they do, they are really living in a closed world. Goodness!

Now as far as them going to the city. I guess that is good. Better than no grocery store. Wish they would be bought out by Wegmans.
It seems like I continually here people lament over the fact that Pittsburgh has no Wegmans and wish that they would move here. I am not familiar with this chain other than by name. What makes them so attractive as a grocer? Are they like Trader Joe's? I am curious. What region are they prominent? Why do people wax poetic when they mention them? They must be something special and give an unforgettable shopping experience from what I gather.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:49 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
It seems like I continually here people lament over the fact that Pittsburgh has no Wegmans and wish that they would move here. I am not familiar with this chain other than by name. What makes them so attractive as a grocer? Are they like Trader Joe's? I am curious. What region are they prominent? Why do people wax poetic when they mention them? They must be something special and give an unforgettable shopping experience from what I gather.
Wegman's is like Giant Eagle's "Market District" concept. It's a more upscale supermarket with locations primarily in the Mid-Atlantic. There are 46 stores in New York, 16 in Pennsylvania, seven in Maryland and New Jersey, six in Virginia, and one in Massachusetts.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:54 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times
can anyone tell me who is the best for deals?

for me, safeway and giant were the places in the nova area. i just want the best places to get deals. i just wanna buy some hotdogs, bread, soda and canned food.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:22 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Quote:
can anyone tell me who is the best for deals?

for me, safeway and giant were the places in the nova area. i just want the best places to get deals. i just wanna buy some hotdogs, bread, soda and canned food.
Aldi. There is one at Baum and Roup, right by the Negley Rite Aid. There is another store called Bottom Dollar, I don't think the one on Penn is open yet, but I don't know anything about this chain. Looks like there is one in Homestead.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:46 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times
Quote:
when i read the title, i thought "general electric is opening a factory in downtown? really?"
I thought office space for desk jobs, but, yeah, I thought General Electric too.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:10 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
I thought office space for desk jobs, but, yeah, I thought General Electric too.

As did I.

Nobody calls them GE, it's Jiggle n'at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh