Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 09:42 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,198 times

Advertisements

I pledged. I ran into him last night and he's hopeful and said the first day was about what he expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 09:42 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Sousa's fans seem to follow him anywhere so far.
Don't disagree, but, like I said, how many restaurants can make it without daily walk-up biz?

Old 12-06-2013, 09:50 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Don't disagree, but, like I said, how many restaurants can make it without daily walk-up biz?

This proposed beanery in the 1200 block of Braddock- that would put it adjacent to the community's largest employer, the ET Works.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:51 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
From the article:

"People who get it, get it," he added. "Those who don't, don't."

Ugh. I'm so sick of Pittsburgh turning into this city where a growing number of people are becoming smug self-righteous radical hipster elitists who put down others who are "beneath" them for not being "progressive" enough to enjoy drinking tofu birch beer while riding a Schwinn and listening to NPR. How is crowdsourcing a "progressive" concept? Sounds to me like Sousa wasn't able to secure private financing and is now begging the public to finance his restaurant for him via an overly-dramatic "all or nothing" scheme. I truly do hope he does well, and I wish him nothing but the best---for Braddock's sake. With that being said, though, the East End just since I moved here three years ago is becoming home to more and more of these "enlightened" types who enjoy nothing more than bragging about how "ahead of the curve" they are as they talk about the plight of third-world countries while driving around in their BMWs. This quote really struck a nerve with me because it sounds so arrogant and out-of-touch.

It seems like if you concoct a paragraph that includes buzz words like "free-range"; "food truck"; "organic"; "locally-sourced"; "bike lane", "ahead of the curve"; "people who get it"; and "progressive" then you're a true Pittsburgher these days. I'm not pining for the yinzers to overtake the city with their beer-swigging, belching, foul-mouths, parking chairs, Steelers pajama pants in public, etc. ambiance; however, why do we have to go from one extreme (urban redneck) to the other (a more "enlightened" version of Portlandia?) What about regular middle-class types who don't fit either mold? Can someone enjoy eating at one of Sousa's restaurants without caring about the backstory of the seed that sprouted the blade of grass that was consumed by the cattle that provided me with my burger?

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
This proposed beanery in the 1200 block of Braddock- that would put it adjacent to the community's largest employer, the ET Works.
Great, I hope it works out.

3,733 posts, read 5,965,362 times
Best of luck to him in getting this off the ground. He goes where others fear to tread, including the banks (who are not really known for innovation or lending to distressed neighborhoods).

Old 12-06-2013, 09:52 AM

733 posts, read 987,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I did read through his kickstarter statement and I really didn't see it. However, I did see a statement that said something like banks haven't historically lent money to Braddock.
Well, at the end of it, he wrote:

"Through Kickstarter, YOU DECIDE, not the banks, and that is exactly how we want it."

I'm taking that to mean that they don't want to open the place in Braddock unless they can get people to pony up the support/money to make it happen. Like, for them it potentially feels less risky if a bunch of people get on board up front than it would to get a bank loan and hope for the best.

I could be making bad inferences, though, haha. It's definitely risky either way.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:57 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Best of luck to him in getting this off the ground. He goes where others fear to tread, including the banks (who are not really known for innovation or lending to distressed neighborhoods).
Actually, PNC, for how much ill-will I harbor towards it due to the low compensation paid to its front-line employees, has a great track record of reinvesting in distressed and/or underprivileged communities and neighborhoods. I'm surprised they weren't willing to loan him money.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:58 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,198 times
This makes sense because it gets people in the door. He probably needs 4,000 people to pledge.

Also - a Schwinn? Wrong century dude.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:59 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Sounds to me like Sousa wasn't able to secure private financing and is now begging the public to finance his restaurant for him via an overly-dramatic "all or nothing" scheme

That doesn't make sense to me- I can't see why regular financing wouldn't be available.

This gentleman has a good track record for restaurants and seems like he should have assets that he could pledge to the bank as collateral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh