Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 01:16 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times

Advertisements

Didn't want to go off topic on the other thread, but those sidebars about running groups brought up a question. So I'll start a new thread to ask...

Where do people like to run in Pittsburgh?

Do people like to run up and down the steps? Is it safe? Is it a thing to do?

Do you run in different places depending on the season?

Are there meet-up groups for runners, or do most people prefer running on their own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 01:34 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
As for groups...check out Pittsburgh Sports League and People Who Run Downtown....

PUMP | PSL Running Club New

(FYI...the run information on there is outdated, but the runs still occur weekly, and the contact is the same. There is an email that goes out Tuesday for Thursday runs) They have 3, 4, and 6 mile runs every Thursday. Different part of the city and different restaurant each week for dinner and drinks afterwards. This week was the Downtown Light Run, which took us around looking at all the downtown tree and light displays.

People Who Run Downtown - A Pittsburgh Running Group

Also, I believe there is a Fleet Feet running group that runs on Thursdays also. I cannot remember the one that runs on Sundays...but if I do I will post....

As for running stairs, I have, and it is safe since it is def a daytime running thing, but I am not sure of a group that specifically runs stairs. I have to say the soreness level that comes from running the stairs is something I was not prepared for.

Changing of the season? Weather dependent, I run inside sometimes, but try to get out in a group, makes it much more enjoyable. I have found that if you are running in a more commercial area the sidewalks are fine, but in Brookline where I sometimes run, the ice is hit or miss, but you have to run no matter what so you get used to it.

I have spent a lot of time running at South Park (which has decent trails along with Schenley) and on the trails around South Side and 2nd Ave, but those are pretty flat, so I like to try to find some variety.

mapmyrun.com has a lot of maps on there that others have used, and it gives you an idea of distances and elevation changes.

If interested in running the Pittsburgh Marathon and want to support a good cause, check out Gilda's Club. They have a running group that trains together for the Pgh Marathon each year.

Welcome to Gilda's Club Western Pennsylvania

Old 12-21-2013, 01:38 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
The Schenley Oval is a popular place for runners here in Pittsburgh. Every lap is 5/8 mile, easy to calculate how far you've traveled.

I don't think running up and down city steps is that great of an idea- a lot of the city steps are in less than perfect condition, you could easily hurt yourself if you hit a piece of loose or missing concrete.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:15 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Go to any local football stadium, best place to run steps. My old B-ball coach made us do that all the time.

Sad to say at 61 I only ride my bike, swim, and chase my wife around the house.(hardwood floors)

Seriously, running steps is the best exercise.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:46 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The Schenley Oval is a popular place for runners here in Pittsburgh. Every lap is 5/8 mile, easy to calculate how far you've traveled.

I don't think running up and down city steps is that great of an idea- a lot of the city steps are in less than perfect condition, you could easily hurt yourself if you hit a piece of loose or missing concrete.
step running is fun. Best to only run up an come down a road as running down narrow steep steps is not hard work. There's some killer steps on the South Side I'd love to run - it's like a maze over there - would be good to do with a guide

I mostly run around Schenley Park as we live near there. The trail down behind the oval can be followed to the 'pond' (down some steps) and you can loop back around up steps towards Oakland or around the golf course, or stay in the park and run the trail back up towards Beacon/South Sq Hill Slums. I've run a couple of times through Frick over to Regent Sq - it's excellent in there but I'm still getting my bearings.

The hills and trails around town make for excellent fun running.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:26 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,091,748 times
There's Step Trek: StepTrek | South Side Slopes Neighborhood Association
A list of steps: Pittsburgh Steps
Also, people run the Cathedral of Learning steps, here is a weekly event: Weekly Cathedral of Learning Stairclimb then Lulu's Noodles! - The Pittsburgh Social Club! (Pittsburgh, PA) - Meetup

And I came across this site with a lot of various things to do: ActivePittsburgh.com Events, Activities, Things to Do in Pittsburgh

Old 12-21-2013, 06:58 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Go to any local football stadium, best place to run steps. My old B-ball coach made us do that all the time.

Sad to say at 61 I only ride my bike, swim, and chase my wife around the house.(hardwood floors)

Seriously, running steps is the best exercise.
Were you in the military?

Old 12-21-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
There's Step Trek: StepTrek | South Side Slopes Neighborhood Association
A list of steps: Pittsburgh Steps
Also, people run the Cathedral of Learning steps, here is a weekly event: Weekly Cathedral of Learning Stairclimb then Lulu's Noodles! - The Pittsburgh Social Club! (Pittsburgh, PA) - Meetup

And I came across this site with a lot of various things to do: ActivePittsburgh.com Events, Activities, Things to Do in Pittsburgh
thx - great info.

Although EveKendall has convinced me that Cathedral of Learning running/walking is beyond the bounds of civility.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:44 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
thx - great info.

Although EveKendall has convinced me that Cathedral of Learning running/walking is beyond the bounds of civility.
I've climbed the Cathedral of Learning twice. I'm not particularly in shape and I had to take some rest stops every fourth floor or so, but I didn't think it TOO hard. Walking up without stopping would be a different matter.

I know of at least one person who leads somewhat frequent five-mile hikes up and down the steps on the South Side, organized through the Pittsburgh hiking group on meetup.com.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
I know of at least one person who leads somewhat frequent five-mile hikes up and down the steps on the South Side, organized through the Pittsburgh hiking group on meetup.com.
Been on a few of these. great fun, and you get to see some amazing parts of Pittsburgh.

But I'd love to run them. That'd be wild ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh