Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 05:40 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghuser View Post
The reason the potholes in the city of Pgh suck so bad...The city utilizes a "throw an go" technique which they just take the material and throw it into the hole without even removing any material/debris that may be in the hole...When Rob Kaz, DPW Director, was asked about this technique, which PENNDOT employs, he said he doesn't have the manpower. Pretty lousy excuse.
lets be reasonable - why would the City continue to do lousy work if they knew people were actually noticing? i dont know - maybe they just DONT have the finances and manpower. im not quick to be so skeptical. im defending the DPW Director because it isnt like this is NYC. we dont have a lot of money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 06:38 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
FYI--I just got a flier from Costco and they are having a sale on tires starting today. I think the sale lasts for 2 weeks, and includes a variety of brands for $70 off. I think they mostly have Michelin, if that's what you're seeking. If you buy tires through Costco they also give free tire rotation--all you have to do is bring the car in and show them your receipt.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:04 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,421 times
I have never purchased tires from Costco, but I do know that they include a 5-year road hazard warranty with all their tires.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:31 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
In his defense (something he rarely if ever gets from me), I think most of us have had the unfortunate experience of having no other choice but to (literally) idly sit and watch PennDot work on many, many occasions throughout our lives.
If true, and I haven`t seen much of this behavior in the last two decades, it`s a management problem. There is nothing in the union contract that permits workers to stand around and ignore the boss`s instructions.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:57 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
I have never purchased tires from Costco, but I do know that they include a 5-year road hazard warranty with all their tires.
FWIW I'm probably not going to purchase there again given what happened when I went back with my most recent set. They basically washed their hands of doing anything because of a small amount of uneven wear near the sidewalls. Wouldn't rotate/balance.

They do include the road hazard in their pricing. When they have the $70 off Michelin, it is often the best pricing. But, other places can have $70 off Michelin as well, not just Costco, so it doesn't hurt to check around for others.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Wouldn't rotate/balance.
Wow, sorry to hear that. That would turn me off from doing business with them, too, since they say it's a service they provide for free. FWIW I've always been able to get my tire rotations done, but it doesn't surprise me to hear service is different depending on which Costco you go to.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:14 PM

Wonder how many of those potholes that were just filled will open up again with the freezing rain tonight? It's frustrating, that's for sure.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:12 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Anyone surprised by this?

Pothole complaints up sharply over last year in Pittsburgh | TribLIVE

For the record, since my $700 mishap I just hit ANOTHER water-filled pothole today. Guess what? I'm going to need another alignment!

Old 01-14-2014, 01:24 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
I had a couple nasty hits recently but they weren't in the city. One is in my own borough, one out on I-79 in Franklin Park. I checked this morning for flat tire but all is good so far. Sounded bad though!

I already needed an alignment so no big deal. Plus need inspection anyway. Just need to pick a shop and call, that's the hard part....

Old 01-14-2014, 01:33 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Anyone surprised by this?

Pothole complaints up sharply over last year in Pittsburgh | TribLIVE

For the record, since my $700 mishap I just hit ANOTHER water-filled pothole today. Guess what? I'm going to need another alignment!
Why don't you see if you can file a claim with the city and see if they will pay for the repair? Sucks, these damn potholes. And I don't think the coldpatch holds up well which is what they will probably use to fix them, if they get around to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh