Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 09:53 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl.In.The.Woods View Post
I know the stock tires are usually crap, but those tires aren't bad in that scheme of things. But I only had 3k miles on the car when the tire blew from the pothole, so it made sense to just replace the blown one and the rim. Crazy, but I had the dealer and another shop check it and it didn't knock the alignment out any.

I prefer buying something like Goodyear Assurance 60-80k wear tires.
Yeah, the OEM tires don't get very good reviews:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ed&tab=Reviews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 09:57 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
One advantage driving a German car is they have wider high performance tires.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:02 PM

44 posts, read 41,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
One advantage driving a German car is they have wider high performance tires.
Those Avids are: P205/50R17.

Isn't that a wide tire?

Old 01-15-2014, 10:16 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Those Avids are: P205/50R17.

Isn't that a wide tire?
Not really. It is about 8" wide. Mine are 9 1/4" wide. You do have more protection on the sidewall however. You are riding on 4.04" from ground to rim and I am only running on 3.7", so that is pretty good for your protection. Overall, I think it would be rare to have damage. Take your time out there and just let others pass you. I don't care if I have a line behind me, I am not going too fast on Negley Run and up through there. That is a mess. I will have to keep an eye out for the holes on Washington Blvd. I haven't seen them yet.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:52 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,376 times
I drive 20" wide tires. if one blows that's on the cheap end, 200 per tire. ive learned to try to void dem pgh craters lol

Old 01-16-2014, 07:00 AM

540 posts, read 868,513 times
Quote:
What a joke. The pothole blitz was just on the news. It said to call 311 to report pot holes. So I just called to report the one by the police station on Washington Blvd. 311 is closed. They're only open to take your call from 8-4:30 pm. Ignorance is bliss for them, and we can't prove a thing.
There is also an online form. 311 Response Center*·*311 Submission Form

I reported 2 potholes using this yesterday morning. One was filled by last night, we'll see how long it takes for the other one.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:01 AM

Thumbs down More of a media blitz...

Dear Mayor,

I have to say after driving around on Fifth Avenue, Penn Avenue, Penn Circle and some other roads in that area yesterday, that it was pretty hazardous. Lots of potholes; some of those potholes dangerously large. Even if I wanted to call 311 and report them, I literally couldn't keep up with the count. And it's not my Jay, Oh, Bee!

So, we had our pothole blitz, and the pothole media blitz, but is the problem still being blitzed? I say it's not from what I'm seeing. It's back to business as normal (busted rims, flat tires, can you prove it's our fault and that we knew about it?)

Moving on to brighter news: I got some money back from my Subaru's extended warranty. Turns out the regular extended warranty for my car (the gold plus mechanical one for 100,000 miles) includes tire coverage. I filed a claim against it and got $270 back of my $700+ dollar initial loss.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning, so get busy (again!).

Old 01-30-2014, 02:08 PM

110 posts, read 609,774 times
Quote:
Dear Mayor,

I have to say after driving around on Fifth Avenue, Penn Avenue, Penn Circle and some other roads in that area yesterday, that it was pretty hazardous. Lots of potholes; some of those potholes dangerously large. Even if I wanted to call 311 and report them, I literally couldn't keep up with the count. And it's not my Jay, Oh, Bee!

So, we had our pothole blitz, and the pothole media blitz, but is the problem still being blitzed? I say it's not from what I'm seeing. It's back to business as normal (busted rims, flat tires, can you prove it's our fault and that we knew about it?)

Moving on to brighter news: I got some money back from my Subaru's extended warranty. Turns out the regular extended warranty for my car (the gold plus mechanical one for 100,000 miles) includes tire coverage. I filed a claim against it and got $270 back of my $700+ dollar initial loss.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning, so get busy (again!).

You are welcome to get a job where you will go fill potholes on days like we've had this week weather wise. After working outside this week, I do not support or expect anyone going around and working on the roads in these conditions. Besides, any repairs made this week would have been pointless with the freeze/thaw cycle. The hole would just reappear a few days after it was filled.

Today was the warmest day this week, and I expect the workers will be back out this weekend.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram8876 View Post
You are welcome to get a job where you will go fill potholes on days like we've had this week weather wise. After working outside this week, I do not support or expect anyone going around and working on the roads in these conditions. Besides, any repairs made this week would have been pointless with the freeze/thaw cycle. The hole would just reappear a few days after it was filled.

Today was the warmest day this week, and I expect the workers will be back out this weekend.
I'm retired from the military. I didn't fill potholes as a profession, but neither did I get days off, or get to stop doing my job because the weather was cold - or hot, or rainy, or snowy, or windy, or dangerous.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:08 AM

110 posts, read 609,774 times
Quote:
I'm retired from the military. I didn't fill potholes as a profession, but neither did I get days off, or get to stop doing my job because the weather was cold - or hot, or rainy, or snowy, or windy, or dangerous.

It's not about getting days off due to weather. When the weather is as cold as it was, there's no point to try filling pot holes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh