Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 09:43 AM

458 posts, read 658,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
And yet so few seem to figure it out. Or think that they are a special case and it won't work for them.
Well there are plent of "special cases" in our society today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 08:16 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,093,253 times
Being lazy definitely has its benefits.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:33 PM

15,654 posts, read 26,378,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I blame this on the spread of automatic headlight systems. Many people are now conditioned that they need do nothing in terms of working the headlights. Thus when they find themselves in situations where the car doesn't have the automatic system or the conditions (weather, etc.) are odd and do not trigger the lights to come on, these people have no instinct left that gives them the ability to turn them on manually.
Yep -- people get used to things being done for them. A few years ago, one of the guys on a morning radio show shared a story about this very sort of thing. His car remote died, and he was actually flummoxed at how was he going to get into his car. He stood there for a few minutes and another co worker walked up to him, took his keys from his hand and used the key to unlock his door.

They laughed at him, and started taking calls from listeners telling stories about themselves....

And I've done that with the headlights -- my headlights come on all the time, and the dash is illuminated at all times, so sometimes I forget to turn on my headlights... which turn on the rearlights...

Old 01-26-2014, 05:11 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,744,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
And I've done that with the headlights -- my headlights come on all the time, and the dash is illuminated at all times, so sometimes I forget to turn on my headlights... which turn on the rearlights...
Rearlights. LOL They're called taillights.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:17 PM

15,654 posts, read 26,378,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Rearlights. LOL They're called taillights.
I'm laughing so hard right now -- I swear I couldn't come up with tail lights for days! It's just not a word I ever use, so I lost it!

Aging. It's a riot, folks.

Thank you Greg!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh