Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 09:19 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
That's certainly your opinion, and you're entitled to it.

But a lot of folks prefer working in the suburbs, or in outlying city neighborhoods, to avoid some of the traffic hassles, and having their cars right there, and avoiding a lot of panhandlers bumming around in the central business district.
Yes, that was just my opinion. I know other people share my opinion and others disagree with it. That's fine. Just stating what I thought.

I work in big corporate IT and you pretty much have to be Downtown for that.

Everyone in my family never worked Downtown so they think I am crazy for liking it. But a few people I know who used to work Downtown (laid off or retired) said they enjoyed it. There is other people who like the 15 minute drive to work and park in front of their building for free and drive somewhere to lunch .That's cool too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 09:22 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
I worked downtown for years and didn't mind it at all. I worked on Grant Street and the parking garage was only a few blocks away, right where the Salvation Army place was (maybe long gone, that was in the 60's.)

I was really proud to see what Pittsburgh has done to make it even a nicer city than it was years ago.

Don

Old 04-18-2014, 09:39 AM

75 posts, read 101,845 times
I noticed yesterday that this crumbling yellow/peach building is being torn down. Is there any development slated for this parcel? It's between 3rd & 4th Avenues right by Crosstown Blvd.

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Old 04-18-2014, 09:49 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Next time I'm downtown I'll do a survey at the client site of who likes that location. Honestly with the way people complain I'd say 75% don't like working downtown at that particular company.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:00 PM

93 posts, read 91,526 times
I work for a big company downtown, and quite like it. That said, I would estimate that 75% of my coworkers do not like it, and would prefer to avoid downtown and work in whatever suburb they live in. I would also guess that of the 25% that do like it, many are in the south hills with easy 'T' access.

The problem is, of course, where do you move? As much as people dislike downtown, it sure beats commuting to some other suburb which is not your own. If you assume that 1/4 of the employees each live north, south, east and west, moving will completely hose 3/4 of them. For example, if my company were to consider moving to, say, Monroeville, everyone north, south and west would all of as sudden really, really start liking the commute downtown. A central location has its advantages....

Old 05-01-2014, 09:12 AM

338 posts, read 447,069 times
Anyone have any insight onto what floor the PNC building is up to now? Also has steel started going up for the gardens yet?
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:21 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty5011 View Post
Anyone have any insight onto what floor the PNC building is up to now? Also has steel started going up for the gardens yet?
Thanks in advance.
It says here the steel is 76% done so (.76*33)= Approximately floor 25 or 26?

The Tower at PNC Plaza

Can't find much on Gardens, except it will be complete Fall 2015.

The Gardens of Market Square Downtown

Old 05-01-2014, 01:52 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times
Quote:
Thanks in advance.
Not sure but ive been noticing the building from different city angles lately. The view from the 16Th street bridge is my new fav. The glass curtain wall is impressive and reaches 10 stories now.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:56 PM

706 posts, read 1,049,108 times
Quote:
Thanks in advance.
I posted a live webcam from Ox Blue earlier in this thread of The Gardens so you(pl) can track progress. As for PNC, it looks to be on floor 30 of 33 in their webcam. Don't forget there also will be an angled roof that looks to be about six stories on it's northern face. So there still is a bit more height to go.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:47 AM

53 posts, read 62,193 times
From a market square viewing, while its great to see new construction and rather creative architecture at that in the end, PNC certainly is going to be modest height wise if we are nearing it's top off point. Interesting architectural strategy by PNC staying below 40 or 50 floors given the height of most large banking HQ's buildings around the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh