Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2014, 09:27 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Two airports that lost their Cleveland link when United dehubbed CLE earlier this year will now get commuter service to Pittsburgh. Long-dormant links with Altoona and Jamestown, NY will be restored.

Some commuter service returning to Pittsburgh International Airport - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Initially I though this was a plus, then I looked up Sun Air. They have a fleet of Piper Navajo's, which holds a whopping 9 passengers. This will add virtually nothing to the airport. It is more a positive to new connections than it is for PIT.

I'm curious as to where they'll board/depart. They demolished terminal E years ago. I guess they'll just use one of the Jet ways with a set of steps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 10:31 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Initially I though this was a plus, then I looked up Sun Air. They have a fleet of Piper Navajo's, which holds a whopping 9 passengers. This will add virtually nothing to the airport. It is more a positive to new connections than it is for PIT.

I'm curious as to where they'll board/depart. They demolished terminal E years ago. I guess they'll just use one of the Jet ways with a set of steps.
Quote:
The new flights were made possible by the federally subsidized Essential Air Service program, which assists in providing flights to underserved cities.
when they tried to downsize the EAS program a few years back, local pols like Casey fought back. the argument was essentially that lancaster was close enough to baltimore and Philadelphia (not to mention middletown)that it shouldn't qualify for EAS. the rules were never changed so airline after airline keeps trying to make it go. the per passenger subsidy is over $100 per passenger. Indeed, it would be more interesting if, say, frontier launched service to trenton

Old 09-16-2014, 09:18 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,979 times
Lancaster-Pittsburgh flights might resume after 7-year absence - LancasterOnline: Business

Quote:
Service between Lancaster and Pittsburgh would be a major convenience for travelers, Eberly said.
The flight would be about 80 minutes, far faster than traveling to or from Pittsburgh by car or train, or going to Philadelphia and flying out of there.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:47 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,979 times
Delta ending nonstop Memphis-to-Pittsburgh service - Pittsburgh Business Times

Old 11-21-2014, 01:11 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
As Delta closes its Memphis hub, more and more cities are dropping from that city. Also being dropped from Memphis are New Orleans, Dallas, and Washington National.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:17 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
that lancaster service doesn't make any sense. they keep trying to make a go of MDT which isn't very far, why keep lnc on life support?

Old 01-07-2015, 09:25 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,378 times
Good news. The PIT > Paris flight will increase to daily service this year!

Delta to offer daily nonstop service to Paris in June | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 01-07-2015, 09:26 AM

618 posts, read 692,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Good news. The PIT > Paris flight will increase to daily service this year!

Delta to offer daily nonstop service to Paris in June | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
This is great news. I've heard only good things about the flight. Anyone have any experience regarding the fares vs. flying from other cities?

Old 01-07-2015, 09:45 AM

697 posts, read 778,385 times
We parked at the airport over the Christmas holiday. I noticed that the parking shuttle buses no longer have a "No Tipping" sign in the front. Asked the driver who was helping with our bags about the change (we always tipped when they helped with our bags anyway). He said something along the lines of... "it's about 10 years too late but yes, the sign is gone. We were the only major airport with that rule. I heard that a congressman was on a bus and was in an uproar about the no tipping rule and it was gone soon after that."

Old 01-07-2015, 09:49 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
This is great news. I've heard only good things about the flight. Anyone have any experience regarding the fares vs. flying from other cities?
In the few times I've compared prices, PIT > CDG was always slightly more expensive than connecting elsewhere. I'd use the flight at least once a year if Delta had connecting service to Berlin from Paris. But they don't, so I have to use United through Newark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh