Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 09:53 AM

706 posts, read 1,049,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
I recently encountered (what I supposed to be) gunfire while in McKeesport recently. I was on Lysle Blvd when I heard a loud POP across the street. It looked like it was fired by a cop who was investigating a truck in a parking lot with another cop. It didn't look like it was fired AT anyone, but it was disconcerting just the same. I heard a second pop soon after, but didn't see the firing take place. The sound of gunfire is not familiar to me, so I can't say conclusively what the loud pops actually were, but I did see what I thought was a glint in the hand of one of the cops.

That's a better experience than seeing a man on a street corner firing AT a car.
I expected to see something on the news last night, considering it was in broad daylight on a prominent intersection. I guess someone has to be hit. There was nothing on KDKA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 09:56 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
I expected to see something on the news last night, considering it was in broad daylight on a prominent intersection. I guess someone has to be hit. There was nothing on KDKA.
I'm sure there are many events like that that are never reported on. I'm guessing it wouldn't show in the news unless there was an actual death, and even then, not necessarily prominently. Did you see or hear anything get hit, a car stop or careen into anything?

Old 02-18-2014, 10:05 AM

110 posts, read 609,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
I'm sure there are many events like that that are never reported on. I'm guessing it wouldn't show in the news unless there was an actual death, and even then, not necessarily prominently. Did you see or hear anything get hit, a car stop or careen into anything?

If you listen to the police scanner on a regular basis, you'll realize there are shots fired events that happen more often than one would think. It'll only get reported on the news if someone dies, is seriously injured, or a police officer is involved.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:17 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
2 summers ago someone fired a gun right outside my window in the AM hours. Woke myself and my wife up right from our sleep. There was no screaming, sound of people running, or even sirens. Might have been a negligent discharge. We went back to bed.

There's a zillion things that go on in cities at any given moment that are never reported on.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:40 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
Not saying you are.

which houses are you talking about? There's a lot of great architecture all over this city. Some of it was neglected for too long and hopefully most of it can avoid a bulldozer future.
@Selltheburgh...I was referring to Steel City.....lol im not thin skinned.

Im not sure of the street. Its North of Stanton between Highland and Negley if that helps. There are maybe 4 to 6 identcal non connected rows. They were recently repointed and the bricks have been cleaned. Im assuming the homes were once painted brick? The first house in the row is painted an off white color and is still occupied.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:42 AM

654 posts, read 945,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
Keep it classy ladies and gents. And people wonder why nobody is beating down the door to come to the city of pitt or western pa.

Also pittsburgh is not as safe as we are led to believe. The east liberty area is not safe. I dont care what people are paying to rent or buy out there. It is struggling very hard to clean up.
I'm not particularly fond of any of the East End, so perhaps I'm biased, but I can't believe what people are paying to live in East Liberty.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:45 AM

606 posts, read 944,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Um View Post
I'm not particularly fond of any of the East End, so perhaps I'm biased, but I can't believe what people are paying to live in East Liberty.
It doesn't shock me given that there are a limited number of areas with a really short commute to Oakland. There are folks for whom safety, privacy, etc., are pretty far down the list of things they'll consider when they're looking to move.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:55 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
U.S. African American culture is particularly violent, isn't it. Surely they haven't been learning all of that as children at the knee of Caucasians and Asians and Native Americans and whatnot, have they. Exactly who is promoting and glorifying the violent lifestyle? Now THERE'S your sad situation, wpipkins2. The USA granted equal rights and equal education. What have they accomplished with that, I ask. Almost 50 years and still shooting up the neighborhoods! What a shame, and an embarrassment.
Your ignorance really shows and its a shame, sad actually. In the last 50 years the educational attainment by black people has grown by leaps and bounds. You can find black people on just about every college campus. The black middle class grew in that time as well. Rural white people and inner city black people do not recieve equal education.

I am not on here to argue or combat white anger. I will give my perspective. If you cant handle it, Im sorry. Is US Black American limited to "Gangster Rap"? Do you really think that way. If so, you really need enlightment and Jesus.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:03 AM

654 posts, read 945,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
It doesn't shock me given that there are a limited number of areas with a really short commute to Oakland. There are folks for whom safety, privacy, etc., are pretty far down the list of things they'll consider when they're looking to move.
True. But goodness, for what they're paying in East Liberty, they could go to Ben Avon or even Sewickley village and never, ever hear a gun shot--or to Brighton Heights or Observatory Hill and spend 1/2 the price on an old grand home, while living in a pretty safe environment.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:34 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
And people wonder why nobody is beating down the door to come to the city of pitt or western pa.
Do you have any idea of how much rent rates have increased in Pittsburgh? Do you understand supply and demand? I would say Pittsburgh is on the move up and people are moving into the city. It is getting better and will progress. Slower than I want, but still in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh