Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:02 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,164,250 times

Advertisements

I do not understand the point of this story at all. I am all for increased diversity. But are they saying that we cannot have creativity without more foreigners and LGBT people? That seems insulting to everyone.
And I love that an article about diversity refers to people as 'nonwhite'...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 09:23 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I thought these were biweekly now? Most articles these days like this one shouldn't be taken seriously. They are just to get someone to read so there is advertising revenue. It is all about money, not substance.
But haven't you heard - Scandinavia - horrible region, too many white people; China - no chance for success, too many Asians; South Africa - awful country; too many black people. None of these places have any chance to compete as they lack diversity & plus we all know that all people of the same skin color regardless of origin are all the same & add no worthwhile diversity on their own.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:26 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
But haven't you heard - Scandinavia - horrible region, too many white people; China - no chance for success, too many Asians; South Africa - awful country; too many black people. None of these places have any chance to compete as they lack diversity & plus we all know that all people of the same skin color regardless of origin are all the same & add no worthwhile diversity on their own.
My theory as to why is this: None of those places are the USA. No one complains about those places because they expect those places to be a certain way. America has been a diverse nation and therefore, many expect that.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:39 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My theory as to why is this: None of those places are the USA. No one complains about those places because they expect those places to be a certain way. America has been a diverse nation and therefore, many expect that.
I have no problem with diversity but rather the laziness of what most people whom make a big deal about it define diversity.
I can put 5 white people in a room & 5 black people in another & have immense diversity amongst each of the five people but the lazy diversity complainers would only see diversity if the two groups were placed together. I should also not that they only seem to bring up the matter when the majority is white as if somehow that itself is a negative.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:50 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
????? I've never noticed Pittsburgh having a lack of creativity. Seems to me that a lot of creative ideas have started and/or thrived there. IMO Pittsburgh stimulates creativity, since the relatively low rents tend to attract entrepreneurs/artists/inventors, Pittsburgh has a culture that has always encouraged the arts, and long winters mean people stay inside and turn to their creativity to entertain themselves.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:00 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,138 times
If Pittsburgh wants diversity it must carefully cultivate it concerning an influx of racial minorities as opposed to opening the flood gates that mainly attract racial minorities as well as Caucasian populations that are inter generational welfare recipients. Case in point is Allentown.

For the last twenty years Allentown has suffered due to the economic lead weight that has been created by those that create a negative return for their residence. This is very evident in the Allentown public School system where the majority of children in that district are from families on public assistance.
This has served to increase property taxes at an alarming rate for property owners that still reside within the Allentown School District.

Pittsburgh needs to cultivate racial minorities that are also accepting of other cultures, are willing to teach the importance of education and are tolerant of Caucasian and GLBT communities.
The most accepting racial minorities are those that have a history of education and that teach the value of such to their children IE Asian and Eastern Indian populations.

Pittsburgh is notably insular concerning this however the last thing that your city needs are populations that devalue private property, increase crime due to historically high unemployment in those groups and that cause an ever increasing drain on the tax base.

Move ahead with a solid plan and with caution as opposed to welcoming the huddled masses because those masses will cost your city for the foreseeable future.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:02 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Diversity is Overused-Overplayed and Ill conceived. People use the term "Diversity" like its the new hot in thing that one city much purchase from Neiman Marcus in order to be "Cool".... Can anyone name me 1 city in the United States where the city neighborhoods are as massive of racial/ethnic/lifestyle melting pots as the overall city itself is seen as...answer is "NO" You can't.

The more "Diverse" a city becomes, the more segregated it is as well....Even NYC and SF are very "diverse" but also very Segregated, Manhattan is now over 90% white, Yet NYC is never knocked because of it.

It's actually cities like Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, Boston, Seattle, Portland with High "White" populations, where the minorities are far more integrated with whites than the other way around. Even LGBT, as much as I'm for the LGBT community flourishing, I want it to flourish throughout the city, I want LGBT to feel like they can live or start a business anywhere in the city, not just within some boundaries of a Gentrified Box Neighborhood that happens to be a massive enclave of Gay people. That's Segregating, I Don't want that.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:05 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm gay. I'm planning to start my own business. I will leave PA if same-sex marriage isn't legalized soon.
And go where?

It's great that you're planning to start a business someday. But as great as it is to have future plans, you can't use them, or the threat of "do what I want or I'll move away" to persuade people to change laws. Especially if you're a newcomer who's only been there a few years. Maybe if you've got powerful family connections and plenty of $$$, people might care if some young 20-something is threatening to move away. Otherwise, you'll just hear some variation of "See ya."

If you really want to change things, you have to put down roots and make it clear that you're here to stay. Start that business. Join the Chamber of Commerce. Get active with local charities. Buy that house. Then people are more likely to care if you stay in the town.

"We're here. We're qu**r. Get used to it!" is a position of power. That's the way you get laws changed.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:14 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
And go where?

It's great that you're planning to start a business someday. But as great as it is to have future plans, you can't use them, or the threat of "do what I want or I'll move away" to persuade people to change laws. Especially if you're a newcomer who's only been there a few years. Maybe if you've got powerful family connections and plenty of $$$, people might care if some young 20-something is threatening to move away. Otherwise, you'll just hear some variation of "See ya."

If you really want to change things, you have to put down roots and make it clear that you're here to stay. Start that business. Join the Chamber of Commerce. Get active with local charities. Buy that house. Then people are more likely to care if you stay in the town.

"We're here. We're qu**r. Get used to it!" is a position of power. That's the way you get laws changed.
Agreed. Don't flee, SCR. "Be the change".

Old 02-20-2014, 11:28 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Agreed. Don't flee, SCR. "Be the change".
It's better to have one SCR than no SCR in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh