Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I've heard rumors that USC is out of road salt. We've got 2" here and no trucks yet on a key secondary road near my house which is odd. We'll see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
My parents are in Bethel Park and not one plow has visited their street. I hear rumors of salt shortages in Bethel Park too and they are throwing down sand instead.
Fox Chapel ran out of salt a few weeks ago. They probably have their new order by now.

Our roads in Hampton aren't touched. I told hubby I suspected they made a big deal about this storm just to keep people inside for 2" of snow to conserve salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Of course now I'm eating French toast because of all the talk in here. We did buy bread and eggs this morning but I used old bread. Oh, and half and half was on the list too. No TP though, had plenty.
I'm jealous! All of the French toast talk gave me a craving, but I can't make it because my kitchen is torn apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 12:43 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
My lil’ old street in Brookline got salted and plowed by noon today, which is pretty quick by city standards.

Maybe instead of patching the streets they have resorted to just letting them fill up with snow...

Old 03-02-2014, 01:00 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfan11 View Post
another horrible mis calculation by the weather people

they really need to stop scaring people for ratings

just pathetic
If after all the years of wrong predictions and people still watching and believing everything they say, they're going to continue to make a huge deal about their predictions. Its just snow. Its not a hurricane, tornado, etc..., where its a huge deal. Even if it were to snow 12" its not a big deal. Itll get cleaned up in a timely enough manner and it will be a small inconvenience for a short time.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:26 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Route 28 inbound wasn't in bad shape at all until I reached the Northpointe/Freeport area. That's when the tire tracks I had been following in the right-hand lane started to get covered, and the left lane truly wasn't even touched. Then traffic really started to get backed up. I saw a fender-bender off the road in the shoulder, followed by someone with a red pick-up truck putting up flares and closing Route 28. In the distance you couldn't even tell you were looking at a highway as the road wasn't plowed.
The snow band didn't rally reach much farther north than that seems like. I mean, we got all of 2 inches here and it's been stopped for a couple hours already.

So maybe it was in fact untouched, but maybe it was touched and just got covered over really quickly at some point. The thing about snow removal is it's impossible to be everyplace necessary at exactly the right time. Maybe they could have done something differently there, maybe not. When it comes to accidents ultimately DRIVERS need to understand how to adjust to the road conditions.

The road being closed most likely had to do with an impassible and/or fatal accident rather than simply conditions. The amount of snow is just not that much. If there was such an accident, it is not considered to be negligence on the part of PennDOT.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:29 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Fox Chapel ran out of salt a few weeks ago. They probably have their new order by now.

Our roads in Hampton aren't touched. I told hubby I suspected they made a big deal about this storm just to keep people inside for 2" of snow to conserve salt.
I think we're really out. Trucks came by on secondary road once we got to 3", plowed, spread sand, not salt. Came on our street, plow only, no sand.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:44 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
Murray ave is looking pretty crappy. It does not look like there has been even so much as a plow past here at all.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:02 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Absolutely no problem at all getting around in the Great White North. Busky's parking lot is clear.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:05 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Absolutely no problem at all getting around in the Great White North. Busky's parking lot is clear.
Getting to the "no tell motel" should never be an issue no matter what the weather is.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
There is no doubt TV hypes these snowstorm forecasts. If you want objective information, go to Accuweather or Wunderground.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:24 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,743 times
I had a biology teacher in hs who knew a lot of people in the meteorology field, and he told us once that most people hated being hired in Pittsburgh because it's such a difficult area to forecast for anything more than 2-3 days. Apparently, the combination of Great Lakes, the Appalachians and the flatlands west of us tend to change every weather pattern the closer it got to us. I can't believe its any different now.
This was a long time ago, but I still tend to believe most 1-2 day forecasts and watch the changes as the days go past. Any Sunday's forecast is always different by Tuesday.

I was out & about early Saturday, bouncing around North Fayette and Robinson. The tracks of the pretreatments on the roads were clearly visible in the early afternoon, then the plows came thru around 9-10 this morning. Our roads are perfectly clear now.
The thing is, if they weren't clear, I would have definitely understood why. With the salt shortages and the exhaustion of the road crews, we all knew more snow was coming (it doesn't matter how much) and given them a break for a change. They've done a herculean job this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh