Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 02:21 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
In my experience, people do that all the time.
Me too. Foodies are pretty particular about authenticity no matter which cuisine in my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 02:23 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I'd like to hear more about this. When I saw the name was "Crazy Bull"... I immediately suspected it would be horrible...
It was more the service, but a bit if the food too. In a nutshell: wanted some food Saturday night & all of pittsburgh must have come out of hibernation to go out to eat & everywhere had crazy wait times. No line at El Torro Loco so figured we'd try it out.
First words from Maître d looking at us coming in is something along the lines 'god*mmit more f'ing people', then leaves, come back to make some comment that unfortunately she has to serve us. We sit, get asked for drink order, I order a margarita (it was on the menu) and the response was they haven't got their liquor license but would give me one if I really wanted. Some general b*tching about the staff by the waitress & other stuff made us decide to just get an appetizer platter then stay for dinner (would have just left but were starving).
The 'Mexican' appetizer platter consisted of jalapeño poppers & mozzarella sticks which probably came from sams club & what I think was a quesadilla.
There was a lot more weirdness but I won't detail it. Just bad vibe overall. Bad first impressions will kill a restaurant.

And I never got my margarita dammit lol

Old 03-25-2014, 02:30 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Me too. Foodies are pretty particular about authenticity no matter which cuisine in my experience.
When dining with others, I like to insist upon picking a restaurant with authentic food. Then I ask for ranch dressing for dipping.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:32 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
When dining with others, I like to insist upon picking a restaurant with authentic food. Then I ask for ranch dressing for dipping.
Way to go!

Old 03-25-2014, 02:43 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Amp'd bought Villa & are changing it into a steel cactus.
About time something new went in there... that beautiful space has been under-utilized by the confused Villa concept ever since Bruschetta's left.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:48 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Most non-Chinese Americans wouldn't want any part of "authentic" Chinese food. And it's not because of "weird" ingredients, although Chinese do tend to like cartiledge and chewy textures. Rather it's about the wok. The design of the wok means you cut up everything into similarly-sized chunks for quick cooking - without removing the bones. Yes, you may encounter a whole steamed fish or whole chicken at a restaurant or banquet, but in an informal setting more often than not you'll be served small chunks of chicken or fish WITH the bones (because the cultural dogma is "food tastes better with bones"), so you're always picking bones out of your teeth. Somehow, Chinese folks have developed a method of pushing them all off to side while the food is still in their mouth - and many enjoy eating the smaller bones. I've eaten enough staff meals at Chinese restaurants to know I don't have that talent, nor do I want it. I would much rather have the pork stomach than the fish or chicken.

You're unlikely to find spaghetti & meatballs or even lasagne or baked ziti/manicotti at restaurants in Italy. And it's rare to find zucchini flowers, raw artichoke and certainly horsemeat over here. But most everything else is surprisingly close in intent, if not freshness or execution. If you're not talking about horses or organ meats, there just isn't much of an "ick" factor to turn off American diners.

With Mexican restaurants, OTOH, it's less about "authenticity" to me and more about limited options. To me, it seems that 99% of what's offered on menus represents 5% of what Mexicans actually eat, when taken as an entire country and not just a couple of border states (another poster mentioned he's from Chihuahua and is comfortable with the selections, which as a Northern state would make sense). I went an entire year in Mexico City not eating a single meal that was wrapped in a tortilla other than the occasional enchilada. The tacquerias were for 2am when you needed to sop up alcohol. Few people drank margaritas (tequila is mostly consumed straight up, often with a sangrita chaser), micheladas are a big thing (beer & tomato or clamato). Few people put limes in their beer except tourists. Typical table salsa (red or green) isn't chunky (pico de gallo and guacamole are). Once you're about 100 miles inside the border, you're not going to find a burrito (which is actually a SF invention).

There are three phrases I find hilarious:
"I'm from Chicago so I know pizza."
"I'm from Seattle so I know coffee."
"I'm from California so I know Mexican food."

But I do believe in "I'm from Chicago so I know Mexican food." Really, they've got it going on over there.
Food does taste better with the bones. To borrow a phrase from Ed Rendell, American is a nation of culinary wusses. We've become so detached from our food sources with everything being processed and packaged... that so many of us have developed psychological aversion to things like bones.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:52 PM

912 posts, read 1,733,253 times
Is Vicky's still open on Smithfield Street Downtown? I used to work at Station Square and would walk across the bridge to Vicky's for lunch. I drove by last week and it looked completely closed. I hope it's not because that place was great. One of the few places around here that had pollo con mole.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:56 PM

912 posts, read 1,733,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post

But I do believe in "I'm from Chicago so I know Mexican food." Really, they've got it going on over there.
So true. I spent some time in Chicago and the Mexican food is the #1 thing I miss most (well maybe #2 after reliable public transportation at all hours). I used to go to the Maxwell Street Market every Sunday just to eat. Most times I'd be the only gringo there, and all the vendors had some amazing food.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:44 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
I really miss Chi-Chi's.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:52 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I really miss Chi-Chi's.
You could always go to Kuwait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh