Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 05:28 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
It now takes Mega 7 hours and 20 minutes. That's almost as long as Amtrak. Not good when you consider that The Pennsylvanian has many more stops between Philly and Pittsburgh.

In fact I am considering taking Amtrak on my return trip as the fare really isn't that much more than the ones on Mega. The train is also more comfortable.
It really would be great if Frontier launched TTN-PIT service. They do have TTN-CLE service..

US/AA fares vary but they generally are high. On the low side, it can be $188 one-way. In my opinion, over $150 one-way is high.

I've seen under $160 one-way fares on United PHL-IAD-PIT and under $150 Southwest PHL-MDW-PIT and returns.

It'd be also nice if JetBlue offered PHL-BOS-PIT and PIT-BOS-PHL. The frequencies and timings need to be coordinated and increased for optimization however. They do offer PIT-BOS-EWR and EWR-BOS-PIT.

Southwest offers PIT-BWI nonstop, and if you're originating in Pittsburgh, you can fly it and take Amtrak up to Philly. To get best pricing, it requires a 3 week advance purchase for below $100 fares.

Regarding the termination of Pittsburgh to Cleveland service, it sucks. It would be nice if car rentals (for one-ways) were like RedBox. Just return it at another location with no extra charge. Instead it's typically very pricey returning to another location.

Last edited by avg12; 04-21-2014 at 05:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 05:53 PM

802 posts, read 1,321,492 times
The Pennsylvanian should run twice daily. Keep the current one that leaves Philly in the
afternoon (I believe around 12:45) and add one in the morning. With Pittsburgh keep the 7:20 and add another in the afternoon to Philly.

Of course I'm dreaming here. That most likely will never happen because last year the Pennsylvanian was almost eliminated because of budget cuts.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:11 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
The Pennsylvanian should run twice daily. Keep the current one that leaves Philly in the
afternoon (I believe around 12:45) and add one in the morning. With Pittsburgh keep the 7:20 and add another in the afternoon to Philly.

Of course I'm dreaming here. That most likely will never happen because last year the Pennsylvanian was almost eliminated because of budget cuts.
HOME
I agree with you here, probably leave Philly around 730 am and depart Pittsburgh close to 4 pm, maybe 345 pm). ridership out of pittsburgh has been doing nicely and PennDOT isn't as strapped for cash as they were. I still have not heard any plans for west of harrisburg and they received a grant to study HSR options in that segment. anyway, click the link above, there's a survey where you can indicate what PennDOT's priorities should be including, but not limited to, passenger rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Even if they brought back the Three Rivers...NYP-CHI via the Keystone....only making PHL HAR PGH in PA. While the Pennsylvanian still serve as the "Local", only running NYP-PGH.... Three Rivers would attract a ton of Ridership, not just people looking for n PA express but also East Coast to Midwest thru traffic as well. Ahhh a Girl can dream.
once Amtrak receives its new single levels there's no reason it can't restore the broadway. they could split the train in philly where they have yard crews so the train hits NY, Philly, Baltimore, and DC. it would be hard for cumberland md to compete with that set up. the Pennsylvanian was originally a state sponsored train back in the early 80's. it ran in the afternoon out of pittsburgh and in the morning westbound from philly, then from NY

Old 04-21-2014, 06:29 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:

If the market was there for this, it might be worth considering.

Maybe.

Its tough to cut into the earnings of tax-paying businesses like Greyhound, Megabus and US Airways, by giving further subsidies to a money losing enterprise. The government loses 2 ways, maybe. It loses the subsidy money as well as the income tax on the other firms earnings.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:17 PM

im skeptical how much more it would actually cost. if scheduled right the stations are fixed, a third of the right of way is fixed. demand is probably there. they might be able to rework the keystone to minimize equipment needs. youd want to induce demand. they could run a test for less than a consultant would cost. the real problem is the line west of harrisburg was gutted by conrail. it hadnt seen major improvements for decades and is now slower than it was in the thirties. fwiw the 2009 priia study stated ridership would double

Old 04-21-2014, 10:06 PM

Although not as good as Frontier, if Spirit offered LBE-PHL and LBE-ORD that would be very welcome and provide popular low fares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
I know I would have taken a Pittsburgh - Chicago route. I've driven to Cleveland and took the bus to Chicago a few times since I've lived here.
LBE-ORD is more likely given the driving distance is longer, and low fares between Pittsburgh area (via LBE) and Chicago would probably be popular. Ultra low cost carriers Spirit and Frontier typically do not want to fly a route that can be driven in 6 hours. Even though realistically, the Pittsburgh to Philly drive is driving through the Appalachian mountains and isn't a flat, 3 lane each direction type of drive at all, as we know.

But those stupid google maps indicate it's a 5 hour drive, and the route planning teams of these airlines look at that.

Last edited by avg12; 04-21-2014 at 10:26 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You just can't get there from here seems to be the norm.

I'm frustrated because I can't figure out how to take public transportation from Pittsburgh to Vermont. Greyhound to Albany is the best I can find, but it requires a friend driving from Vermont to meet the bus in Albany. Plus, it's only $40 more for a direct flight to Albany. Amtrak to DC to NYC but the next train out of NYC to Vermont isn't until the next day, which means a hotel room is needed overnight in NYC.
How about supporting JetBlue on PIT-BOS and then taking the Cape Air flight from BOS to Rutland, VT. I think jetblue.com will sell PIT-BOS-RUT.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:50 AM

I'd also point out that if the train were faster it would lose less since expenses decrease as revenue increases)

Old 04-22-2014, 07:28 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
Although not as good as Frontier, if Spirit offered LBE-PHL and LBE-ORD that would be very welcome and provide popular low fares.

LBE-ORD is more likely given the driving distance is longer, and low fares between Pittsburgh area (via LBE) and Chicago would probably be popular. Ultra low cost carriers Spirit and Frontier typically do not want to fly a route that can be driven in 6 hours. Even though realistically, the Pittsburgh to Philly drive is driving through the Appalachian mountains and isn't a flat, 3 lane each direction type of drive at all, as we know.

But those stupid google maps indicate it's a 5 hour drive, and the route planning teams of these airlines look at that.
Low-cost carriers and especially ultra-low-cost-carriers like Allegiant, Spirit and what Frontier wants to be typically only fly leisure routes with rare, grandfathered-in exceptions (like Frontier's Denver hub or Spirit's Detroit flights). LBE-ORD or PHL (or Trenton or Wilmington) do not make that cut.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:40 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post

Its tough to cut into the earnings of tax-paying businesses like Greyhound, Megabus and US Airways, by giving further subsidies to a money losing enterprise. The government loses 2 ways, maybe. It loses the subsidy money as well as the income tax on the other firms earnings.
I'm not sure how to compare the subsidies between industries, but the idea that US Air hasn't also been dependent on government aid is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh