Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 08:46 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,826,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's a good idea. He could handle that. That's leaving Pgh at 2 am and arriving in VT at 8:45pm. For $94 more, it's a 3 hr 45 min flight with one transfer in Newark arriving at 11:30 am. What's Newark like for transfers?

I like that idea, but the arrival times don't work for the connecting trains.
have you considered the ethan allen which goes to rutland vt (as opposed to the vermonter)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 09:05 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,802,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
I knew the western routes were doomed when there wasn't a Pittsburgh > Cleveland > Chicago route. I know in theory you could take the bus from here to Cleveland and then another bus from Cleveland to Chicago, but Megabus service can be so unreliable that I'd never trust them for making transfers. I never saw Detroit as an attractive enough final destination to sustain the route.

I know I would have taken a Pittsburgh - Chicago route. I've driven to Cleveland and took the bus to Chicago a few times since I've lived here.
The first route Megabus ran from Pittsburgh was the Cleveland/Chicago route. No one rode it. Cleveland is such an easy drive, most people would rather have their cars. Pittsburgh to Chicago by bus is a very long trip. Most people would rather just fly.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
have you considered the ethan allen which goes to rutland vt (as opposed to the vermonter)?
The Ethan Allen is the one I have been using. It that leaves midafternoon. The Vermonter leaves late morning, which is way too early. Maybe the Vermonter will work with a bus that leaves the evening before.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:27 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,780 times
My sympathies Hopes. I have similar struggles trying to get to Toronto since I don't like flying (the puddle jumper that goes from here to Toronto is a terrifying experience for me). It's ridiculous how inconvenient, if not completely infeasible, the options are.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:29 PM

802 posts, read 1,321,851 times
I still use Megabus to get from Philly to Pittsburgh. I wish they hadn't made the trip longer by adding a stop in State College though. Plus they used to leave here 8:15 or 8:30....and now the earliest bus to Pittsburgh is 7:30 a.m. It also takes a little over 7 hours to arrive at 10th and Penn now.

Even with these changes I like Megabus better for travel to cities like Pittsburgh, Boston, and NYC. I tried Greyhound express last year and while it took less time, a little over 5 hours, every seat on the bus was filled and it was so noisy I had a headache by the time I arrived in Pittsburgh.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:32 PM

Is Megabus's schedule dependable enough to coordinate with other forms of transportation?

There's a Megabus leaving Pittsburgh at 6am and arriving in NYC at 2pm. That might be enough time to catch a taxi over to Penn Station for a train at 3:15pm, but it's a little too close for comfort, right?

ETA: It's only a few minutes away via walking. Can we depend upon Megabus running on schedule? Is an hour and 15 minutes enough time for delays?

Last edited by Hopes; 04-19-2014 at 12:40 PM..

Old 04-19-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
My sympathies Hopes. I have similar struggles trying to get to Toronto since I don't like flying (the puddle jumper that goes from here to Toronto is a terrifying experience for me). It's ridiculous how inconvenient, if not completely infeasible, the options are.
Those little planes are frightening, aren't they?

Old 04-19-2014, 12:38 PM

802 posts, read 1,321,851 times
That is really cutting it close when you factor in the possibility of traffic jams along the way, especially around and in NYC.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
That is really cutting it close when you factor in the possibility of traffic jams along the way, especially around and in NYC.
I thought so. Staying over a night in NYC would be a bonus if my son wasn't on a budget. Maybe he could stay at a hostel. The big problem is he will be traveling with camping gear. He'll have to think about lightening his load and taking the backpacking tent instead of the one he wanted to take.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:47 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Those little planes are frightening, aren't they?
Yep. I'm a nervous flyer in general, but I rely on looking at other passengers and flight attendants to see if they're reacting (and it's pretty much always fine, so I chill out). The last time I flew (returning from Toronto), everyone was unnerved for the last section of the flight, so that didn't do much for my fears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh