Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 07:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Ah, gutless wonders that leave an anonymous rep comment. Gotta luv 'em. If you contact *** they can track it down. I got a really obscene one about 6 years ago, but waited too long to have it tracked. I wasn't angry, just wanted to congratulate the poster for good alliteration.

Stick around, Kat, I already lost Hopes, we need tough broads on this board!
Oh, I'm not going anywhere. I enjoy talking about my hometown!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 07:57 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,051,508 times
Quote:
Ah, who cares what yinz guyz think n'at.

Some people just can't stand to see other people be happy and have to bring them down, or try to anyway.

Keep posting, Kat, I for one enjoy them.

heh, heh, Szug said tit for tat.

I would show my tat to Kat for a peep at....OK, call it a night, szug, that little voice in my head says...

Old 05-28-2015, 05:19 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,470 times
Kat, as a non native who's moved around a lot, I do find the people extolling the virtues of Pittsburgh (and bemoaning the loss of "real Pittsburgh) silly. But at some point, where's the sense in arguing with people about it? If they want to believe a true Pittsburgher is an honest frugal friendly salt of the earth type, and that to know the city is to love it, I just let them. Telling them another city already did what they're bragging about, and did it better, sure that annoys people. I wouldn't negative rep you for it. But it's hard to get much of a positive thread going, between zman saying Cleveland is so much better, bluecarebear saying the old Pittsburgh is better, I Like Spam saying it'll be fine when the yuppies leave and the mills come back, gg blaming it on the media, erieguy starting another fight with the urbanites, and SteelCityRising taking the bait and then complaining that it's not Mayberry. Who needs to add to that malaise? What is the point? If there are still people capable of being optimistic in that environment, why not let them?

Old 05-28-2015, 06:32 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Stick around, Kat, I already lost Hopes, we need tough broads on this board!
I don't want to lose anyone else. We lost Katarina's so-called "guru" (BrianTH), although, thankfully, I still do see him posting from time to time via social media on Post-Gazette and Tribune-Review articles. We lost Hopes. We lost greg42. We're soon losing gortonator. We seem to be losing other "power posters", too, with alarming frequency. Is this the start of the end of the popularity of City-Data?

Like it or not the presence of "power-posters" tends to help inject more interest, more life, and more attention to a forum.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:48 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
and SteelCityRising taking the bait and then complaining that it's not Mayberry.
Sorry. I have always permitted the condition of my external environment to comprise a large portion of my internal happiness. When I first moved here Pittsburgh was that rare place that offered safe walkable neighborhoods cheap enough so that low-earners like me and my partner could live here comfortably and still have enough left over to enjoy our lives. Now just a few years later the city has become progressively more expensive (for renters) while our wages have remained relatively flat, meaning we're spending a greater portion of our income on housing-related expenditures, and the amount of money "left over" has dwindled considerably. I'm just worried about what's going to happen as rents continue to rise in the coming years if our employers don't decide we're worth more money to them and compensate us accordingly over that same timeframe.

I just don't understand why rents here continue to rise if, as the U.S. Census Bureau has just indicated, the city is still on such a steep downward trajectory in terms of population. How can new apartments not be built fast enough to meet demand, causing this spike in median rents, if nobody wants to live here? Is the U.S. Census Bureau flat-out wrong about the city, and, if so, what are we paying them for?

Old 05-28-2015, 06:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I don't want to lose anyone else. We lost Katarina's so-called "guru" (BrianTH), although, thankfully, I still do see him posting from time to time via social media on Post-Gazette and Tribune-Review articles. We lost Hopes. We lost greg42. We're soon losing gortonator. We seem to be losing other "power posters", too, with alarming frequency. Is this the start of the end of the popularity of City-Data?

Like it or not the presence of "power-posters" tends to help inject more interest, more life, and more attention to a forum.
Just one correction, it wasn't BrianTH I was referring to. There was another guru before him. I have to say, I've not seen another forum that elevates some people to such status.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:36 AM

831 posts, read 878,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Sorry. I have always permitted the condition of my external environment to comprise a large portion of my internal happiness. When I first moved here Pittsburgh was that rare place that offered safe walkable neighborhoods cheap enough so that low-earners like me and my partner could live here comfortably and still have enough left over to enjoy our lives. Now just a few years later the city has become progressively more expensive (for renters) while our wages have remained relatively flat, meaning we're spending a greater portion of our income on housing-related expenditures, and the amount of money "left over" has dwindled considerably. I'm just worried about what's going to happen as rents continue to rise in the coming years if our employers don't decide we're worth more money to them and compensate us accordingly over that same timeframe.

I just don't understand why rents here continue to rise if, as the U.S. Census Bureau has just indicated, the city is still on such a steep downward trajectory in terms of population. How can new apartments not be built fast enough to meet demand, causing this spike in median rents, if nobody wants to live here? Is the U.S. Census Bureau flat-out wrong about the city, and, if so, what are we paying them for?
I'd hazard a guess that it's because you're looking in some of the most desirable areas of the city. It's supply and demand.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:18 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Just one correction, it wasn't BrianTH I was referring to. There was another guru before him. I have to say, I've not seen another forum that elevates some people to such status.
here we go again ..... I shall somehow try to measure the guruness of the Seattle forum and report soon

Aqua Teen Carl has gone quiet too. He was fun.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:44 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,470 times
ATC said the cheerleaders complained he was too negative, and sure his assessment of the job market/pay differed from mine. I liked him though, I don't mind being negative ABOUT something, I can admit the city isn't perfect.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:52 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
ATC said the cheerleaders complained he was too negative, and sure his assessment of the job market/pay differed from mine. I liked him though, I don't mind being negative ABOUT something, I can admit the city isn't perfect.
agreed on all fronts. No place is perfect ... even Boulder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh