Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 11:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Heh, thanks. But I also said that I grew up on the South Side before it got bad. I don't have that many street smarts.
Most of the safer neighborhoods that are in your budget will require you to go through East Liberty to get to work. The ones in the other direction are too far to walk. Whether you live in East Liberty or chose one of these other neighborhoods, you have to plan on driving or taking the bus to work since you don't want to walk through East Liberty.

Your plans to walk in the winter just aren't possible with your restriction of not wanting to walk through East Liberty since you literally work in East Liberty and you can't afford the neighborhoods within walking distance in the other direction. Your budget and your comfort level are the two factors preventing you from being able to walk to work. This is just a fact you will have to accept regardless of how you feel about Pittsburgh's winter roads.

Since Pittsburgh's neighborhoods are small, many of the decent neighborhoods are almost right next to ghettos. Keep that in mind when you're driving around and go a few blocks into something scary. For the most part, the crime stays in the ghettos.

I'm going to recommend Bloomfield, Friendship, Morningside, Highland Park, and Regent Square. All three neighborhoods are relatively flat driving to where you will be working in East Liberty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 11:56 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,354 times
Quote:
Got it. You do have to admit that having only one lane and the Pittsburgh Left CAN slow the flow of traffic at least.
Only having one lane is why the Pittsburgh Left exists. Otherwise you have an entire lane of cars that can't do anything until the one in front goes left.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:14 PM

I wasn't aware that people in Chicago knew about the Pittsburgh Left. Is it that famous?

It's curious that you have so many strong opinions about things like our traffic and weather (when you claim you don't live here or know the area), but you know nothing about our neighborhoods. Where are you getting all of this knowledge for the opinions you have about Pittsburgh?

Old 05-01-2014, 12:26 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,378 times
These threads lately seem to escalate into unnecessary feistyness. Go easy on the newcomer, guys. Eddie, I think you'll dig Pittsburgh and we're glad to have you (unless you suck, then we aren't).

Old 05-01-2014, 12:47 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,376 times
im surprised folks didn't chime in that rents expensive nowadays.

I never felt weird walking along negley but at night east lib blvd is.. questionable as ive seen some highly questionable folks wondering the streets( including hookers) but those highly questionable ppl were closer to negley than highland ave tbh (which include Euclid st,etc as someone previously mentioned).

Old 05-01-2014, 12:49 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
These threads lately seem to escalate into unnecessary feistyness.
We just have to make sure they're not from the backwoods of Armstrong County first.

Anyway, East Liberty is a neighborhood in upward transition. It bottomed out back in the 1990's, but there's been a lot of reinvestment in the last 20 years or so, and it's begun to snowball. It helps to know exactly where East Liberty is too, so the real estate listings don't mislead you:

- North of Centre Avenue and Penn Avenue
- South of Stanton Avenue
- East of Aiken Avenue between Stanton Avenue and East Liberty Boulevard
- East of Negley Avenue between East Liberty Boulevard and Centre Avenue
- West of Negley Run Boulevard
- West of East Liberty Boulevard between Negley Run Boulevard and Penn Avenue

(East Liberty Boulevard curves to the south near its eastern end.)

In that area, the prime real estate is in a triangle north of Centre, south of Penn and east of Negley. North of Penn, you should be fine east of Aiken/Negley and west of Highland. The only area of East Liberty I wouldn't recommend is north of Penn and east of Highland.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:54 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Most of the safer neighborhoods that are in your budget will require you to go through East Liberty to get to work. The ones in the other direction are too far to walk. Whether you live in East Liberty or chose one of these other neighborhoods, you have to plan on driving or taking the bus to work since you don't want to walk through East Liberty.

Your plans to walk in the winter just aren't possible with your restriction of not wanting to walk through East Liberty since you literally work in East Liberty and you can't afford the neighborhoods within walking distance in the other direction. Your budget and your comfort level are the two factors preventing you from being able to walk to work. This is just a fact you will have to accept regardless of how you feel about Pittsburgh's winter roads.

Since Pittsburgh's neighborhoods are small, many of the decent neighborhoods are almost right next to ghettos. Keep that in mind when you're driving around and go a few blocks into something scary. For the most part, the crime stays in the ghettos.

I'm going to recommend Bloomfield, Friendship, Morningside, Highland Park, and Regent Square. All three neighborhoods are relatively flat driving to where you will be working in East Liberty.
Not sure where I said I was scared to walk in E. Liberty.

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 05-01-2014 at 01:15 PM..

Old 05-01-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I wasn't aware that people in Chicago knew about the Pittsburgh Left. Is it that famous?

It's curious that you have so many strong opinions about things like our traffic and weather (when you claim you don't live here or know the area), but you know nothing about our neighborhoods. Where are you getting all of this knowledge for the opinions you have about Pittsburgh?
Is this supposed to be really hidden knowledge that only native Pittsburgh residents know?

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 05-01-2014 at 01:17 PM..

Old 05-01-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
These threads lately seem to escalate into unnecessary feistyness. Go easy on the newcomer, guys. Eddie, I think you'll dig Pittsburgh and we're glad to have you (unless you suck, then we aren't).
Thanks!

Old 05-01-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Not sure where I said I was scared to walk in E. Liberty.
The theme of your posts is concern about safety and if you should avoid walking through East Liberty. If you want to particular about the word "scared," we can eliminate that word. It doesn't change the fact that you will need to drive or take public transportation to work in the winter because your budget and "unwillingness" to walk through East Liberty makes it almost impossible for you to walk to work from virtually any decent neighborhood within walking distance that's in your budget.

If you are truly interested in knowing where you can safely live that isn't a ghetto (and you've already decided East Liberty is a ghetto), you should check out the neighborhoods I recommended. That's why you came here, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh