Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 08:57 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,376 times

Advertisements

ill be honest in that I don't often go downtown or even the north shore. I pretty much stick to my east end area since I have enough stuff to do here, but I want to show my friend the city itself and the easiest way to get there.

I was thinking driving by and parking around market place, a place I personally have yet to go and check out fully.

anyways id like some input here and thanks!

ps: going to cranberry or anywhere out there is not going to happen, sorry. he doesn't want to see suburbs nor I want to show something hes coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 09:00 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I'd take him to the Three Rivers Arts Festival at Point State Park, Downtown, and also scope out Market Square, Station Square, and the North Shore Trail. The gay pride parade is going on Sunday and is expected to draw a crowd of 100,000, so that may make Downtown even more hectic than just having the arts festival going on.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:04 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
ill be honest in that I don't often go downtown or even the north shore. I pretty much stick to my east end area since I have enough stuff to do here, but I want to show my friend the city itself and the easiest way to get there.

I was thinking driving by and parking around market place, a place I personally have yet to go and check out fully.

anyways id like some input here and thanks!

ps: going to cranberry or anywhere out there is not going to happen, sorry. he doesn't want to see suburbs nor I want to show something hes coming from.

Downtown is going to be rather hectic this weekend with the arts festival as well as the city's annual gay rights march jamming up traffic in the golden triangle. Unless your friend has particular interest in one or either of those events, it looks like a good weekend to see the views from Mt. Washington or Station Square or explore over on the north side.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:44 PM

I was thinking showing market square and cultural district, but trying to figure out the easiest way there from east lib area.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I was thinking showing market square and cultural district, but trying to figure out the easiest way there from east lib area.
Quickest way from where you live to Downtown, in my humble opinion?

-Stanton Avenue down the hill to the light.

-Right on Chislett.

-Right on Black.

-Follow Black up the hill and past the projects to where it becomes Mossfield Street (passing the cemetery and probably some grazing deer on your right).

-Bear right at stop sign onto North Mathilda Street.

-Right at light onto Penn Avenue.

-First left that you can make onto Pearl Street.

-Right onto Friendship Avenue.

-Left onto Ella Street.

-Right onto Liberty Avenue.

-Immediate left over the Bloomfield Bridge.

-Right at end of bridge onto Bigelow Boulevard, entering Polish Hill.

-Straight through light at Herron Avenue.

-Bear right towards "6th Avenue".

-VOILA! You're Downtown.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Considering how much of a bear traffic and parking may be Downtown this weekend, though, you both may be better off just taking the bus.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Considering how much of a bear traffic and parking may be Downtown this weekend, though, you both may be better off just taking the bus.

lol I don't even know how much fares cost, since I get free rides with my pitt id.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:22 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,259 times
Quote:
lol I don't even know how much fares cost, since I get free rides with my pitt id.
Dude, as SCR says, get the bus. It'll be just as convenient and probably cheaper. Why you would drive is beyond my mind grapes.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:07 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
Quote:
$2.50. $1.00 more for a transfer, good for three hours.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Dude, as SCR says, get the bus. It'll be just as convenient and probably cheaper. Why you would drive is beyond my mind grapes.
because I might want to go somewhere that a car would be more beneficial to get to? you know the PAT isn't as good once you leave the bubble.

anyways, I might take em downtown tonight/evening to show him before the weekend gets all packed. then tour him around southside/Oakland during the weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh