Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 08:37 PM

226 posts, read 614,774 times

Advertisements

I don't want to donate my clothes to Goodwill or any thrift store, cause I don't want them to turn around and sell it. I want to give my clothes to someone who actually needs clothes for free. What place in Pittsburgh and surrounding areas have places where you can donate your clothes and they'll give it someone for free and not sell your clothes? Any suggestions or places you know? Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 09:00 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,392,312 times
» Donate Dress For Success

Old 06-22-2014, 09:04 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
I don't know about here, but I have a relative in another state who does that some volunteer work where they sometimes have to provide clothes to people who need clothes for free. They have arrangements with the thrift stores so they people who needed free clothes go with a voucher or something. Because it turns out that collecting, processing, storing, cleaning, and displaying donated clothes is a bunch of work and expense.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:26 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,392,312 times
The salvation army gives out those vouchers in carnegie. They are for private thrift shops. My office is by there

Old 06-22-2014, 10:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I try to think of someone I know who is my size. When I don't know anyone, I drop them off at a consignment store when it's closed because it's helping a small business instead of a nonprofit scam operation like Planet Aid where only 34% of the money goes towards programs or Goodwill that pays workers less than minimum wage.

Dress for Success definitely gives the clothes away for free, but they only accept clothing women would wear to an interview. They don't accept men's clothing. Here's a list of what they accept: Dress for Success: Support DFS: Donate: Clothing

If you prefer to donate to an organization that sells them but the money goes right back into the local community, St. Vincent DePaul is one to consider.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:59 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I don't know about here, but I have a relative in another state who does that some volunteer work where they sometimes have to provide clothes to people who need clothes for free. They have arrangements with the thrift stores so they people who needed free clothes go with a voucher or something. Because it turns out that collecting, processing, storing, cleaning, and displaying donated clothes is a bunch of work and expense.
The Women's Center and Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh has a voucher program:
Ways to Give - Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh

Old 06-23-2014, 06:44 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,965,362 times
Braddock has a free store run by the town. Just saw something in one of the papers about it. People can donate everything from clothes to household goods and these items are given to those who need them.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:07 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Braddock has a free store run by the town. Just saw something in one of the papers about it. People can donate everything from clothes to household goods and these items are given to those who need them.
Can you link the article that says the store takes donations of used clothing and household items from individuals?

The website says it takes overstock donations from stores---that the store is stocked with all new stuff. Free Store 15104

Old 06-23-2014, 10:30 AM

226 posts, read 614,774 times
Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions! I appreciate it alot! I have beautiful, expensive clothing, and I would love for it to go to someone in need than have Goodwill resell it. So I appreciate it alot, I will check some of these places, thank you!

Old 06-23-2014, 01:13 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The website says it takes overstock donations from stores---that the store is stocked with all new stuff.
I just talked to them. They accept used clothing and housewares.

Free Store 15104
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh