Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 02:14 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,095,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I do agree that the state needs to find better ways to allocate transportation funding but there is still plenty of blame to put at the federal level as well. They don't properly invest in infrastructure across the country that's why other countries in Europe and Asia have surpassed the United States when it comes to transportation. I'm not just talking about mass transit but roads and bridges as well. America has fallen behind badly when it comes to transportation infrastructure. Pittsburgh is lucky to have built its subway system when it did because I definitely could not see that happening now. Sadly, I don't see any US cities that don't already have a subway system building one.
No new taxes, read lips, etc blah blah blah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 02:56 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,903,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Not me, I'm not old enough. Oh, and if I were, where do I get one today, Sunday?

I see that Connect Cards are available Downtown:
At the Service Center, oh wait - Open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays (excluding holidays)
At Liberty News, oh wait, closed Sundays
At Pittsburgh News, oh wait, I have no idea when they are open.
At the T-Stations, oh wait, I am going to Oakland, and I'm on Fifth Avenue at CVS. Let's see , I walk down to the Gateway Station, and then walk back up to Fifth and Wood, since Heinz Healey forced the Port Authority to close that stop in front of the store, man that is a lot of walking on a hot day.
Or, I can go up to the Steel Plaza station, I could even take the bus, and then get off, and then get another bus.

Or, I am in Oakland and want to get a Connect Card, only place is United Check Cashing, and they are closed Sundays. Guess I will have to walk to the Shadyside Market District.

Can we make it *more* challenging to get a Connect card?
Any reason you forgot to mention Giant Eagle?

Old 06-29-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I do agree that the state needs to find better ways to allocate transportation funding but there is still plenty of blame to put at the federal level as well. They don't properly invest in infrastructure across the country that's why other countries in Europe and Asia have surpassed the United States when it comes to transportation. I'm not just talking about mass transit but roads and bridges as well. America has fallen behind badly when it comes to transportation infrastructure. Pittsburgh is lucky to have built its subway system when it did because I definitely could not see that happening now. Sadly, I don't see any US cities that don't already have a subway system building one.
Face it, we can't build or maintain anything in this country anymore. It truly is sad ... We've become a country of Greed (take in more, spend less) ... It's taken over every faucet of our Society and this is why America is in Decline.....Socially, Economically, Educationally, Politically.

Just look at NYC, for such a "World Class City" its infrastructure SUCKS! Subways are old, overcrowded and obsolete...

Old 06-29-2014, 03:12 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,095,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Any reason you forgot to mention Giant Eagle?
?? I said Shadyside Market District?

Old 06-29-2014, 03:14 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,723,334 times
Quote:
Face it, we can't build or maintain anything in this country anymore. It truly is sad ... We've become a country of Greed (take in more, spend less) ... It's taken over every faucet of our Society and this is why America is in Decline, Socially, Economically, Educationally, Politically
It's true, and we can see the effect of this across every portion of society. Long story short, people have big ideas and big aspirations but somehow fail to realize the the United States as a whole is in (arguably steep) decline.

Things are going to get worse before they get better and the government seems to know this too. That's probably why they're keeping such a tight spy network over its citizens and militarizing police forces. So while some people have positive aspirations as to where they want society to be headed the reality is that we're still on that downward spiral and it's only going to get worse.

So essentially in the grand scheme of things a crappy public transit network is on the lower end of the totem pole if we're looking at the big picture.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
?? I said Shadyside Market District?
I missed that..... anyway.... Like I said previously Once you're able to refill online and via Mobile Apps. There wont be any excuse. I hope that's the last piece of the Puzzle PAT is waiting for before dis-incentivizing the use of Cash. I know soon you'll NO longer be able to buy Transfers with Cash... Transfers will only be electronically stored on CCs, that's one Cash deterrent right there.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:41 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,268,400 times
Quote:
Face it, we can't build or maintain anything in this country anymore. It truly is sad ... We've become a country of Greed (take in more, spend less) ... It's taken over every faucet of our Society and this is why America is in Decline.....Socially, Economically, Educationally, Politically.

Just look at NYC, for such a "World Class City" its infrastructure SUCKS! Subways are old, overcrowded and obsolete...

A lot of infrastructure is still being built, New York, example given, built those two new stadia for their baseball teams and they are supposed to be building a new subway line.

If the trains get the people from where they are to where they want to be, they are performing their mission.

That's really all that can be expected.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:45 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,915,194 times
this idea that people and jobs will flee the city for suburbs or other cities because of increase to fares is funny to me. wages here might not be high, but what do you think of how folks who live in the dc area manage to live in an area where rent on average is over 1400/mo and they make 9 or 10/hr? they still take buses/trains into work, regardless of it being in the city or in a suburb of VA or MD. they make it work.

To think folks in this city are somehow unable to make it is just a disservice to be honest. While im at it, PAt should jack up rates on pitt and CMU if the students take the bus too, but that just my opinion.

you can't have the cake and eat it too, Pittsburgh.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:11 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,587,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
this idea that people and jobs will flee the city for suburbs or other cities because of increase to fares is funny to me. wages here might not be high, but what do you think of how folks who live in the dc area manage to live in an area where rent on average is over 1400/mo and they make 9 or 10/hr? they still take buses/trains into work, regardless of it being in the city or in a suburb of VA or MD. they make it work.

To think folks in this city are somehow unable to make it is just a disservice to be honest. While im at it, PAt should jack up rates on pitt and CMU if the students take the bus too, but that just my opinion.

you can't have the cake and eat it too, Pittsburgh.
They manage to pay it because the current bus fare in DC and NYC costs less than PAT and parking in Pittsburgh costs way less than NYC or DC. When do the hard questions start?

Old 06-29-2014, 04:20 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,723,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
They manage to pay it because the current bus fare in DC and NYC costs less than PAT and parking in Pittsburgh costs way less than NYC or DC. When do the hard questions start?
This site says that average DC parking is $270 a month and in downtown Pittsburgh some monthly go for over $300. So in some instances parking is more expensive here than in DC (public transit here is more expensive).

Year after year it gets more expensive to get to work in Pittsburgh but yet wages remain low and stagnant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh