Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 04:21 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,901,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
A lot of infrastructure is still being built, New York, example given, built those two new stadia for their baseball teams and they are supposed to be building a new subway line.

If the trains get the people from where they are to where they want to be, they are performing their mission.

That's really all that can be expected.
You know how long they've been building that subway line???? ... Lets just say the entire NYC subway was built in less time, and now they've pushed it back for the 1000'th time, the new competition date is now 2022 and that's just the 1st phase 96th Street to 59th.... LMAO...the entire line is supposed to go from 125th, all the way Downtown and into Brooklyn, forget about in our lifetimes, I mean will the Earth even still be here by that time???!!!

Stadiums don't move people efficiently around. Problem is the current system isn't getting people where they need to be... NYC population has so far overgrown its current infrastructure, its amazing the city still functions . When I used to live there at my Job, start time was 9:30, but it was 10am before you were really consider "late" and needed to notify someone. That half hour buffer just became apart of the culture because of peoples commutes and the unreliability of transportation. When it Rains forget it!, everyone in the office will be late, bosses didn't even look for an excuse, hell sometime you'd beat them to work even though you were late too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 04:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
this idea that people and jobs will flee the city for suburbs or other cities because of increase to fares is funny to me. wages here might not be high, but what do you think of how folks who live in the dc area manage to live in an area where rent on average is over 1400/mo and they make 9 or 10/hr? they still take buses/trains into work, regardless of it being in the city or in a suburb of VA or MD. they make it work.

To think folks in this city are somehow unable to make it is just a disservice to be honest. While im at it, PAt should jack up rates on pitt and CMU if the students take the bus too, but that just my opinion.

you can't have the cake and eat it too, Pittsburgh.
We're not saying people will be unable to make it ends meet with higher commuting costs. We're saying Downtown isn't the only game in town. There will be a tipping point when some people will chose to work in the suburbs.

A person would have to be a fool, or have zero options, to live and work in DC for $10/hour. They are either living with their parents or renting rooms. $10/hour doesn't even net $1400/month. There's no need for Pittsburghers to live like college students for their entire lives, like many people are doing in the DC area.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:41 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,587,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
This site says that average DC parking is $270 a month and in downtown Pittsburgh some monthly go for over $300. So in some instances parking is more expensive here than in DC (public transit here is more expensive).
Fair enough. I still think 2.50 is a pretty high off-peak fare if transfers aren't free, and it's sub $200/mo to park if you cross the river. Really my objection is just being asked to pay more than most of the nation for worse service than most of the nation, and I especially object to telling Pitt/CMU students to reach deeper into their pockets, especially if the person making these demands is on their way out of town for good, so they'll never have to pay it, and if you don't agree it's because you're stupid and afraid of change. Way to win over an audience.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:51 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,722,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Fair enough. I still think 2.50 is a pretty high off-peak fare if transfers aren't free, and it's sub $200/mo to park if you cross the river. Really my objection is just being asked to pay more than most of the nation for worse service than most of the nation, and I especially object to telling Pitt/CMU students to reach deeper into their pockets, especially if the person making these demands is on their way out of town for good, so they'll never have to pay it, and if you don't agree it's because you're stupid and afraid of change. Way to win over an audience.
100% agree. Paying more for less service is never a good business model.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:01 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,914,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We're not saying people will be unable to make it ends meet with higher commuting costs. We're saying Downtown isn't the only game in town. There will be a tipping point when some people will chose to work in the suburbs.

A person would have to be a fool, or have zero options, to live and work in DC for $10/hour. They are either living with their parents or renting rooms. $10/hour doesn't even net $1400/month. There's no need for Pittsburghers to live like college students for their entire lives, like many people are doing in the DC area.

I don't know if you know anyone personally there, but I know a lot of them have a degree and do so to save money. 20-40 year olds because of rent. Im semi shocked at your attitude about them, but im not surprised.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:04 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,914,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post

more than most of the nation? hmm im not sure about that. True about the service lacking though. the system needs an overhaul for sure. Students paying more? if anything its just asking the overinflated tuitions that should help pay for the cost that students pay for it. part of the tuition includes the fee to ride the buses, no? there are some fees I find stupid and I rather it go towards the port authority than the school. its nonsense. if you add that up by the thousands, that's extra money towards PAT. that's all im saying.

yes I am leaving the city soon. doe that mean I cant comment on what I think should happen after living here a year? out of all the cities I lived in, Pittsburgh is the one that I cant find a single source to its issues. theres too many. I wanted to stay here post college, but it seems that even my career would stagnate and id be another under employed grad.

just am happy we can all have a civil discussion over this (for the most part) . id be sad if yac had to come and close it (shoo, go away yac!)

Old 06-29-2014, 06:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times
Quote:
I don't know if you know anyone personally there, but I know a lot of them have a degree and do so to save money. 20-40 year olds because of rent. Im semi shocked at your attitude about them, but im not surprised.
You're the one using DC as an example Pittsburgh emulate while mature adults need to live like college students there. Why can't you see the positive aspects of Pittsburgh? It's truly an advantage that the majority of the population can afford their own housing. When we resist your idea of transportation utopia, you say "people in DC can afford it." I'm pointing out the ridiculousness of that statement. The people of DC are not affording it at the same standard of living Pittsburghers have.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:25 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,267,438 times
Quote:

People in their 20's and 30's who have degrees really need to rethink their life's plan if they are only making $10/hour and live in an ultra-expensive town like Washington.

People in that age bracket are in the phase of life where they are ordinarily building a life and a family for themselves- scraping by with roommates or living in mom's basement just doesn't do it.

They'd be better off in a smaller city, or a suburban area where the expenses are a lot less and they'd stand a chance at reaching some life's goals.

I can't say those in DC or New York who choose this life are wrong, its their own personal choice. But thinking that the city fathers here should strive to make that the standard here- well, it just doesn't seem wise. Businesses have other choices as far as location, and the people aren't chained here either.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:39 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,694,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
People in their 20's and 30's who have degrees really need to rethink their life's plan if they are only making $10/hour and live in an ultra-expensive town like Washington.

People in that age bracket are in the phase of life where they are ordinarily building a life and a family for themselves- scraping by with roommates or living in mom's basement just doesn't do it.

They'd be better off in a smaller city, or a suburban area where the expenses are a lot less and they'd stand a chance at reaching some life's goals.
I agree.

Meg Jay: Why 30 is not the new 20 | Talk Transcript | TED.com

Old 06-29-2014, 06:41 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,587,160 times
NYC, DC, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle. None have more expensive off peak non express buses, and NYC is the only tie. And all of them have superior service. Many of them have more expensive trains and express routes, but that's not a fair comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh