Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 11:27 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times

Advertisements

The rash of killings that have brought this to light were in the North Side, however they put the feet on the ground in the eastern neighborhoods.

Does the housing authority have it's own police force?

Police to step up walking patrols to help combat wave of violence | TribLIVE

I am a fan of the mayor and I hope Bucar can make some changes, but how about we get some cops out of the cars in ALL of the neighborhoods of the city that are walkable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 01:02 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
I agree. Beat cops can be a deterrent for most crimes. The random shootings are out of control and some action is needed.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:05 PM

56 posts, read 89,597 times
I thought that adding additional walking patrols to only the east end was a bit odd, then I remembered who the mayor is and since it seems like he is controlled by east end developers it made a lot more sense.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:07 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I agree. Beat cops can be a deterrent for most crimes. The random shootings are out of control and some action is needed.
I don't really think these shootings are "random". Do you really think one male is walking into the projects and just shooting the first other male he sees? These are all related to drug deals gone bad, someone feeling "disrespected", someone owing a debt, someone fighting over a female, etc., etc. The problem is that people in the "community" have the "I ain't not seen nothin" mentality towards the police and are protecting these murderers for some reason or other.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:08 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
A few years ago I read about a program in some cities (not Pittsburgh, I don't think) where community members would sit together outside in "bad" neighborhoods in the evenings, talking to people and keeping and eye on things. Crime in those areas did decrease, but some places might not be conducive to that.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I don't really think these shootings are "random". Do you really think one male is walking into the projects and just shooting the first other male he sees? These are all related to drug deals gone bad, someone feeling "disrespected", someone owing a debt, someone fighting over a female, etc., etc. The problem is that people in the "community" have the "I ain't not seen nothin" mentality towards the police and are protecting these murderers for some reason or other.
I was referring to the recent shooting in the Strip where five people were shot. The "community" is not protecting the murderers, they are protecting themselves. The fear of retaliation is what keeps the "community" silent. Nevermind the media hyped " do not snitch" code. Don't believe the hype SCR.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
A few years ago I read about a program in some cities (not Pittsburgh, I don't think) where community members would sit together outside in "bad" neighborhoods in the evenings, talking to people and keeping and eye on things. Crime in those areas did decrease, but some places might not be conducive to that.
This was popular in the 90s and was done here as well. Most of the efforts were led by church groups. The suburbanation of the black church has led to fewer voices in communties affected by violent crime. Homewood lost another 10% of its population over the past ten years. Most of the decrease was do to older middle class black residents dying and working and middle class families moving away.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:37 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
"I ain't not seen nothin"? Really?

Old 08-04-2014, 02:52 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Tomorrow, August 5, is National Night Out.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
...but how about we get some cops out of the cars in ALL of the neighborhoods of the city that are walkable?
Good luck with that. They won't even get out of their cars when a crime is committed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh