Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:27 AM

49 posts, read 79,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
And Pitt and Penn State haven't had a real rivalry for ages--over 20 years, I believe. These days, I don't think students from either school invest much time in thinking about the other.
There was a lot of good-natured fun (and some not-so-good) involved with that rivalry. PSU doesnt have the same vitriol towards Ohio State or Michigan because we're still the "new kid on the block" in the Big Ten. Although that 2005 PSU-OSU game was one for the ages.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:29 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgher-Brad View Post
You seem to have a creepy obsession with college boys' sexual habits. Get some help.
There's a joke here somewhere...

Old 08-18-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
There's a joke here somewhere...
I had a couple family members who are devout Catholics express their disgust at the Sandusky sex scandal. Wow, the irony on that one.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:36 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
You seem to have a creepy obsession with college boys' sexual habits. Get some help.
You're the one who brought it up. Not I.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I had a couple family members who are devout Catholics express their disgust at the Sandusky sex scandal. Wow, the irony on that one.
Was this a selective expression of disgust?

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 08-18-2014 at 09:51 AM..

Old 08-18-2014, 09:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Not sure what college you went to (or if you went at all), but I can assure you I hate your university even more! PSU rules you, and you might as well stop denying it.

As far as the girls, it was a wide spectrum like anywhere else. I lived in South Halls so I was blessed to be in a male dorm surrounded by 3 or 4 sorority dorms. The dining halls seemed to be around 70-30 female-to-male ratio so I never complained about that. Many girls were too nerdy for my taste, but there were hotties to be seen on a Friday or Saturday night at the frat parties and downtown bars. To be brutally honest, I never had a girlfriend while at Old State since I always believed college was the best time to be single and available for random hookups, which I did partake in from time to time.
Good grief! Further down the thread, you say you were going there in 1990! That's been 24, almost 25 years ago now, and you're still talking like a freshman?

My brother went there, and my dad taught at the Beaver campus. I don't "Hate State" though I went to Pitt, but get a grip!

Old 08-18-2014, 09:53 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Well you just end up sounding like a bitter, jealous outsider when you say things like "I hate Penn State". It's pretty hard to actually "hate" a university when it's a large state school with a very diverse community with a myriad of goals and missions and priorities. I've had good fun with alumni of Pitt and Notre Dame over the years but I get where they're coming from and it's all for snorts and giggles. Some of the other PSU Haters are people like you who probably couldn't into University Park with your meager academic credentials and thus you hold years of resentment because of it. I feed off your hate because I got my degree and you don't.
Love this response, so typical of what I've found from PSU. I mention my personal experiences with numerous PSU alumni - coming from a starting position of neutrality - and I'm told I'm the ass.

Worth noting is that I didn't even say "I hate PSU" nor do I have "years of resentment" as for most of my adult life I had no dog in any fight between Pitt (or any other school) and PSU. For all the education PSU provides, reading comprehension does not appear to be a prerequisite for graduation.

Had PSU had a good undergrad journalism program when I graduated high school, I might've applied. But they didn't, so I didn't. I can tell you that I was accepted at two of the top 10 journalism schools of that era. I was also rejected by a couple of others.

So I'd like to congratulate you on reinforcing the stereotype of PSU alumni that's being discussed here. Best of luck feeding off your hate in later life. Please be sure to let us all know what that hate is worth in either real dollars or societal benefit.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Was this a selective expression of disgust?
I guess you could call it that. Catholics seem to be good at selective expressions of disgust

Old 08-18-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I guess you could call it that. Catholics seem to be good at selective expressions of disgust
The overwhelming majority of Catholics denounced both the sex crimes and the coverup--same with the overwhelming majority of PSUers. But a visible minority from both camps stuck their heads in the sand or tried to whitewash the whole thing. For those PSUers, the University was their church and JoePa was their pope.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Love this response, so typical of what I've found from PSU. I mention my personal experiences with numerous PSU alumni - coming from a starting position of neutrality - and I'm told I'm the ass.

Worth noting is that I didn't even say "I hate PSU" nor do I have "years of resentment" as for most of my adult life I had no dog in any fight between Pitt (or any other school) and PSU. For all the education PSU provides, reading comprehension does not appear to be a prerequisite for graduation.

Had PSU had a good undergrad journalism program when I graduated high school, I might've applied. But they didn't, so I didn't. I can tell you that I was accepted at two of the top 10 journalism schools of that era. I was also rejected by a couple of others.

So I'd like to congratulate you on reinforcing the stereotype of PSU alumni that's being discussed here. Best of luck feeding off your hate in later life. Please be sure to let us all know what that hate is worth in either real dollars or societal benefit.
You got some deep-rooted jealousy of PSU stirring around in your dark void of a soul. I feed off that --- it makes me shine like a diamond.

I'll be the first to admit PSU is not a journalism powerhouse, although in the past I've heard many newspapers thought highly of the training kids get by working at the "Daily Collegian" (one of the better student-run newspapers in America). We built our national reputation in engineering, agriculture, and meteorology --- all those score in the Top 10 among U.S. universities. Programs that actually move America into the 21st century and beyond. All I hear from journalists these days is endless whining about dwindling job security because of the era of blogs and social media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh