Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 01:02 PM

38 posts, read 37,266 times

Advertisements

I'm currently looking at Frick Park on Google Maps. In particular, I'm looking at the area that is under construction, across from Commercial street. I see a few open dirt areas that border the homes in that area. Is anyone familiar with where I am speaking of?

I am interested in to what it is like, because I have a number of radio control vehicles that I would like to take there, if I knew more about the terrain. I know there is like a makeshift BMX track in that woods, but how about the areas I'm speaking of?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 01:14 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,883 times
The construction site is where they park trucks to work on the bridge that is I376.

There's a trail that leads to duck hollow and eventually to the Eliza Furnace trail.

The woods behind there that border swisshelm park are owned by the URA and are not park property. There are eventual plans to extend Summerset at Frick Park over to that side via a bridge.

The bmx jumps are not anything to write home about and haven't been maintained well since the late 90s.

Some of the sickest mountain biking in allegheny county is just beyond there in those woods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VICFyBWgX5s

Old 08-18-2014, 01:32 PM

There also seems to be trail construction going on.

Bottom line, the dirt lots I'm speaking of, that look like they have some imbeded trails in them, are not park property? Looks like some worn in trails going from those homes. It loooks like the area has been previously mined or like a gravel pit or something. In particular, I'm looking at the ends of Pocono and Love Streets

Old 08-18-2014, 01:54 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrp2014 View Post
There also seems to be trail construction going on.

Bottom line, the dirt lots I'm speaking of, that look like they have some imbeded trails in them, are not park property? Looks like some worn in trails going from those homes. It loooks like the area has been previously mined or like a gravel pit or something. In particular, I'm looking at the ends of Pocono and Love Streets
The area at the end of Pocono and Love Streets is a slag dump (waste byproduct from the steel making process), and is not public property. Generally speaking, there isn't much enforcement to deter people from using the area.

What kind of RC stuff do you have?

Old 08-18-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
The area at the end of Pocono and Love Streets is a slag dump (waste byproduct from the steel making process), and is not public property. Generally speaking, there isn't much enforcement to deter people from using the area.

What kind of RC stuff do you have?
I'm buying and selling stuff all the time. Right now, I've got two Ken Block cars (1/16 scale and 1/8 scale) and an Axial Deadbolt rock crawler. I had an Associated short course truck, but I sold that because the closest track is in Butler county, but if this area is what I think it is (often referred to as "the" slag dump) I may get another. It looks like there is a lot of wide open space and jumps

Last edited by msrp2014; 08-18-2014 at 03:07 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I'm buying and selling stuff all the time. Right now, I've got two Ken Block cars (1/16 scale and 1/8 scale) and an Axial Deadbolt rock crawler. I had an Associated short course truck, but I sold that because the closest track is in Butler county, but if this area is what I think it is (often referred to as "the" slag dump) I may get another.
The slag dump has rocks (chunks of slag) that are too big for the 1/16 rally cars for sure, and maybe even too big for the 1/8 cars. So I would say don't even borther to bring the 1/16 rally car to the slag dump. I haven't been up there in a few years, but I did have a Traxxas slash up there a couple of times, so it may be worth checking out.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:45 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,883 times
As long as the cars aren't loud, I'm sure nobody will care. It is kind of a wasteland on that open area with strange piles of garbage.

I once came across a steelers pregame BBQ going on there. They had chairs - grill, wdve, etc.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
As long as the cars aren't loud, I'm sure nobody will care. It is kind of a wasteland on that open area with strange piles of garbage.

They are electric

Old 08-18-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
The slag dump has rocks (chunks of slag) that are too big for the 1/16 rally cars for sure, and maybe even too big for the 1/8 cars. So I would say don't even borther to bring the 1/16 rally car to the slag dump. I haven't been up there in a few years, but I did have a Traxxas slash up there a couple of times, so it may be worth checking out.
I would never bring the cars, they 1/8 scale has replica Pirelli tires and the 1/16 has the hardened rubber tires that allow it to slide around like Ken Blocks Gymkhana driving. I'm considering getting another short course truck if there is an area of jumps and banks.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I would never bring the cars, they 1/8 scale has replica Pirelli tires and the 1/16 has the hardened rubber tires that allow it to slide around like Ken Blocks Gymkhana driving. I'm considering getting another short course truck if there is an area of jumps and banks.
I don't know what's left up there anymore, but if the rain holds off tomorrow, I'll try to find the time to ride my bike up there to see what it's like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh