Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 06:43 AM

35 posts, read 47,494 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My family of 6 with 4 children ages pre-school to high school have been looking everywhere north of Pittsburgh for a house with acreage and in a good school district without finding anything "perfect". We are considering a house in the rural Darlington area and the children would go to Blackhawk schools in Chippewa (and that would likely be where we would mostly go for anything needed) and a house in Beaver with the children going to Beaver Area Schools. The property taxes on the house in Beaver is considerably higher and the house there will need more work to make it suitable for us. Any thoughts of anyone about either of the two areas as it relates to children and quality of life? Economic stability of either area? Proximity of family activities to either area? Real estate market in either area for when it's time to re-sale? Thanks in advance for any firsthand input you share. We have explored both areas and I have a definite favorite which is not my husband's definite favorite so we are trying to get some feedback from others to hopefully break our stalemate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 07:47 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,976,546 times
The basics: both offer good quality of life and pretty good school districts. Beaver would give you small town life and amenities, but it's a picture-perfect town with a vibrant business district, parks, restaurants, coffee shops, and a chance to interact with people on the street. If you buy in the town, you're not going to get acreage, but you will find solidly-built, mostly classic brick homes. Beaver is a prosperous little town and is the county seat of Beaver County. Housing prices in town are higher than other towns in the county due to their desirability.

Darlington/Chippewa would offer you more land and probably newer houses, if that is what you are looking for. You would not have the "Mayberry" atmosphere that Beaver would have. All comes down to your personal preferences.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:17 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,642,847 times
I believe from what you have posted before the property in Beaver is not in town and has the acreage as well. I think Beaver schools are rated slightly better but to me not enough negate the Chippewa property. The commute for your dh would likely be tedious from both. For me I would only pay the higher taxes if I was in walking distance to downtown ..otherwise I don't think it is worth it....if the houses/properties are comparable.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:12 PM

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, hinsey86, you care correct that both houses have acreage. Both have houses large enough for our family so the question is what are each of the communities really like for people who live there versus just visiting like we have done? The reason I feel Beaver has a stronger school system is because of the results of the state testing. I believe there are 104 western PA schools that were ranked according to their test scores and Beaver Area schools were 17 while Blackhawk is 45. Upper St. Clair tops Honor Roll rank - Pittsburgh Business Times So one school is in the top 16% of all schools in the Pittsburgh area while the other is at 43%. I find that a considerable difference.

Additionally usnew.com states that Beaver Area school district has a 43% participation in AP classes with a 78% pass rate whereas Blackhawk has 40% participation but only a 55% pass rate. Beaver Area Senior High School in BEAVER, PA | Test Scores | US News
I also am curious about the students that attend each school. It seems to me Blackhawk might have children that are more accustomed to a rural setting so more likely to hunt and fish and ride ATVs but maybe I am completely off-base? My children are very much suburban children and have no skills or interest in these areas (well, maybe an ATV although they have no idea yet how to drive one!).

Further, Beaver Area schools made AYP whereas Blackhawk did not and was issued a "warning" status for 2012. Beaver Area schools had over 1/2 of students placing Advanced in Reading and Math whereas less than 1/2 of students placed Advanced for Blackhawk. http://paayp.emetric.net/Content/rep...D127041203.PDF

Now these are "only numbers" but what I see is perhaps a bit more of a "private school" atmosphere at Beaver in that the majority of the students are on the college track and thus will raise the bar in everyday teaching. When the majority of the students "get" what is being taught, the teacher can only do more with them. Sure I am making some generalizations here but this is how I see education. But I do acknowledge there might be more to a school than what numbers show so that is why I am hoping people with firsthand knowledge can share their experiences with me. I do look at the reviews on greatschools.org, knowing that they don't necessarily express the views of all, and Beaver is ranked with a 9 out of 10 with positive reviews and Blackhawk is rated a 7 with mixed reviews, several saying bullying and athlete favoritism is rampant.

Also, another concern is proximity of friends. The house in the Blackhawk district is actually west of Darlington. The Beaver house is just off Tuscarawas Road and close to many subdivisions, some brand-new.

I'm guessing I have revealed which area I am leaning toward! lol

Old 08-20-2014, 12:37 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,728,582 times
Chippewa is more akin to rural suburbs, not many people are riding around ATVs haha.

Beaver is a small town that is nicely kept. That area is the among the most wealthy in Beaver County. Coming from someone who lived in the county for a bit, I wouldn't mind living in Beaver at all but I think Chippewa is insanely boring.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:39 PM

38 posts, read 37,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post

Beaver is a small town that is nicely kept. That area is the among the most wealthy in Beaver County. Coming from someone who lived in the county for a bit, I wouldn't mind living in Beaver at all but I think Chippewa is insanely boring.

I'm surprised to read your comments.............I have a few former coworkers who paint the area as a Section 8 paradise.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:55 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,728,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrp2014 View Post
I'm surprised to read your comments.............I have a few former coworkers who paint the area as a Section 8 paradise.
The actual town of Beaver? A lot of people don't realize that there is a small town called Beaver and the county as a whole is Beaver County. If you talk to the locals in places like Bridgewater or other places they all say the town of Beaver "has money". The store fronts and sidewalks are all restored, there are beautiful Victorian homes, and there are some really good restaurants (with a few more that have opened recently).

Around the county you'll will find pockets of Section 8 (Alquippa for example) and poverty at various levels (Beaver Falls is rough). But the actual town of Beaver is pretty cool.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Chippewa is more akin to rural suburbs, not many people are riding around ATVs haha.

Haha! I guess I am not referring to Chippewa so much as the house is about 15 minutes west of Chippewa, past Darlington, but since the schools and shopping are in Chippewa, I was asking about it.

I agree about Beaver itself having money. Just look at the city website versus many other city websites in the area. It gives every appearance of being a well run and well funded area. Apparently there recently was an initiative that placed benches around the city. The crosswalks actually have a nice sound differentiating between which direction which is safe to cross and the clock plays music which is nice to listen to dining al fresco downtown. I have heard the park on the river is very nice although we have not made it there yet. The storefronts downtown are so stinking quaint. Our first visit there I could not stop smiling and saying how quaint EVERYTHING downtown is. To me, paying higher taxes is warranted if the school district is excellent and the town is spending the money wisely in a way that improves the town and makes it worthwhile to the residents and I think Beaver is meeting both of these criteria.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
The actual town of Beaver? A lot of people don't realize that there is a small town called Beaver and the county as a whole is Beaver County. If you talk to the locals in places like Bridgewater or other places they all say the town of Beaver "has money". The store fronts and sidewalks are all restored, there are beautiful Victorian homes, and there are some really good restaurants (with a few more that have opened recently).

Around the county you'll will find pockets of Section 8 (Alquippa for example) and poverty at various levels (Beaver Falls is rough). But the actual town of Beaver is pretty cool.
Well said. This is exactly what I have discovered. Marios' Wood Fired Pizzeria makes the BEST pasta!!! And the great thing is that all the chain restaurants and stores and a mall is just a short drive across the river. Although Subway, Little Caesar's and Dairy Queen, all of which we eat at weekly, are conveniently located in Beaver.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:13 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,642,847 times
Sounds like you made up your mind. I must say that living in semi rural area with a fairly rural inclined school and this area has the strongest community bond of any place I have ever lived. You know your kids and have to go what fits for you and your family.

And the other comment about section 8 comment was quite funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh