Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 02:38 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Did you even read the article GG posted? Here's the last paragraph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
SCR, doesn't really read my posts fully. At least there is a little hope, right Hopes?
No, I did not read the article because I've already reached my maximum monthly "free" articles that I'm able to read online at the Post-Gazette's website. With that being said, PennDOT saying they are "planning to tackle something" doesn't give me much hope that it's going to be ameliorated anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 06:51 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Quote:
The reason it backs up worse at the Highland Park Bridge is because traffic can freely flow at all the bridges south. Previously, traffic was delayed in at the other bridges which lightened the bottle neck at the Highland Park Bridge because traffic trickled north. It's no different than taking 66 (Ohio River Blvd) and traffic backing up at the McKees Rocks Bridge. Any sudden delay will cause a backup. When they make it two lanes at the Highland Park Bridge, there won't be delays except for 28 South between RIDC and Fox Chapel unless they create a separate dedicated lane for the Fox Chapel exit.

I'm glad to hear they plan a second phase to correct these problem at the Highland Park Bridge. I'm sure they'll address the problem between RIDC and Fox Chapel at that time too.

My husband is personally upset that they didn't make it a 6 lane highway. He thinks all the money they spent should have included additional lanes like 279 has additional lanes when it gets closer to the city.

I was unaware of the plans to improve it, and also never realized that was the why it is such a pain now, but make sense. Now that the rest of the road doesn't suck, the one area that does is much worse.

Thanks!

Old 11-18-2014, 08:17 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,802 times
Our leaders are touting this project as being complete but as long as the ramp from the Veterans Bridge to Route 28 is closed, it is still having a negative impact on traffic.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:23 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Our leaders are touting this project as being complete but as long as the ramp from the Veterans Bridge to Route 28 is closed, it is still having a negative impact on traffic.
The article says the Veterans Bridge ramp was reopened.

I'll ask my husband to confirm that when he goes down Route 28 today or tomorrow.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:57 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
No, I did not read the article because I've already reached my maximum monthly "free" articles that I'm able to read online at the Post-Gazette's website. With that being said, PennDOT saying they are "planning to tackle something" doesn't give me much hope that it's going to be ameliorated anytime soon.
Whoa, I didn't know there was some monthly limit on the Post Gazette. I could have copied and pasted it for you. Yac loves stuff like that I am sure.

Overall, I am happy with Rt 28, even with that backup at the HPB. There are ways around it.

My commute downtown for a dinner or whatever is about 10 minutes! I can't complain.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:57 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,802 times
Quote:
The article says the Veterans Bridge ramp was reopened.

I'll ask my husband to confirm that when he goes down Route 28 today or tomorrow.
It was not open for the evening rush hour yesterday. Maybe it opened after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh