Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 01:14 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times

Advertisements

General Electric has closed on a site just off PA 576 on which it intends to build a 180,000-square-foot advanced manufacturing facility. Apparently they plan to manufacture plastic resins there, which requires ethylene. Also, though it hasn't been confirmed yet, apparently Ensinger Plastics has bought a site for a 250,000-square-foot facility as well. And two heavy hitters in construction -- Trumbull and Mascaro -- have entered a joint venture for preparation of the Shell cracker site in Monaca.

I wonder if these three moves are related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 05:15 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Yea, because people would see "GE" and Advanced Manufacturing Facility in the same title and immediately think Giant Eagle..... Why not just write General Electric if you thought it would actually be confusing for people... As you said people need better "Clarity"

Old 11-15-2014, 05:56 AM

22,560 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Really? Isn't it too early to fight?

Well, that is great news for the area!
Manufacturing is short-shifted here... it will be nice to get more of those jobs.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:02 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
In a related vein Paragon Foods is moving out of Lawrenceville to build a new facility in the Thorn Hill Industrial Park in Marshall Township so they can expand their operations and grow their workforce. It's sad to see an institution like this leave the city, but then again a dense urban neighborhood (and one that is increasingly valuable for residential redevelopment, like Lawrenceville with its $2,000+/month rents) may not be the best place for these truck-heavy industries these days. Most new Lawrencevillians who can afford today's prevailing rents are going to be working for UPMC, Google, PNC, Intel, 4Moms, GNC, American Eagle, architectural firms, software start-ups, etc. and NOT going to be able to afford living in Lawrenceville delivering produce for Paragon, so I guess it makes sense for them to move to an area where it's cheaper for them to operate and cheaper for their employees to live, too.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:38 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
And I see that Fed Ex ground is building a 200 or 300,000 sq ft facility in Lancaster Township north of Cranberry along 79 that will employ 200. Nice gains lately - and these aren't companies just moving from one part of town to another (except Paragon).

Interesting that General Electric just announced this. I hadn't heard that they were looking or being courted by the region. Didn't know this could be the result of the cracker plant possibly coming. Does GE know something that has not been announced yet?

Old 11-15-2014, 12:44 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
And I see that Fed Ex ground is building a 200 or 300,000 sq ft facility in Lancaster Township north of Cranberry along 79 that will employ 200. Nice gains lately - and these aren't companies just moving from one part of town to another (except Paragon).
My bet is they closed the location in Butler. Not really a gain but a lateral move.

Yep, here it is. So companies are moving from one location to another like Westinghouse did. Doesn't count as real regional growth.

New industrial park has Jackson Township jumping - Pittsburgh Business Times

More sprawl for the I-79 corridor.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:17 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Yea, because people would see "GE" and Advanced Manufacturing Facility in the same title and immediately think Giant Eagle..... Why not just write General Electric if you thought it would actually be confusing for people... As you said people need better "Clarity"
damn. chill

Old 11-15-2014, 03:55 PM

369 posts, read 462,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Interesting that General Electric just announced this. I hadn't heard that they were looking or being courted by the region. Didn't know this could be the result of the cracker plant possibly coming. Does GE know something that has not been announced yet?
Interesting that Findlay seemed to be surprised by this as well:

"Findlay manager Gary Kingman said GE has not contacted him about its plans for the facility but he would welcome the company's arrival."
General Electric to build advanced manufacturing plant in Findlay | TribLIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
My bet is they closed the location in Butler. Not really a gain but a lateral move.

Yep, here it is. So companies are moving from one location to another like Westinghouse did. Doesn't count as real regional growth.
The FedEx facility will be a gain.

"This new facility will join an existing station on Neville Island, enabling us to continue to meet and exceed customer demands in the Pittsburgh area," FedEx Ground said in a statement. "The new facility is projected to open with about 200 full- and part-time jobs, and we will add to the overall area workforce as necessary to support increased demand for service."
FedEx Ground to build 300K-square-foot distribution center in Jackson Township - Pittsburgh Business Times

And for the companies that are relocating within the region, how does moving to a larger facility not count as growth?

Old 11-15-2014, 04:58 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post

More sprawl for the I-79 corridor.

That's a negative spin on it.

The Pittsburgh area is growing, and a lot of businesses want to be closer to their employees and customers and most live in the suburbs. Not everyone wants to live in town, not everyone can afford to live in town either.

Butler County has a lot going for it, I hope the new business park is a success.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:40 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
Interesting that Findlay seemed to be surprised by this as well:

"Findlay manager Gary Kingman said GE has not contacted him about its plans for the facility but he would welcome the company's arrival."
General Electric to build advanced manufacturing plant in Findlay | TribLIVE

The FedEx facility will be a gain.

"This new facility will join an existing station on Neville Island, enabling us to continue to meet and exceed customer demands in the Pittsburgh area," FedEx Ground said in a statement. "The new facility is projected to open with about 200 full- and part-time jobs, and we will add to the overall area workforce as necessary to support increased demand for service."
FedEx Ground to build 300K-square-foot distribution center in Jackson Township - Pittsburgh Business Times

And for the companies that are relocating within the region, how does moving to a larger facility not count as growth?
My guess is the Neville Island center will be closed once the new facility opens or else operate on a skeleton crew.

The post office did the same thing. Closed all of the smaller distribution centers, including New Castle, and consolidated them in Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh