Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 03:00 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,266,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
For the most part people don't tell the truth about the length of their commute. They frequently don't take into consideration walking to and from the bus or parking garage.

And that's the great advantage to parking right in front of the joint.

I drive from L'ville to New Ken, 22 minutes of travel one way going opposite the heavy travel direction.

parking a few steps from the door, its a shorter commute time wise from working in town when you factor in the 7 or 8 minutes it takes to get from Penn Avenue to Forbes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 03:03 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,556,285 times
20 seconds from 1st floor to bsmnt unless I trip over the butler.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:44 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
20 seconds from 1st floor to bsmnt unless I trip over the butler.
Bingo. Takes me 40secs from the 2nd floor.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:48 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
True. My daughter took an "urban geography" course in college where they learned the reason for that, but I forget it now. But it's pretty universal. I don't think it's just that they don't add in the extra time on each end. It's more deliberate than that.
Back when I commuted, most of the people asking me about it were other people who worked in the same area under the same conditions. As in, pretty much every one had parking assigned somewhere, and you knew to add your own walk time, so when asked about your commute, you gave just the drive time, because that was the relevant figure people wanted to know.

My bank rented parking at a garage a 5 minute walk away. The bank across the street rented parking at a closer lot (fewer employees). City employees walked 10 minutes. No one took the free shuttle -- it would forever to get where you were going.

And our business parking lot was for customers or the big bosses.

I enjoyed the walk. Especially in the rain. I had a hooded rain coat, and had spare shoes and socks at work.

Walnut Creek was prime walking area, and if we could afforded it we would have moved there.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:29 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
Can anyone post pictures of these areas? I REALLY need to figure out where I'm going to have to move to (I want to pick up Old Town Alex. and move it somewhere more affordable - Moving back to PA would put me closer to Mom, but not too close - however, I LOVE Virginia......

Old 12-16-2014, 01:16 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,045,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Can anyone post pictures of these areas? I REALLY need to figure out where I'm going to have to move to (I want to pick up Old Town Alex. and move it somewhere more affordable - Moving back to PA would put me closer to Mom, but not too close - however, I LOVE Virginia......
If you like Old Town Alexandria, you'll not really find any areas with a similar feel outside of Pittsburgh proper. Indeed, I'd say the Mexican War Streets have the closest feel to Old Town, although with less greenery. Not cheap for Pittsburgh, but well less than half the price of Old Town.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:51 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,901,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
You won't find row houses, but you will find nice places to eat and shop in Shadyside (15232, 15206), Squirrel Hill (15217), parts of East Liberty (15206), and Highland Park (15206), plus the part of Oakland (15213) that adjoins Shadyside. For what you'll sell your place in Old Town for, you should be able to get quite a nice house in Pgh, and some change. I'd probably look in Highland Park first, knowing that you'll have to drive to practically everything, but I imagine you drive a lot of places in VA.

Last edited by jay5835; 12-16-2014 at 02:12 PM..

Old 12-16-2014, 02:09 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,922,453 times
I drove through Beaver (HEHE) fully for the first time in my life today. All I have to say is WOW. What a PHENOMENAL small town. It has everything you would expect for a small town (lively/busy main street, great housing stock, public library, etc). Definitely one I'm going to have to start recommending for small town/urban living that's still affordable.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:14 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
I drove through Beaver (HEHE) fully for the first time in my life today. All I have to say is WOW. What a PHENOMENAL small town. It has everything you would expect for a small town (lively/busy main street, great housing stock, public library, etc). Definitely one I'm going to have to start recommending for small town/urban living that's still affordable.
Beaver is very nice. Lots of nice little shops and eateries.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:25 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,922,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Beaver is very nice. Lots of nice little shops and eateries.
I'd always heard and when I drove though, I was pleasantly surprised everyone on here wasn't exaggerating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh