Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 02:19 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Not anymore. Any guy who is not "gangsta", is now labeled as a lame. Makes me so glad that I was a young man of the 80's, instead of now.
I have two teenage children. Both do very well in school and sports and are not considered lame. Same for my neices and nephews. They stand upright and are good looking with a sense of style. They are popular and well known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 03:05 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,538 times
I live close to Century III and I quit going on the weekends because my fiance and I went outside for a smoke and a gang of 5 blacks pushed a white kid out into the street and he almost got hit by a car. They all ran.

I know some busses still go there, but not like they used to. I knew someone from Bethel Park and she said she quit going to Century III because of the thugs. They did become a major problem at Century III.

I'm sure the Waterfront did hurt the business, but I think the thug situation hurt it more. I could be wrong. I do know that the Waterfront is much more attractive to the younger generation. I've also seen thugs at the Waterfront. I guess there's just no getting away from them

If I go there now, I'll go during the day.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:31 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I heard "Neds" is the new term.
Has that term really made it over here? I thought it was exclusively a Scottish term.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:34 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Has that term really made it over here? I thought it was exclusively a Scottish term.
Yes, but I like it and I'm trying to make it catch on.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:13 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,612,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Unfortunately, when you have troublemakers out there, who will come to your events, and cause mayhem, it puts you in a tough spot. I mean, are the non troublemakers supposed to stay in the house and never have any fun?

I'm like Pipkins, I went to hundreds of parties, and dances when I was in college, and I can remember one fist fight, which involved two non students. You just didn't have the number of thugs running around then, that you do today, and few of those that were out there were carrying guns. The drug game, along with the irresponsibility present in much of the genre of "rap music", has resulted in an explosion of wreckless behavior among certain black youths, that shows when things like this happen. Reminds me of "Freaknik", which was originally a gathering of college kids, but which was soon taken over by thugs and gangsters to the point where the black leadership in Atlanta put an end to it.
During the 90's this type of thing happened all the time at college parties. It would be Greek week or some such thing, people would invite their buddies from back home... shoots fired!

The problem here is WingHart's neglected to notify the police or the mall that they were going to be hosting 500 people. A proper police presence would have alleviated much. I know Penn State and WVU dispatch hundreds of officers during big games and the various festivals... Flaming couches thrown from the 10th floor are just as dangerous.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:21 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Yes, but I like it and I'm trying to make it catch on.
I don't think we have actual "neds" here in the US.

Peter Mullin's Festival Winning NEDS gets a Trailer - The People's Movies

Old 06-17-2015, 06:40 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun221 View Post
Monroeville Mall is a perfectly fine place to shop. 99.99%+ of the time it's no different than any other low-vacancy shopping mall. Lived nearby and shopped there for three years with no problems whatsoever.
I stopped in there last week, and found it to be orderly, and with few vacant stores and no unruly teenagers. There were more black kids out there, but they were all dressed and acting like any other middle class type teenagers. No "gangsta" types of any race being troublesome with the adults.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:54 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I stopped in there last week, and found it to be orderly, and with few vacant stores and no unruly teenagers. There were more black kids out there, but they were all dressed and acting like any other middle class type teenagers. No "gangsta" types of any race being troublesome with the adults.
The East End and Eastern suburbs have the highest concentration of middle class black teens in the metro. Most white people in the east end and the inner ring eastern suburbs can look at a black child and tell the difference. If these same middle class acting black teenagers went to South Hills Village Mall, the treatment of the children would be different. People of all races that are not exposed black children cannot tell the difference even when it is obvious.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:55 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,612,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
The East End and Eastern suburbs have the highest concentration of middle class black teens in the metro. Most white people in the east end and the inner ring eastern suburbs can look at a black child and tell the difference. If these same middle class acting black teenagers went to South Hills Village Mall, the treatment of the children would be different. People of all races that are not exposed black children cannot tell the difference even when it is obvious.
That is the one huge problems with Pittsburgh's lack of diversity. In more diverse metros (Philly for example) everyone hates thugs, but with such a large black middle class and upper class most people can tell the difference. That black 20 year old could be an Ivy League student and that black 30 year old could be your next boss... It's not like that in Pittsburgh.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:16 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
That is the one huge problems with Pittsburgh's lack of diversity. In more diverse metros (Philly for example) everyone hates thugs, but with such a large black middle class and upper class most people can tell the difference. That black 20 year old could be an Ivy League student and that black 30 year old could be your next boss... It's not like that in Pittsburgh.
Please its no different in Philly, or NYC, or Boston, or Baltimore, or Chicago, the Sh*ts everywhere. I know I've lived it, and I'm far from some Ghetto Black Thug. Blacks have the same story in every city, some more than others.

People kill throwing around the term "Diversity" like that automatic phase for "Socially accepting", some of the most "Diverse" cities are also some of the most Racist and the most Segregated. NYC, Philly, and Chicago being in the top 5.

I've said this before and I'll keep saying it... Pittsburgh's AAs are far more integrated with Whites, then any of the more larger, "More Diverse", constantly Cheerleaded cities in the North. Even DC where there's a large well to do Black Middle Class, they still don't integrate with whites well, it's Whites on this side of town, blacks on that side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh