Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 04:14 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,414,136 times

Advertisements

They pay increased taxes over there but the tradeoff is things like that or free university tuition.

Yes, it would be fantastic if the T ran to Oakland, East End, and the eastern suburbs but it will never happen because the region can't/won't support the tax increase required to implement that. And the feds and state have enough budget issues that help from them is never coming.

Maybe decades ago it could have happened along with maybe an actual highway belt system but the time has come and gone and we are left with the antiquated driving and transit crapshow we have now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 07:09 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
It is like another world. Such a different culture. I do believe the old saying though. If you build it they will come. I noticed some spoke of how dangerous cycling is. That can indeed be true depending on where you live and where you need to get to, but my point of the thread was building infrastructure. Younger people are not going to be living the same lives as those of us in our 40's and 50's, they will have more debt and living with much less. Sure some will have a job that can pay their debt from education service, but many won't be getting paid enough. Therefore, they will be trying to save money somewhere. One way is not owning a car, which is a pretty big savings.

I realize no US city would progress like that video in my lifetime, but I only asked for .001%. I don't think I am asking for all that much. lol I sure is nice to see so many fit people. Being someone that has spent considerable time in a Nordic country, they are way ahead of us in infrastructure.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:14 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Why do people here hate taxes so much? I'll never understand. If I'm only going to live once I'd rather the government take twice or even thrice as much money from me as they currently take in order for me to live a much more enjoyable life via much improved infrastructure and social services.

Instead we have crumbling bridges; box-blocking old buses belching diesel exhaust into the atmosphere instead of cleaner trains with dedicated right-of-way; roads that are very unpleasant for cyclists and pedestrians (looking at you, Bigelow Boulevard in Polish Hill!); man-eating potholes; collapsing catch basins; an outdated sewage system that pumps poop into the rivers when it rains too hard; no way for people with physical disabilities to safely cross many intersections (looking at you, Bloomfield Bridge @ Bigelow Boulevard in Polish Hill!); etc. This city is just falling apart all around us, and judging by the socially regressive things I read in the commentary to many Post-Gazette; Tribune-Review; and KDKA/WPXI/WTAE articles via Facebook nobody here wants to PAY to FIX any of it, either.

Everyone wants something for nothing. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Either accept this city as it currently is with its 8,000,000 flaws and warts or pony up NOW to make it a place you could be proud to leave your children in the FUTURE!

Old 06-05-2015, 07:20 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,946,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Why do people here hate taxes so much? I'll never understand. If I'm only going to live once I'd rather the government take twice or even thrice as much money from me as they currently take in order for me to live a much more enjoyable life via much improved infrastructure and social services.

Instead we have crumbling bridges; box-blocking old buses belching diesel exhaust into the atmosphere instead of cleaner trains with dedicated right-of-way; roads that are very unpleasant for cyclists and pedestrians (looking at you, Bigelow Boulevard in Polish Hill!); man-eating potholes; collapsing catch basins; an outdated sewage system that pumps poop into the rivers when it rains too hard; no way for people with physical disabilities to safely cross many intersections (looking at you, Bloomfield Bridge @ Bigelow Boulevard in Polish Hill!); etc. This city is just falling apart all around us, and judging by the socially regressive things I read in the commentary to many Post-Gazette; Tribune-Review; and KDKA/WPXI/WTAE articles via Facebook nobody here wants to PAY to FIX any of it, either.

Everyone wants something for nothing. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Either accept this city as it currently is with its 8,000,000 flaws and warts or pony up NOW to make it a place you could be proud to leave your children in the FUTURE!
So when you pay "thrice" as much in taxes, will you complain more about not being able to afford housing in the city? I understand what you mean about the infrastructure, and wish too that people were willing to shoulder a heavier burden... but it seems disingenuous of you to claim you don't understand why people hate taxes, and yet at the same time you are so vocal about being priced out of the East End.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:30 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Quote:
Why do people here hate taxes so much?
There is too much waste in all our government paid positions around here. You give them an inch and they take a yard. We are still paying for the "temporary" Johnstown Flood Tax. Why? Look at the school districts around here. The unions have gotten pay so high that it is wildly out of control. Over $100K in my district is happening. We love to pay our teachers well, but we can't think beyond a few years when it comes to budgeting. What about legacy costs? Oops! Now we are paying the huge real estate tax bills and kids will be getting less and less for that money because we promised the world to the current generation of teachers. There needs to be a balance! Look at the fees on the Turnpike now. Look at the road conditions in Pittsburgh. We have gambling in our city now. Where did that money go?

I think the reason people want less tax is because they don't feel they get anything in return. Too much waste. We need more privatization when it comes to roadwork for example. Get rid of PennDot crews and just have a governing body direction companies that are bidding on the work. We need less shovel leaning and more working being done.

Anyway, nothing is going to change that much. Wolf is going to raise the state sales tax. It is going to be great when you buy your next car and pay $1000's on the purchase. He says it would lower real estate taxes. It might briefly, but real estate taxes will go back to the level they were. Ah well, it is just so expensive in our region. Look at how much cheaper Florida is. No state tax and only a 6% tax on goods. What is PA doing wrong? Plenty.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:31 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
So when you pay "thrice" as much in taxes, will you complain more about not being able to afford housing in the city? I understand what you mean about the infrastructure, and wish too that people were willing to shoulder a heavier burden... but it seems disingenuous of you to claim you don't understand why people hate taxes, and yet at the same time you are so vocal about being priced out of the East End.
If I'm priced out of the East End then so be it. We'll bring our feathered boas; '80s dance moves in our underwear; and affinity of Starbucks frappuccino beverages to Esplen or Beltzhoover instead. The only thing I prize about the East End anymore is commuting convenience for my partner (North Shore) and me (Squirrel Hill). Otherwise we no longer feel "middle-class" here and feel "lower-class".

This city's infrastructure is a complete joke and is holding it back. I've heard many newcomers complain about the lack of trains; the potholes; the surface street congestion; the lack of cycling infrastructure; the crumbling bridges; etc. How can this city ever realize its fullest first-world potential with a second-world infrastructural system?

The reason why the Scandinavian countries always rank so highly in everything is because their much higher rates of taxation permit their governments to better provide for them. Here in 'Murica everyone thinks we're all better off having more money in our own pockets rather than in Uncle Sam's pocket, and that has resulted in our country falling apart all around us. This country needs to change.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
If I'm priced out of the East End then so be it. We'll bring our feathered boas; '80s dance moves in our underwear; and affinity of Starbucks frappuccino beverages to Esplen or Beltzhoover instead. The only thing I prize about the East End anymore is commuting convenience for my partner (North Shore) and me (Squirrel Hill). Otherwise we no longer feel "middle-class" here and feel "lower-class".

This city's infrastructure is a complete joke and is holding it back. I've heard many newcomers complain about the lack of trains; the potholes; the surface street congestion; the lack of cycling infrastructure; the crumbling bridges; etc. How can this city ever realize its fullest first-world potential with a second-world infrastructural system?

The reason why the Scandinavian countries always rank so highly in everything is because their much higher rates of taxation permit their governments to better provide for them. Here in 'Murica everyone thinks we're all better off having more money in our own pockets rather than in Uncle Sam's pocket, and that has resulted in our country falling apart all around us. This country needs to change.
Like I said, I'm largely sympathetic to your views... but all of this is going to be a long process. It's going to take some folks longer than others to see the glaring need for infrastructure improvements. Hopefully the increased costs of housing will also result in a windfall of new property tax revenues to spend on these improvements. It's going to be very painful for you to watch if you don't develop a degree of patience.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:43 AM

994 posts, read 901,454 times
If people spent half they do time they do complaining about taxes, and used that time to actually help improve government efficiency, we could probably have a lot more bang for our buck.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
There is too much waste in all our government paid positions around here. You give them an inch and they take a yard. We are still paying for the "temporary" Johnstown Flood Tax. Why? Look at the school districts around here. The unions have gotten pay so high that it is wildly out of control. Over $100K in my district is happening. We love to pay our teachers well, but we can't think beyond a few years when it comes to budgeting. What about legacy costs? Oops! Now we are paying the huge real estate tax bills and kids will be getting less and less for that money because we promised the world to the current generation of teachers. There needs to be a balance! Look at the fees on the Turnpike now. Look at the road conditions in Pittsburgh. We have gambling in our city now. Where did that money go?

I think the reason people want less tax is because they don't feel they get anything in return. Too much waste. We need more privatization when it comes to roadwork for example. Get rid of PennDot crews and just have a governing body direction companies that are bidding on the work. We need less shovel leaning and more working being done.

Anyway, nothing is going to change that much. Wolf is going to raise the state sales tax. It is going to be great when you buy your next car and pay $1000's on the purchase. He says it would lower real estate taxes. It might briefly, but real estate taxes will go back to the level they were. Ah well, it is just so expensive in our region. Look at how much cheaper Florida is. No state tax and only a 6% tax on goods. What is PA doing wrong? Plenty.
I think it's important to add that the teachers in the particular district where you live are paid significantly more than the average teacher in SW PA. This is likely due to the fact that you have one of the highest concentrations of wealth where you live. You cannot generalize your personal experience across this area... it just does not fit.

Florida schools are notoriously bad, by the way...

Old 06-05-2015, 07:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Amazing video but alas wont work on such a scale here in the USA as most people are addicted to the convenience of their cars or live at such a distance from their work that bicycling to work from suburbia is out of the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh