Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 10:53 AM

346 posts, read 537,341 times

Advertisements

Yinzer are you a man?

Ive shopped at Macy's recently and I dont' know how you couldin't find a pair of pants... they are like endless racks of business attire and dress pants..

Also there is a card store on the same level as the arcade bakery...

Unless they already started liquidating I feel like you didn't look... (at all? )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 10:54 AM

697 posts, read 778,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm literally near tears right now. I LOVED heading to this store to do ~50% of my Christmas shopping each year. The associates at this store have always been so kind, conscientious, and helpful. Every December I looked forward to one weeknight where I'd walk Downtown from Polish Hill to Christmas shop there while gawking at the displays both in the store windows and at places nearby.

Probably will end up being more yuppie $2,000/month 1-BR apartments for people who don't care that they'll have to drive to the suburbs to shop. I don't know where I'm going to shop now since I don't like shopping at the Waterfront or Ross Park Mall areas out of loyalty to wanting to keep dollars IN the city.
We have friends who live downtown. They purchased an apartment there because they want to be as carless as possible. I don't think most people who choose to live downtown would want to drive to the burbs for shopping. My friends goes to Macy's for a lot of shopping for gifts, kids clothing, etc. They have one car for two adults because that's a benefit of living downtown - you can walk or take public transport places. So I imagine that this is a big loss for downtown residents.

Isn't Waterworks considered City of Pittsburgh? I know it's near Blawnox, Aspinwall, Fox Chapel, but I thought there was some deal made when it was developed.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:59 AM

814 posts, read 1,150,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Their Pentagon City store was legendarily awful.
Oh God, my girlfriend was falsely accused of trying to steal from the Pentagon City Macy's...we were about 98% sure it was because she's hispanic.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:04 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
We have friends who live downtown. They purchased an apartment there because they want to be as carless as possible. I don't think most people who choose to live downtown would want to drive to the burbs for shopping. My friends goes to Macy's for a lot of shopping for gifts, kids clothing, etc. They have one car for two adults because that's a benefit of living downtown - you can walk or take public transport places. So I imagine that this is a big loss for downtown residents.

Isn't Waterworks considered City of Pittsburgh? I know it's near Blawnox, Aspinwall, Fox Chapel, but I thought there was some deal made when it was developed.
Yes, Waterworks is considered the City of Pittsburgh is actually apart of Lincoln-Lemington. So is St Margaret Hosp. The City of Pittsburgh goes from Delafield Road on the South end to Fox Chapel Road on the North. The River on the East, and 28 to the West.

This is why the Neighborhoods are far more attractive to me than living Downtown... Neighborhoods have more appealing amenities. Give me the East End over Downtown any day of the week. In order for me to pay what the rents are for living Downtown, I need/want everything, and the lack of any meaningful retail is a deal breaker.

Doesn't need to be extremely high-end retail, but I shouldn't need to go to the Burbs or Neighborhoods for anything... Downtown needs to have everything, so much so that one doesn't need to leave Downtown unless they simply wanted to.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:07 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn14 View Post
Yinzer are you a man?

Ive shopped at Macy's recently and I dont' know how you couldin't find a pair of pants... they are like endless racks of business attire and dress pants..

Also there is a card store on the same level as the arcade bakery...

Unless they already started liquidating I feel like you didn't look... (at all? )

There are pants there, but the selection was horrible. I was looking for more business casual, than suits and suit separates.

I was in the card store, and again the selection was horrible.

Maybe my tastes just don't match with what Macy's sells, and that is why I find it so difficult to shop there, but lately that store has had a disorganized and somewhat forgotten about feeling to it.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:09 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Yes, Waterworks is considered the City of Pittsburgh is actually apart of Lincoln-Lemington. So is St Margaret Hosp. The City of Pittsburgh goes from Delafield Road on the South end to Fox Chapel Road on the North. The River on the East, and 28 to the West.

This is why the Neighborhoods are far more attractive to me than living Downtown... Neighborhoods have more appealing amenities. Give me the East End over Downtown any day of the week. In order for me to pay what the rents are for living Downtown, I need/want everything, and the lack of any meaningful retail is a deal breaker.

Doesn't need to be extremely high-end retail, but I shouldn't need to go to the Burbs or Neighborhoods for anything... Downtown needs to have everything, so much so that one doesn't need to leave Downtown unless they simply wanted to.
Are there dry cleaners downtown? If so where? I would love to drop something off on my way to work and pick it up at the end of the day.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:11 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Are there dry cleaners downtown? If so where? I would love to drop something off on my way to work and pick it up at the end of the day.
Is that dry cleaners on Forbes just past Market Square still there?

Old 07-13-2015, 11:11 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I think it has more to do with the six-story department store being a relic of a bygone era. Macy's still operates big center-city department stores in NY, Chicago and Philly.
San Francisco too. It's on Union Square along with Saks, Neiman Marcus, the Hotel St. Francis, the Powell St. cable cars, and other high end retail. It's a destination for tourists and locals alike. I don't think traditional downtown department stores can survive unless they're in a similar situation with enormous foot traffic. Brick and mortar shopping of all kinds is undergoing massive changes with the advent of online shopping. However, clothes and shoes will always be something that people want to touch and try on so actual stores will be around for awhile as far as I can tell. OTOH, generous return policies and free shipping are chipping away at the need to go to the store to try things on.

Last edited by Goodjules; 07-13-2015 at 11:24 AM..

Old 07-13-2015, 11:20 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
The department store is dead, lets fact it. That doesn't mean retail Downtown needs to be dead.

Needs to be more boutiques, and specialty stores. I wouldn't mind seeing TJMAXX, Marshalls to complement Burlington.

Maybe a JCrew, H&M, Aeropostale, Abercrombie something for the Younginz.

Could Downtown support an Apple Store without killing the Shadyside one?

There really needs to be some type of GE downtown, be-it a Traditional, MD, Express whatever get some type of full service grocer down there.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:23 AM

618 posts, read 692,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Is that dry cleaners on Forbes just past Market Square still there?
Yes, I went there for a year and can recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh