Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 06:17 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Hereford Manor Lake is no more.

It is sad to see the hills flattened in order to build ugly shopping centers.
Hereford Manor lakes were awesome and are certainly missed by many of us. The dam needed work and there was supposedly no $2-3m to fix it. Call the state if you have a problem on that dealio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 06:20 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonMan View Post
So the area is basically being returned to it's more natural state it was before humans constructed a big, concrete dam?
How many times was fracking mentioned in the article?

Old 08-02-2015, 07:09 PM

191 posts, read 213,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
It's not just a matter of buying the land. The land where this dam was located was owned by the state. The problem with mining and fracking is that it impacts the surrounding properties. Soil shifting and mini earth quakes are a major concern. It is a question of lax regulation and allowing the energy companies to get away with slaps on the wrist. I think a company that destroys a state park and inhibits the use and enjoyment for future generations should be subject to major jail time, not making restitution by putting in some walking paths and a chlorinated pool.
May I ask you what experience or education you may have that would provide you with moral authority to blame fracture treatment for oil and gas for the loss of a dam due, according to the article you cited, only to long-wall mining?

Are you a geologist or a lawyer or an engineer trained in oil and gas exploration and productions issues? Do you have years of experience on a fracture treating crew, or on an oil/gas drilling rig?

Do you have the slightest inkling as to how careful coal companies or oil & gas companies are NOT to conduct operations on lands where they don't have a legal right, either ownership or leasehold right to operate?

What make you so certain that "fracking" is part of the cause for this dam's failure, when even the article you cite makes no mention of it?

To be fair let me provide my bona fides. I am trained as a Petroleum Engineer. For the last 32 years I have served as a Federal oil & gas regulator on Indian lands in Oklahoma Prior to that I worked in the public sector, and since about 1978 I have designed, conducted witnessed and/or permitted over 8500 fracture treatments.

As far as long-wall mining goes I have just layman's knowledge of the process and its risks and rewards.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:15 PM

82 posts, read 141,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I'm not sure why you are asking me, but I'll play along. How many?

Old 08-02-2015, 07:25 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
What does Cranberry have to do whatsoever with the topic at hand (Ryerson Station State Park), when they're on completely opposite sides of the metro region??

Old 08-02-2015, 07:28 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
What does Cranberry have to do whatsoever with the topic at hand (Ryerson Station State Park), when they're on completely opposite sides of the metro region??
Zilch, zero, nada, etc..., unless you count disdain for da burbs.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:29 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Not only that, but Cranberry is mostly offices, retail and residential. Nothing much in mining or extraction industries.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:38 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonMan View Post
I'm not sure why you are asking me, but I'll play along. How many?
Not one, why pick this article to make a point about the dangers of tracking?

Old 08-02-2015, 07:44 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times
Quote:

When you want to get all excited about such things, "Fracking" is much more of a buzzword than "long-wall mining." Mine subsidence is soo 20th Century...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987
Visitation to the park has plummeted by over 75%.

Quote:

Attendance has dropped by one-fourth from its pre-2005 annual figure of
265,000, park officials previously said.
(emphasis mine.)

Well, math was never my strong suit, but I'm having trouble reconciling those two statements...

Old 08-02-2015, 07:56 PM

82 posts, read 141,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Not one, why pick this article to make a point about the dangers of tracking?
I didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh