Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 11:42 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,915,481 times

Advertisements

Increasing refugees is a part of the Great Progressive's "Welcoming Pittsburgh Plan": http://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/mayorpe...ort_FINAL2.pdf (point #29)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 12:11 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,703,728 times
Uh, no thanks.

Furthermore, why do you assume they want to come to the US? If you traveled to Europe, you'd see the lure of several countries in Europe over the US. Maybe they want a life that doesn't involved staggering debt, broken education system, medical and a government run by corporations.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:14 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,908,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Uh, no thanks.

Furthermore, why do you assume they want to come to the US? If you traveled to Europe, you'd see the lure of several countries in Europe over the US. Maybe they want a life that doesn't involved staggering debt, broken education system, medical and a government run by corporations.
Yes, that's clearly why the majority of them have gone to Greece...

Old 09-04-2015, 12:22 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,822,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Your title says "Pittsburgh" and then you state, "declining steel towns". I am lost. Pittsburgh is certainly not declining.
Pittsburgh area. McKeesport area mill towns. They could also move into areas like Johnstown. There are a lot of abandoned houses that they could move into and revitalize. I don't think it is fair for Germany and Hungary to absorb all these people when it was George W Bush who invaded Iraq and Hillary Clintiin who encouraged the Arab Spring. We can tax the oil and fracking companies to help transition and get these people set up.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:22 PM

598 posts, read 751,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Because
a. I've not heard them asking to come to pittsburgh
B. They're not even claiming persecution & seeking asylum in the U.S. in general
C. Not sure how low skilled, poor immigrants being brought to an area lacking any employment opportunities would be good for anyone
D. It's a European issue
E. Not sure what George Bush has to do with Bashar Al-Assad's civil war
F. Syrians are classified as 'white' which would not appease the diversity seeking crowd that only rely on non-white statistics
You must spread some reputation around before giving it to UKyank again.

While I do feel bad for Europe that they have to deal with this mess now, I still believe that their policies (and lack of action) over the past decade or so is what made them vulnerable to this problem now. With that being said, Pittsburgh did get 5 Syrian refugees in March:

Old 09-04-2015, 01:03 PM

12,528 posts, read 17,615,083 times
I've been sleeping with a Syrian for 30 years.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:22 PM

5,652 posts, read 7,015,731 times
^^ why are they tracking migration from South Carolina's capital city?

I'm about as far away from a GWlet'sgoshppingB fan as it gets, but it ain't his fault.

Between the UK and France (with the blessing of the US), about as many mistakes to destabilize the Middle East since WWI as could be made, have been made. Iran has at least some claim to being a sovereign state. Pretty much every other country between India and the Mediterranean is just a paper creation. Then Big Oil, sponsored by the Brits and the US, rolled into Iran starting in the early 50s to destabilize the one remaining stable area to ensure things just got worse.

Blame any president you want. But this mess started well before the US got directly involved.

Personally, I'd rather have the Latino anchor babies. The region still needs to get younger :-)

Old 09-04-2015, 03:40 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,107,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
We can tax the oil and fracking companies to help transition and get these people set up.
Um, the fracking business isn't exactly doing well at all. I don't think hitting them up with more fees is going to help that industry that is laying off people left and right.

Anyway, why would they want to come to the places you mentioned? I doubt it is some great leap from where they already are. Not many people want to live in crime infested areas in the US with our gun culture. We certainly shouldn't have invaded Iraq and Iraq would have been much better off with Sadam in power, but what is done is done. Halliburton made great money on this stuff, so what can anyone do? Nothing. The people with that kind of control are way above the laws you and I follow.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:43 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,503,031 times
Maybe the other Arab countries could help out Syria, just a thought. I know the entire world likes to blame the US for everything but geez come on.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:30 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,299,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Pittsburgh area. McKeesport area mill towns. They could also move into areas like Johnstown. There are a lot of abandoned houses that they could move into and revitalize..
These are people who are looking to work wherever they go, and there are very few economic opportunities in places like McKeesport or Johnstown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh