Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 10:13 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,785,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
Amtrak from Philly to DC takes 2 hours and costs $50.
That's why I specified when driving. It's crazy how slow Amtrak is from Pgh to DC.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:17 AM

11 posts, read 11,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Wow--quite a bit of grossly exaggerated negativity about Philly, although I understand that some folks "out West" feel the need to keep a pointless rivalry going. I think some balance is definitely in order.

If you're into public transit (I am, also) Philadelphia is definitely one of the top cities in the cities in the US. SEPTA is considered one of the "Big 6" transit systems, along with MTA (New York), CTA (Chicago), WMATA (DC), MBTA (Boston), and BART (San Francisco). Especially with the infusion of transit funding from PA's Act 89, SEPTA has been very ambitious as of late on modernization in terms of station renovations, procuring brand new vehicles, and and implementing an "open fare" state-of-the-art payment system. Philly's bike share system has also been enormously ambitious and successful, and it augments the public transit very well. It's an exciting time for transit in Philly.

As to the overall city, Philly is simply much larger and has tons to offer, both in the city and environs. Yes, it is more congested and dense, but it is also supremely walkable in many areas, and has tons to offer in many different types of neighborhoods. Yes, it can get very gritty in parts, but I don't think most people realize how far the city has come in terms of revitalization, as well as becoming more diverse and cosmopolitan. Of course no city can compare to NYC, but for many folks it is an attractive alternative. It's become a far more livable city in just the past 15 years alone, and that trend will only continue.

That's not to say that it's superior to Pittsburgh, as that's always a personal judgement and silly to claim as some sort of "universal truth" (or vice versa), but you definitely should not rule it out as place to consider living, despite the knee-jerk snide stereotypes that inevitably make their way into these types of threads.

Good luck!
It's funny, I was actually thinking the same thing regarding the negativity. Really appreciate the great comment! Do you have any specific recommendations for relatively affordable neighborhoods that are near the two local city lines? Or anything perhaps around a transit center? I'm assuming you live in Philly now? Are the Market-Frankford and Broad Street lines the only actual subway lines for the city that aren't regional commuter?

Old 10-28-2015, 10:22 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,167,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanskills134 View Post
It's funny, I was actually thinking the same thing regarding the negativity. Really appreciate the great comment! Do you have any specific recommendations for relatively affordable neighborhoods that are near the two local city lines? Or anything perhaps around a transit center? I'm assuming you live in Philly now? Are the Market-Frankford and Broad Street lines the only actual subway lines for the city that aren't regional commuter?
I like Philly! I lived there for a little while and it was interesting.
Those are the only subway lines but there is a trolley system as well.
Things have changed since I lived there so I cannot give specific neighborhood recommendations, but if you live close-in you can definitely get by without a car (if you choose).
You would probably get more helpful feedback on the Philly forum.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
I like Philly! I lived there for a little while and it was interesting.
Those are the only subway lines but there is a trolley system as well.
Things have changed since I lived there so I cannot give specific neighborhood recommendations, but if you live close-in you can definitely get by without a car (if you choose).
You would probably get more helpful feedback on the Philly forum.
Lol, I probably should have thought of that, should I just repost this whole thing in the Philly forum section?

Old 10-28-2015, 10:34 AM

7,295 posts, read 10,640,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanskills134 View Post
No problem! I grew up in the Philly area, but have since moved away.

Yes, the M-F and BS lines are technically the only actual subway lines in the city--they basically serve as the spine and arms of the city. However, there is also a trolley/light system in West Philly that is underground for a portion of its length. I believe it's similar to Pittsburgh in that sense.

As for where to look at affordable neighborhoods to access transit, I'd consider areas like Fishtown or Passayunk/Newbold. Both areas would allow you to utilize the subway system.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:46 AM

175 posts, read 168,785 times
Is this a move for future job prospects or just a random life decision to change things up a bit?

Because as far as being interested in sustainable urban design, Philly is likely to have far more options for you. One aspect I am familiar with is their grandiose plan for green infrastructure for stormwater management. Unlike Pittsburgh which is still formulating its plan to deal with the EPA consent decree regarding combined sewer overflows, Philly is leading the charge in the adoption of this proven design. Where green infrastructure doesn't even get much attention from our Progressive mayor, in Philly it's already becoming standard practice.

PNC and Phipp's get a lot of attention for their efforts, but in reality they are single fish in a big ocean. There has been some talk of great stormwater management for Almono and the Allegheny Riverfront, and some very early steps have been taken toward the restoration of Panther Hollow Lake and urban streams such as Four and Nine Mile Runs, Girty's Run and Heth's Run, with some preliminary plans announced to address Chartiers Creek and Saw Mill Run. There is still a LOT of work to be done. Let us not forget that all of the acid mine drainage and agricultural runoff from the suburban/rural hillsides eventually drains to the rivers as well.

If sustainable building is your thing, it's really a toss up here. No idea what Philly is doing, but aside from organizations like I mentioned above, the sustainable aspect of a new building is very rarely mentioned. Sure they like to add bike racks to the design to woo in the younger crowd, but LEED gold or platinum status? I would love if someone could provide a few other examples because I honestly don't think they exist here.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT2MAD View Post
Is this a move for future job prospects or just a random life decision to change things up a bit?

Because as far as being interested in sustainable urban design, Philly is likely to have far more options for you. One aspect I am familiar with is their grandiose plan for green infrastructure for stormwater management. Unlike Pittsburgh which is still formulating its plan to deal with the EPA consent decree regarding combined sewer overflows, Philly is leading the charge in the adoption of this proven design. Where green infrastructure doesn't even get much attention from our Progressive mayor, in Philly it's already becoming standard practice.

PNC and Phipp's get a lot of attention for their efforts, but in reality they are single fish in a big ocean. There has been some talk of great stormwater management for Almono and the Allegheny Riverfront, and some very early steps have been taken toward the restoration of Panther Hollow Lake and urban streams such as Four and Nine Mile Runs, Girty's Run and Heth's Run, with some preliminary plans announced to address Chartiers Creek and Saw Mill Run. There is still a LOT of work to be done. Let us not forget that all of the acid mine drainage and agricultural runoff from the suburban/rural hillsides eventually drains to the rivers as well.

If sustainable building is your thing, it's really a toss up here. No idea what Philly is doing, but aside from organizations like I mentioned above, the sustainable aspect of a new building is very rarely mentioned. Sure they like to add bike racks to the design to woo in the younger crowd, but LEED gold or platinum status? I would love if someone could provide a few other examples because I honestly don't think they exist here.
Glad to hear this side of things, I always knew Philly would have many more things directly involved with sustainability in an Urban Fashion. This move is a ransom decision to change things up, although I do believe it could improve my career options once my undergrad is complete, which isn't for a couple more years.

Last edited by Jordanskills134; 10-28-2015 at 11:14 AM..

Old 10-28-2015, 10:53 AM

To add to my previous post, one promising article from a few years back planned to use 21st street in the Southside as Pittsburgh's model street for a green infrastructure demonstration. How many EPA deadlines passed and revisions to our multi-billion dollar plan and Pittsburgh still lacks a demonstration project as a proof-of-concept? All I have heard on this subject for the past 5 years has been TALK. Mt Lebanon instituted a runoff fee, there's a small section of sidewalk in The Run, there's a new meadow in Schenley Park, a handful of people now have rain barrels, and there's a small demonstration project in Larimer. Funding got cut for stormwater improvements in the recent Route 50 project through Heidelberg and we now have gates and lights on Washington Boulevard. I hope you all enjoy seeing your rates skyrocket over the next few years for this, most of your money will go to "grey" infrastructure (more tubes, pipes) that will likely be at or over capacity the day they are built.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:22 PM

110 posts, read 148,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT2MAD View Post

Philly will always be the bread and butter for PA. Everybody else is far down on the list. Philly metro could be its own state.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Velcoro View Post
Philly will always be the bread and butter for PA. Everybody else is far down on the list. Philly metro could be its own state.
Philly is also one of the biggest metros in the whole US, so it's not always fair to compare face to face. While there are more opportunities in Philly, there's also more of a chance a "nobody" with a good idea will be heard in Pittsburgh.

Also, I would argue Pittsburgh to Philly is more like the Cleveland/Cincinnati to Columbus or the Charleston to Columbia (SC)...rather than a Buffalo to NYC or Cumberland/Baltimore comparison. Yes we are second tier, but one would be hard pressed to find experiences in Phily that can't be found in Pittsburgh. While MD, NY, and others have a clear disparity between what the "bread and butter" can provide compared to the second tier, PA is one of the states that where I don't feel the same divide. Maybe it's just perspective but I've never felt like I was missing out on much by growing up in Pittsburgh vis-à-vis Philadelphia...it's a little harder to get to NYC/Baltimore/DC but I just feel like I appreciate my visits to those places so much more than I otherwise would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh