Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 08:29 AM

29 posts, read 26,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
The U-Haul on Liberty Avenue in the Strip District maintains a list of people who will do the driving and moving for you.

U-Haul: Moving Truck Rental in Pittsburgh, PA at U-Haul Moving & Storage of Pittsburgh
Thanks I'll check this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Are you licensed? They have vans and pick ups that still can hold a lot of stuff but aren't as intimidating to drive as a big box truck. They aren't as big and you can see out the back and sides.
Yes I am licensed, but I don't want the responsibility of driving and possibly breaking anything. lol I prefer someone else to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Two guys and a truck is a franchise, they are a top priced mover. Call a local mover you will pay alot less for their overhead. I always recommend James moving but there are alot of others out there.
I'll check out James Moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
400 seems reasonable to me to hire a company to come drive a big truck, pay for overhead, gas, labor, insurance, etc. How much less could it really be?
Yeah I know, but I was just hoping it would be half of that... maybe $200 or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 01:58 PM

385 posts, read 311,082 times
You aren't going to get people to move an apartment for you and drive your stuff to a new place for $200. $500 is a pretty reasonable minimum for a 1br apartment.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPizzaHutFan View Post
You aren't going to get people to move an apartment for you and drive your stuff to a new place for $200. $500 is a pretty reasonable minimum for a 1br apartment.
Never knew that, I'm young and never did this before lol. It is only a studio so it's not much, and it's only a 4 mile distance.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:36 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,427,098 times
Movers base their bid on time, they usually have a 3 hour minimum. On a small job the only way to save is find a company with a cheaper labor rate. You also have to look at their reputation, a company like don farr or hindman has been known to bid jobs at cost or lower then jack up the price with extras. Once the furniture is on the truck you are powerless. A good company will want to keep you happy, they want you and your family customers for life. You also will want to avoid some of the companies on Craigslist, most are not registered with the puc. If you are not registered with the puc you can't purchased insurance, your items will not be protected. Most also don't have workman's comp. If a worker is injured while doing your job you can be sued.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:57 AM

385 posts, read 311,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghCity View Post
Never knew that, I'm young and never did this before lol. It is only a studio so it's not much, and it's only a 4 mile distance.
The distance isn't the issue; the effort to gather your crap is.

My wife and I both had efficiency apartments and grouped them together to live in a single 1br. It cost us about $150 for the truck alone, and we drived and packed.

When we moved up from that 1br to a 3br house and decided on hiring movers (no more people, just us with more room), we paid $560.

Moving that 3br house to another 3br house cost us over $800 (we'd filled the space out).

The majority of the cost isn't the distance, it's hiring people to carry your stuff. If moving boxes from your attic to the truck and back to your new attic were cheap, you'd do it yourself.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:45 AM

I got a quote from James Moving. It would be a $600 minimum. Crazy! lol

Old 11-02-2015, 08:21 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,427,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghCity View Post
I got a quote from James Moving. It would be a $600 minimum. Crazy! lol
I guess it depends on what their minimum is. They are showing up with a $200,000 truck and equipment their insurance bill is probably $5,000 a month, plus their workers have been with them forever so they pay a good wage to the employees. $600 is not crazy. I know you can get bids cheaper, but you have to watch the final costs.

I recommend James as much as I can, my dad owned an over the road moving company, when we moved he hired them. They are just a well run family owned company.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:48 AM

Yeah. I am liking the U-Haul option more and more now. I just have to find a few friends willing to help.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:00 AM

130 posts, read 200,223 times
When I was in college and helped some friends move short to medium distances we would borrow a truck & utility trailer from a family member. This is how I moved from my parents house to my first apartment.

Moving from my first apartment to second Apt (about 10 miles) apart I spend the $80 and got a U-Haul truck to do it on one trip and save everyone some time.

Moving from Ohio to Pittsburgh with my future wife in our 1 bedroom + garage apartment I did two men and a truck and it cost me $1200.

This was all between 2000 and 2008.

$400 for a truck, driver, and movers does not seem unreasonable.

For me moving is one of the top most stressful ordeals of adult life and would gladly pay a bit of a premium to have someone else do a good bit of the work.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:37 AM

387 posts, read 474,780 times
I've used James 3 times. I too recommend them.

Not sure why your quote is so high for a studio apt move so close. a studio is the same as an efficiency right? Or do you mean big studio?
They usually quote by how many rooms & the amount of time, 2-3 men, I believe they have a 3.5hr minimum charge. They'll usually ask about large items-appliances etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: