Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 08:21 PM

14,357 posts, read 17,117,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Technically, the refugees came into Austria from Eastern Europe too.

C'mon.
It's obvious who bought the weapons, but it does appear they originated in Eastern Europe. I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:23 PM

618 posts, read 694,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Can someone explain to me what we would consider a win in this situation? It’s a war with no end, but what result would make people happy? Never another attack? Well that isn’t going to happen. I believe the only way that we can even attempt to win in the war against terrorism is to not change who we are and what we believe in. Again, they want us to react this ways. Terrorism is all about reactions, and sadly our reactions at this point are trending towards the ones that they wanted us to give. Granted they are natural reactions, but in troubled times like these it takes more courage to stand up for what you know is right, than to simply allow ones values and beliefs to collapse in on themselves, and in the end let the terrorist claim the win.
I wish I could rep you for this. Couldn't put it better.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:29 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,905,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
You live in a world of absolutes, not reality. The reality is complicated and messy and defies the sort of simplistic analysis you offer. Yes, I have lived in neighborhoods both with refugees and long time immigrants like yourself. Both in Europe and here in the States. Simply claiming knowledge doesn't erase a knee jerk reactionary post history. Nothing you've posted demonstrates anything resembling knowledge or insight on the matter.
An absolute would be saying that those immigrants are terrorists. I don't believe they all are & believe it's a very small chance that one would show up here but it's also not a chance I'm willing to take when it's not necessary to either especially after evidence of that very thing occurring in Paris.

My time in the refugee neighborhood wasn't bad because they were terrorists it's was more that it was the most sexist, homophobic & racist group of people I've ever had the pleasure of being neighbors with & that's when they weren't busy fighting with the other Muslim sect that lived in a congregation nearby. The last time (last March) I was there I found a lovely march chanting 'bomb bomb UK, bomb bomb USA); which I was told occurs every Saturday afternoon.
I don't hate refugees but some have values that are completely foreign to (most of) us in a very bad way.

Last edited by UKyank; 11-16-2015 at 09:08 PM..

Old 11-16-2015, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 854 times
We have an extra room in our house. Is there any information on how we, as Pittsburghers, can help? I would be willing to take in a couple or small family of refugees to help.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:41 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,953,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Can someone explain to me what we would consider a win in this situation? It’s a war with no end, but what result would make people happy? Never another attack? Well that isn’t going to happen. I believe the only way that we can even attempt to win in the war against terrorism is to not change who we are and what we believe in. Again, they want us to react this ways. Terrorism is all about reactions, and sadly our reactions at this point are trending towards the ones that they wanted us to give. Granted they are natural reactions, but in troubled times like these it takes more courage to stand up for what you know is right, than to simply allow ones values and beliefs to collapse in on themselves, and in the end let the terrorist claim the win.
Well said. But you'd catch more flies with honey. You didn't mention the freedom to have the biggest gun... or the freedom to not pay taxes. Those are the trending concerns.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:41 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,571,081 times
Most don't speak English and will have few job skills which will mean they'll have to have their housing costs paid for by the government. So I ask again, where will they be living?

Old 11-16-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It's obvious who bought the weapons, but it does appear they originated in Eastern Europe. I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here.
iSIS is the source of the money and eeapons. They are well financed and organized. They have their their own oil business.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
iSIS is the source of the money and eeapons. They are well financed and organized. They have their their own oil business.
Who here has disagreed that ISIS is behind the Paris attacks?

That said, it does seem to me the solution to the ISIS problem is financial. Cut them off from their Gulf sugar daddies and force Turkey to stop buying oil from them and they'd have a much harder time operating.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:58 PM

So why do you imagine they won't be among the refugees coming to America?

Old 11-16-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
So why do you imagine they won't be among the refugees coming to America?
1. My understanding is that the U.S. is concentrating on accepting "special needs" refugees with disabilities.

2. Most refugees are families with small children. In contrast, terrorists are almost always unattached young men.

3. Unlike Europe, we have the ability to control who gets into the U.S. from overseas pretty well. We will presumably be screening the migrants.

4. Going the Syrian refugee route would be too obvious. Why wouldn't ISIS try with some Bosnian or Black Muslim converts or something.

Nothing in life is certain of course. But even if we did have a terrorist attack on a similar scope to Paris, accepting the refugees would be worth it, as long as more innocent Syrians were saved than Americans who died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh