Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 11:35 AM

17 posts, read 17,519 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, the most depressing result of a stagnant or declining population is that there is no need/no funds for more light rail. I'm dyyying for the T to be extended ...and I don't foresee this happening in the near future.

I see it as a catch-22: more millennials would consider Pittsburgh if the light rail was more extensive with airport and east end access, however funding a more extensive light rail would only be viable if there was more of a demand for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 12:25 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
I was reading somewhere this week (forget what media it was) that there is a consortium here that traveled to Denver a couple years ago to see how they put together their massive transit plan. It includes commuter rail, light rail and buses. Salt Lake City is building an extensive system, too.

The catch is that the federal government no longer funds the bulk of the cost, so local and regional taxpayers usually vote for a .4% increase in the local sales tax to fund the projects. It's really the only viable way these days to do things like this.

In this anti-government/anti-tax/what's in it for me environment, though, it remains to be seen if something like this would fly in this area. I hope it would, because it would benefit everyone, whether they use it or not.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:58 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Why not reinstall street cars between downtown and the east end?

Old 04-01-2016, 01:02 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times
I really don't get the idea of building a light rail line to the airport. For it's cost, it would not be used by vast majority of city & county residents since they do not have nearby access to the existing light rail. A busway to the airport does make some sense to avoid traffic jams, and the cost is alot lower than rail. I think for light rail to the airport to be useful, it first has to cover much more of the city itself.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:39 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Why not reinstall street cars between downtown and the east end?
I like street cars, but they're really a gimmick in modern urban development. They're no faster than buses (since they go on city streets) low capacity, and unlike buses cannot be rerouted if there's construction on an emergency. They're actually cheaper to run if the lines already exist, but they're much more expensive to set up than buses.

If we want to set up a true mass transit system, we need grade-separated rail. nothing less will suffice.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:46 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I like street cars, but they're really a gimmick in modern urban development. They're no faster than buses (since they go on city streets) low capacity, and unlike buses cannot be rerouted if there's construction on an emergency. They're actually cheaper to run if the lines already exist, but they're much more expensive to set up than buses.

If we want to set up a true mass transit system, we need grade-separated rail. nothing less will suffice.
The T is no faster than busses using the busways. Right of ways on the surface can be established for streetcars. Digging underground or elevation just magnifies costs.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:29 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The T is no faster than busses using the busways. Right of ways on the surface can be established for streetcars. Digging underground or elevation just magnifies costs.

Its actually significantly quicker on the busway. About 16 minutes to town from Wilkinsburg on the bus, 25 minutes from northern Bethel Park for the same 8 mile trip.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:49 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey&raybans View Post
In my opinion, the most depressing result of a stagnant or declining population is that there is no need/no funds for more light rail. I'm dyyying for the T to be extended ...and I don't foresee this happening in the near future.

I see it as a catch-22: more millennials would consider Pittsburgh if the light rail was more extensive with airport and east end access, however funding a more extensive light rail would only be viable if there was more of a demand for it.
A much greater population is just one criteria needed to make a large expansion of light rail viable.

The other criteria is to have enough of the population traveling along the route to make the whole thing viable.

To get light rail out to Cranberry, you'd need a lot of people heading south to town every day (for work) as well as a lot of people heading north to Butler County.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:43 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
I think we have the population, but the density would be the deciding factors on feasibility. It's much more efficient for public transport if you have 3,000 people per square mile rather than 200 people per square mile. Stations can be walkable for denser populations (city and inner suburbs), but not for areas where everything is spread out and unwalkable. Park and ride lots would probably work better in the less dense areas.

And it should be on its own right-of-way. I know people are harking back to the romantic days when the streetcars plied actual streets, but don't forget that in the 40s and 50s Pittsburgh had a fraction of the cars it has today. Trolleys would be stuck inthe same traffic as everyone else. Most families, even if they had a car, had just one back in the day. Today, three and four-car families are not unusual.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:13 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
It took me 40 minutes today to get from Walnut Street in Shadyside to a client on Isabella Street on the North Shore. Forty minutes. It wasn't even rush-hour, either. This city is only going to grow so much until the traffic problem gets addressed. I'd be totally in favor of an additional 1% sales tax to fund more transit options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh