Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 11:19 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Everything said there is dead on...but as long as tix sell and those that buy those tix are satisfied, they'll stay the course.

Neal can't screw up working on the cheap. To stick his neck out and spend some $$$ is taking a risk he doesn't need to do and if it doesn't work, it won't sit well. It's a low risk low reward plan in regards to winning, but high reward when it comes to making $$$.

Honestly...Why spend if the majority of the fan base doesn't care if you do or not and winning isn't a priority?

I don't like it but you really can't blame the Bucs for it. If they don't sell tix for not winning they'll sell tix using even more gimmicks and promotions much like they did before they started winning. If tix keep selling for winning they'll continue to raise them but will stay the course. They've got it figured out perfectly.
I agree..... competitiveness is more important to them than actually taking the next step and winning it all. Personally..... I think this was a throwaway year to them after "making the playoffs" three years in a row. They are waiting to bring up some young guys the middle to end of this year to make a push next year again.

As long as they don't stink, butts will be in the seats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 12:13 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
I agree..... competitiveness is more important to them than actually taking the next step and winning it all. Personally..... I think this was a throwaway year to them after "making the playoffs" three years in a row. They are waiting to bring up some young guys the middle to end of this year to make a push next year again.

As long as they don't stink, butts will be in the seats.
Pretty sure the Bucs PR departments refer to it as a "bridge year"...but whatever one wants to name it, it's a huge assumption that the "prospects, prospects, prospects" are going to pan out.

How many years can you throw away if you truly want to win?

Cutch will be here at most one more full season. As mentioned, Cole and Liriano will be a memory, amongst others each time the "prospects, prospects, prospects" come around.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:29 PM

Not that they can't trade Cervelli, but what about Diaz?
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/178617...i-through-2019

Old 05-17-2016, 10:13 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Quote:
Not that they can't trade Cervelli, but what about Diaz?
Pirates sign Francisco Cervelli through 2019 | MLB.com
What about him? He has elbow problems. He had to have bones shaved. Lots of uncertainty about him at this point regarding ability to be the main guy. Plus his bat wasn't playing as well in AAA as in lower levels.

Anyway, delighted they got this done with Cervelli. Even though Taillon, Glasnow, Kuhl, et.al. are familiar with Diaz, I think Hurdle and Searage would rather have a veteran back there to deal with these guys when they arrive.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
What about him? He has elbow problems. He had to have bones shaved. Lots of uncertainty about him at this point regarding ability to be the main guy. Plus his bat wasn't playing as well in AAA as in lower levels.

Anyway, delighted they got this done with Cervelli. Even though Taillon, Glasnow, Kuhl, et.al. are familiar with Diaz, I think Hurdle and Searage would rather have a veteran back there to deal with these guys when they arrive.
Yeah. I'd like to see the "best farm system in MLB" coming along quicker and more consistently.

I'd have much rather seen them sign him and Happ, but it should be an interesting next few seasons. I expect fights for the WC at best.

I hope they find a Benedict replacement also. Pitching was going to be an obvious problem but it's looking rough right now and the Searage Treatment doesn't seem to be too consistent.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:04 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,741 times
Quote:
Yeah. I'd like to see the "best farm system in MLB" coming along quicker and more consistently.

I'd have much rather seen them sign him and Happ, but it should be an interesting next few seasons. I expect fights for the WC at best.

I hope they find a Benedict replacement also. Pitching was going to be an obvious problem but it's looking rough right now and the Searage Treatment doesn't seem to be too consistent.
They seem to have some impact pitching, but I don't see a ton of impact bats in the system.

Happ with the two young guys, Cole, and Liriano (although for just one more year) would be sweet.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
They seem to have some impact pitching, but I don't see a ton of impact bats in the system.

Happ with the two young guys, Cole, and Liriano (although for just one more year) would be sweet.
For always been touted as the best farm system in MLB, it's really not producing a lot.

If the pitching is indeed significant and has an impact I can see a WC. If not, it's going to be very difficult unless they get some pitching somewhere. Happ would have been a big deal for sure. The Searage Treatment doesn't seem to be serving as well as it used to.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:23 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
Quote:
For always been touted as the best farm system in MLB, it's really not producing a lot.

If the pitching is indeed significant and has an impact I can see a WC. If not, it's going to be very difficult unless they get some pitching somewhere. Happ would have been a big deal for sure. The Searage Treatment doesn't seem to be serving as well as it used to.
most of our starters right now came up through the farm system....

Old 05-19-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
most of our starters right now came up through the farm system....
4 including Cole.

Young pitching would be great. Time will tell.

Last edited by erieguy; 05-19-2016 at 08:01 AM..

Old 05-19-2016, 09:50 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post

Same here, good value especially when you compare to Russell Martin's.

While Martin did edge Cervelli in numbers last year geared toward power at least, its becoming pretty clear that a 5 year contract that some in the burgh were demanding we should have matched, would have been a huge mistake.

Martin 2015
Martin .240 avg, 23 HR, 77 RBI, .787 OPS, 3.3 WAR
Cervelli .280 avg, 7 HR, 43 RBI, .771 OPS, 3.1 WAR

through 1/4 of the season
Martin, .171 avg, 0 HR, 8 RBI, .416 OPS., -0.8 WAR (43k, 8 BB)
Cervelli .280 avg, 0 HR, 20 RBI, .711 OPS, 0.4 WAR (26k, 21 BB)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh