Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 09:32 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times

Advertisements

At least they play 3 against the Angels and Polanco should be back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 06:09 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,924,863 times
I just think that the pitching is so weak on this team that it'll be interesting to see what happens moving forward. I've had the feeling that they are hanging on by a thread for awhile now. I don't like the trend of decent pitching shutting them down either, so the Angels/Mets/Cards stretch will be rough.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
I just think that the pitching is so weak on this team that it'll be interesting to see what happens moving forward. I've had the feeling that they are hanging on by a thread for awhile now. I don't like the trend of decent pitching shutting them down either, so the Angels/Mets/Cards stretch will be rough.
A huge problem is a lack of demand for winning and/or winning a championship. Many are so happy with being above .500 and ecstatic about a WC berth that there's no reason to sure up holes, especially paying for pitching.

I also believe that Huntington is so afraid to make a mistake on a big name/contract that he'll just stay the course and keep the $$$ rolling in. Fans will defend paying on the cheap but will squawk for paying/overpaying for MLB talent. They'll point to the days of old with different ownership and a different GM, and defend Bob's $$$ to the end. In other words, just "stay the course" and "the future".

Old 06-03-2016, 11:45 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
A huge problem is a lack of demand for winning and/or winning a championship. Many are so happy with being above .500 and ecstatic about a WC berth that there's no reason to sure up holes, especially paying for pitching.

I also believe that Huntington is so afraid to make a mistake on a big name/contract that he'll just stay the course and keep the $$$ rolling in. Fans will defend paying on the cheap but will squawk for paying/overpaying for MLB talent. They'll point to the days of old with different ownership and a different GM, and defend Bob's $$$ to the end. In other words, just "stay the course" and "the future".

I challenge you to identify one person who was "ecstatic" over signing Vogelsong and Niese instead of a better starting option. I'll give you all week to get back to us.

I've believed they could go $10-$15 mill more on payroll the past 3-4 years. It didn't make any sense to do it before then because the team stank. I'm on record on that account going back as long as I've been on C-D.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I challenge you to identify one person who was "ecstatic" over signing Vogelsong and Niese instead of a better starting option. I'll give you all week to get back to us.

I've believed they could go $10-$15 mill more on payroll the past 3-4 years. It didn't make any sense to do it before then because the team stank. I'm on record on that account going back as long as I've been on C-D.
Ummm, never said anything about anyone being ecstatic over their signing. I said many are ecstatic over a WC berth and defend saving $$$ rather than filling holes or paying for pitching.

Interesting as you've defended their lack of spending, dealing deals, insisting their reported total revenue $$$ to be untrue, etc... You've defended Bob's business practices over signings for as long as I've seen your posts, actually.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:40 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Ummm, never said anything about anyone being ecstatic over their signing. I said many are ecstatic over a WC berth and defend saving $$$ rather than filling holes or paying for pitching.

Interesting as you've defended their lack of spending, dealing deals, insisting their reported total revenue $$$ to be untrue, etc... You've defended Bob's business practices over signings for as long as I've seen your posts, actually.
Show me a post where I've even remotely suggested their revenue #s were falsely reported.

I have said that I question #s that Madden (and you) were referencing regarding profits. But not revenue. Many sources have questioned the accuracy of Forbes' numbers as they don't account for all categories of expenses.

I've also noted several times that ticket prices are too low, especially given PNC has the 2nd smallest seating capacity in the NL. Last year the Royals average ticket price was >$9.75 more than the Bucs. If Bucs had same attendance and KC's average price, that's more than $24 million that could've been invested in the team.

Of course in Madden/erieguy land, that $24 million would necessarily be reinvested in more condos and snow-making machines and in Nutting's bank account.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Show me a post where I've even remotely suggested their revenue #s were falsely reported.

I have said that I question #s that Madden (and you) were referencing regarding profits. But not revenue. Many sources have questioned the accuracy of Forbes' numbers as they don't account for all categories of expenses.

I've also noted several times that ticket prices are too low, especially given PNC has the 2nd smallest seating capacity in the NL. Last year the Royals average ticket price was >$9.75 more than the Bucs. If Bucs had same attendance and KC's average price, that's more than $24 million that could've been invested in the team.

Of course in Madden/erieguy land, that $24 million would necessarily be reinvested in more condos and snow-making machines and in Nutting's bank account.
Actually, more often than not, your posts are defending revenue and Bucs spending.

Right, why would Forbes not know. It's only their business.

Actually that $24 million would be used to pay down the debt. Don't think even Bob could get away with condos, snow machines, etc...

I get it though. Fiscally conservative AARP types as you referenced yourself before, gotta watch out for spending...and I guess thats even if it's not your $$$.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:24 PM

Interesting there's no Neil Walker talk with him coming to town and his numbers being better than last year and more HR than anyone on the Bucs.

While I hope the Bucs sweep the series, I also hope Walker plays huge. He's way too classy to play for Bucs brass.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:01 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
If the Penguins win the Stanley Cup, more pressure will be put on the Pirates to win a World Series.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
If the Penguins win the Stanley Cup, more pressure will be put on the Pirates to win a World Series.
This will be their 4th Cup since the Bucs won a WS. I don't see Bucs brass/ownership having any pressure to win anything but tix sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh