Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 05:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Meh. I didn't leave you the snarky rep comment, but I will say St. Paul was a close runner-up for me when I was trying to figure out where to start my life over when the Northern Virginia rat race chewed me up and spit me out in 2010. Like it or not the Twin Cities rank VERY highly on many livability rankings. They're progressive on social issues like same-sex marriage and marijuana legalization (the Twin Cities dominate MN's politics more than Philly + Pittsburgh dominate PA's politics). They're very literate. They have amazing health care offerings and abundant recreational opportunities. Violent crime is much lower than it is in Pittsburgh (trust me when I tell you this has been an awful summer for crime in the Steel City).

There's an old saying that goes "if you've got it, then flaunt it". Pittsburgh edged out St. Paul for me because while both cities have great historic architecture and a largely walkable built environment (not to mention being almost the exact same size) I wouldn't be able to hack MN winters; the distance from the Twin Cities to my family in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is too vast; and the cost of housing is incredibly expensive for a non-coastal major metropolitan area. Otherwise, no offense intended to Pittsburgh's cheerleaders, I'd MUCH prefer to live in the Twin Cities.
You should go live there. You'd fit right in. Rah-rah Minnesota! J/K!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 05:10 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You should go live there. You'd fit right in. Rah-rah Minnesota! J/K!
I don't know why you'd feel so threatened by MN's reputation. If anything your current state of Colorado has the honor of emanating a much more favorable aura to many more Americans. Oh, and Denver's not as cold as St. Paul, either, so it certainly has that in its favor.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I don't know why you'd feel so threatened by MN's reputation. If anything your current state of Colorado has the honor of emanating a much more favorable aura to many more Americans. Oh, and Denver's not as cold as St. Paul, either, so it certainly has that in its favor.
Who said I was threatened? I surer than H*** don't want to live there! I find their rah-rah Minnesota, boo Wisconsin, etc, etc, parochial and annoying.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:54 AM

29 posts, read 28,541 times
Cincinnati. The hills, types of folks, river(s), size. In fact the 1993 movie "Airborne" was set in Cincy and the skateboard scenes were filmed in Pittsburgh. My dad loves that movie...the hills! He and I love cities with hills (Cincy/PB/SF) and they are sorely lacking in Philadelphia.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:25 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violetgoblin6 View Post
He and I love cities with hills (Cincy/PB/SF) and they are sorely lacking in Philadelphia.
Go to Manayunk in Philly, it looks just like many parts of Pittsburgh.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:10 PM

29 posts, read 28,541 times
Manyunk!

You're a great mind reader! I got lost coming back from Atlantic City and ended up in University City and then took the expressway to the TP (I live in central Bucks Co.). Drove past Manyunk and thought of Pittsburgh. I do not drive in Philly if I can help it (drove in LA though, go figure!) so it was my first look at what has evolved into the "in" place to live, especially for twenty something professionals. My dad used to talk about the hills and the area being a "dump" when I was a child in the 1980s. It certainly seems to have changed! Fun fact: my father's old neighborhood: Chestnut Hill, is the highest point of Philadelphia county.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:25 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Go to Manayunk in Philly, it looks just like many parts of Pittsburgh.
I chuckled the first time I saw Manayunk. It would fit seamlessly into the Pittsburgh area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh