Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 05:57 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,094,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I don't think anyone is complaining about the cost of gas. The complaint is about PA gas tax vs Ohio.
Fair point. The recent increase in NJ's gas tax essentially made the big price differential between the two states vanish overnight. Here's hoping OH raises its gas tax.

I have listened to PennDot Secretary Leslie Richards tell a group of 200 business and academic leaders that since the passage of the gas tax, her cohorts in other states are jealous, and say, "How did you get that passed in PA?"

Infrastructure in this country is grossly underfunded and I am glad that for once, we did something positive before everyone else. My biggest fear with Wolf potentially being a one-termer is that whatever anti-tax crusader that replaces him rolls back the tax with support of politicians like Darth Metcalfe and Brad Roae.

Last edited by BPP1999; 12-26-2016 at 06:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 05:59 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Good time to buy a Tessla.
Tesla Model 3 parked on city streets wouldn't be bad but beyond that it would be interesting with parking chair season approaching.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:06 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Tesla Model 3 parked on city streets wouldn't be bad but beyond that it would be interesting with parking chair season approaching.
If you have the money for a Tessla, chances are you own a garage.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Good call. I'm used to 2-4 car garages muphere.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:34 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,214 times
Quote:
Good call. I'm used to 2-4 car garages muphere.
I have been trying to figure out for months how to pronounce "muphere" but can't figure it out for the life of me. Is it mup-here, like the muppets? Or is it moof-air, with the ph sounding like f? Is it supposed to mean "up here"? As in north? lol inquiring minds need to know.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:39 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,165 times
Quote:
An you probably wouldn't care about an eight cent gas price increase either.

Any rate the money is going to something that is badly needed. Ohip doesn't have our topography, our bridges and tunnels and hills. Maintaining their roads may not be quite as difficult.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I have been trying to figure out for months how to pronounce "muphere" but can't figure it out for the life of me. Is it mup-here, like the muppets? Or is it moof-air, with the ph sounding like f? Is it supposed to mean "up here"? As in north? lol inquiring minds need to know.
It's what many say(not limited to city folk)when one travels most anywhere north of da 'burgh.

Northern person: Hi, where are you from?

Pittsburgher: I'm muphere(Im-mup-here)from Pittsburgh.

It works for traveling south also: I'm dahnhere from Pittsburgh.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:41 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
The only person I know who uses it is SCR, and he is given to British spellings and punctuation, so I thought it might be a Britishism. I thought it was pronounced MOO-fear, and meant something like "beyond the stratosphere."

Old 12-26-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Fair point. The recent increase in NJ's gas tax essentially made the big price differential between the two states vanish overnight. Here's hoping OH raises its gas tax.

I have listened to PennDot Secretary Leslie Richards tell a group of 200 business and academic leaders that since the passage of the gas tax, her cohorts in other states are jealous, and say, "How did you get that passed in PA?"

Infrastructure in this country is grossly underfunded and I am glad that for once, we did something positive before everyone else. My biggest fear with Wolf potentially being a one-termer is that whatever anti-tax crusader that replaces him rolls back the tax with support of politicians like Darth Metcalfe and Darth Roae.
I don't think anyone has issue with it as long as it's truly put to good use. It's pretty short-sided to ASSUME it's going to be put to good use, however.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
The only person I know who uses it is SCR, and he is given to British spellings and punctuation, so I thought it might be a Britishism. I thought it was pronounced MOO-fear, and meant something like "beyond the stratosphere."
The term has been used and laughed about for decades. Unless one travels out of the area or it's brought to their attention if they do, most don't realize they even say it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh